Cannot enable firewall!

I cannot enable the firewall on my PC. Whenever I log on I get a red
balloon in the taskbar telling me that the firewall is not enabled.
When I try to enable it, I get the message "Windows cannot start the
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service".

I have also noticed that the task manager is unavailable at start-up,
as is the Registry Editor and the command prompt. I have managed to
rectify these problems, and have installed and run the
WinsockXPFix.exe tool.

However, when I reboot after doing all this, I am back to square one
again - no task manager, no Registry Editor etc. and the firewall is
still not enabled!

Can anyone tell me what to do now?

Thanks,
Calum
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot enable firewall

    Calum wrote:

    > I cannot enable the firewall on my PC. Whenever I log on I get a red
    > balloon in the taskbar telling me that the firewall is not enabled.
    > When I try to enable it, I get the message "Windows cannot start the
    > Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service".
    >
    > I have also noticed that the task manager is unavailable at start-up,
    > as is the Registry Editor and the command prompt. I have managed to
    > rectify these problems, and have installed and run the
    > WinsockXPFix.exe tool.
    >
    > However, when I reboot after doing all this, I am back to square one
    > again - no task manager, no Registry Editor etc. and the firewall is
    > still not enabled!

    These are all symptoms of an infected computer. Remove malware as
    follows, using updated tools and scanning in Safe Mode:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions. If you do not have a full-featured
    av installed on your computer, first get and scan with TrendMicro's
    Sysclean (instructions follow malware removal links). After scanning
    with Sysclean, make sure you get a full-featured av, install it, update
    it, and do a complete scan in Safe Mode.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix (or WinSockFix for XP which you
    can get from MajorGeeks) - see links below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
    removing spyware
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://aumha.net - forums
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

    General:
    http://aumha.net - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which has the
    advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts - the
    scanning engine and the virus pattern files.

    1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
    useful like "Sysclean".
    2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:

    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files

    The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
    WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
    put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made.

    3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
    tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
    menu.
    4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
    Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
    need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
    able to be removed so you can manually delete them.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    I have followed all the steps above and the problem is still there!
    Task mangager is still disabled when I log on, and the firewall
    cannot be enabled!

    I don't know what else I can do...please help!

    Calum wrote:

    > I have followed all the steps above and the problem is still there!
    > Task mangager is still disabled when I log on, and the firewall
    > cannot be enabled!
    >
    > I don't know what else I can do...please help!

    You are completely sure that your computer is 100% spyware and
    virus-free? What antivirus program did you use? Do you have the MS
    AntiSpyware beta program installed?

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

    Hi,
    Have you altered the services.msc ?

    The Firewall options to be fully enabled need some services to be
    running.

    Clicking start, run, then in the run dialog, type services.msc, hit
    enter.

    To my experience the following services must be running:

    Application Layer Gateway Service [Started] -Manual-

    Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) [Started]
    -Automatic-

    Wireless Zero Configuration
    Currently mine is disabled but put it on manual and start the service
    for a while because
    is required for the Windows Security Center to give you the option to
    change the way it alerts you
    after I done this I disabled it

    I'm not sure if it requires other services namelly (I didn't disable it
    yet):
    Security Center

    --
    F1G0
    F1G0's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=10357

    I think the problem is to do with a file called mypic.scr I was sent
    via MSN Messenger. I accepted it before knowing what it was and this
    must have caused all the trouble.

    I have done a bit of research and this mypic.scr is linked to the
    W32.Yaha worm. So I downloaded the tool to fix it but it failed to
    find the worm on my computer. I don't know what to do now as all the
    symptoms of this worm are there (XP firewall, Task Manager, regedit,
    System Restore, command prompt all disabled), but it says that I
    don't have this worm!

    Can anyone suggest what else I can do???

    Calum wrote:

    > I think the problem is to do with a file called mypic.scr I was sent
    > via MSN Messenger. I accepted it before knowing what it was and this
    > must have caused all the trouble.
    >
    > I have done a bit of research and this mypic.scr is linked to the
    > W32.Yaha worm. So I downloaded the tool to fix it but it failed to
    > find the worm on my computer. I don't know what to do now as all the
    > symptoms of this worm are there (XP firewall, Task Manager, regedit,
    > System Restore, command prompt all disabled), but it says that I
    > don't have this worm!
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what else I can do???

    Don't you have a full-featured antivirus installed? Apparently not, or
    if you do perhaps it is an older version and the subscription has
    expired. The W32.Yaha worm is old and there are many new worms out,
    including the MSN messenger worm. The tool you downloaded is specific
    and won't clean anything but the old worm it was written to remove.

    If my assumptions about your antivirus status are correct, start
    cleaning up with TrendMicro's Sysclean after deleting all Temporary and
    Temporary Internet files:

[...]

    After your scan with Sysclean, get a full-featured av, install it,
    update it, and do a thorough scan in Safe Mode. And practice Safe Hex
    in the future.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

    I've seen the windows firewall disabled after removing spyware using either
    the MS Antispyware tool or Adaware, Spybot or others. It seems some spyware
    messes with the Winsock files to redirect you to their affiliate sites.
    Until you fix the Winsock settings, it will redirect you every time you open
    IE and reinstall the spyware.
    The Windows Firewall error message goes something like this...
    The windows firewall can not start because the underlying service is not
    running, do you want to start it now?
    The Internet connection Sharing/Windows firewall could not be started.

    To repair the winsock problem and re-enable the firewall the steps are as
    follows:
    start
    run
    type: cmd.exe
    in the next window...spaces and all type: netsh winsock reset
    you will have to reboot for the changes to take effect
    --
    For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!

    "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Calum wrote:
    >
    >> I think the problem is to do with a file called mypic.scr I was sent
    >> via MSN Messenger. I accepted it before knowing what it was and this
    >> must have caused all the trouble.
    >>
    >> I have done a bit of research and this mypic.scr is linked to the
    >> W32.Yaha worm. So I downloaded the tool to fix it but it failed to
    >> find the worm on my computer. I don't know what to do now as all the
    >> symptoms of this worm are there (XP firewall, Task Manager, regedit,
    >> System Restore, command prompt all disabled), but it says that I
    >> don't have this worm!
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest what else I can do???
    >
    > Don't you have a full-featured antivirus installed? Apparently not, or
    > if you do perhaps it is an older version and the subscription has
    > expired. The W32.Yaha worm is old and there are many new worms out,
    > including the MSN messenger worm. The tool you downloaded is specific
    > and won't clean anything but the old worm it was written to remove.
    >
    > If my assumptions about your antivirus status are correct, start
    > cleaning up with TrendMicro's Sysclean after deleting all Temporary and
    > Temporary Internet files:
    >
    > TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which has the
    > advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts - the
    > scanning engine and the virus pattern files.
    >
    > 1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
    > useful like "Sysclean".
    > 2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:
    >
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files
    >
    > The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
    > WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
    > put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made.
    >
    > 3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
    > tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
    > menu.
    > 4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
    > Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
    > need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
    > able to be removed so you can manually delete them.
    >
    > After your scan with Sysclean, get a full-featured av, install it,
    > update it, and do a thorough scan in Safe Mode. And practice Safe Hex
    > in the future.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

Firewalls Task Manager Internet Connection Windows XP