Advice....... Don't upgrade just for Doom3 !

This game is really not worth the fuss.
It's only good to bring down the performance of an excellent system to its knees.

Let's face it... Doom3 is a repetitive 'shoot the incoming monster', next.
It does deliver a good gaming experience for a decent system, but frankly it's
nothing new in the area of gaming experience.

Those thinking about upgrading a rad9600/9800 to X800 of Nvidia 6800 are
throwing their money away.
I bet next year this game will sell for 30$ in the bin. Not worth much more, unless
you have not already played DOOM1 on a 486, over and over.
It's a dumb shooter with overwhelming graphics... Sure it's chillin scary at times,
but not worth an upgrade or even the full price.

My two cents;
Take a peek at this funny review; With some truth in it.
http://www.afrotechmods.com/groovy/review/d3review/doom3.htm

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:17:16 -0400, "Art Simpson" <Alfred@NOSPAM.ever>
wrote:

>This game is really not worth the fuss.
>It's only good to bring down the performance of an excellent system to its knees.
I didn't have much trouble with an OC'd 3200 barton and 9800pro with
no AF or AA. But then again, if the frame rate dropped, would anyone
be able to tell? Those screenshots in the review you listed below are
pretty accurate. I'm not understanding how people come up with the
idea that the graphisc are great. FarCry has Great graphics, and
they're all in your face for the most part. D3, IF it does have great
graphics, hides them in darkness. I'm not convinced they're there in
the first place. BTW, does anyone else think the flashlight and it's
effects are the lamest thing they've seen in a game lately.

>Let's face it... Doom3 is a repetitive 'shoot the incoming monster', next.
>It does deliver a good gaming experience for a decent system, but frankly it's
>nothing new in the area of gaming experience.
It's a 3d version of the origonal doom. Shoot, gather, shoot, gather,
with a cutscene thrown in every now and then.

>Those thinking about upgrading a rad9600/9800 to X800 of Nvidia 6800 are
>throwing their money away.
>I bet next year this game will sell for 30$ in the bin. Not worth much more, unless
I bet next month.

>you have not already played DOOM1 on a 486, over and over.
>It's a dumb shooter with overwhelming graphics... Sure it's chillin scary at times,
>but not worth an upgrade or even the full price.
It's more annoying than chilling or scary to me. Yea, the Imp's
fireball effects look cool, but that's about it for me. What's the
idea of not being able to hold a flashlight with one hand and fiire a
pistol from the other?

>My two cents;
>Take a peek at this funny review; With some truth in it.
>http://www.afrotechmods.com/groovy/review/d3review/doom3.htm

There's a LOT of truth there. I agree that there will probably be
other games based on the D3 engine to come out that may be awesome,
but D3 is not, IMHO, living up to ANY of the hype.

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love

"Art Simpson" <Alfred@NOSPAM.ever> wrote in message
> This game is really not worth the fuss.
> It's only good to bring down the performance of an excellent system to its
knees.

> Let's face it... Doom3 is a repetitive 'shoot the incoming monster', next.
> It does deliver a good gaming experience for a decent system, but frankly
it's
> nothing new in the area of gaming experience.
>
> Those thinking about upgrading a rad9600/9800 to X800 of Nvidia 6800 are
> throwing their money away.
> I bet next year this game will sell for 30$ in the bin. Not worth much
more, unless
> you have not already played DOOM1 on a 486, over and over.
> It's a dumb shooter with overwhelming graphics... Sure it's chillin scary
at times,
> but not worth an upgrade or even the full price.

I think Doom 3 is a pretty good game, although not outright excellent. I
also agree with your advice not to upgrade just because of this one game.
It's not the Second Coming.

The fact too is that Doom 3 is an OpenGL game. OpenGL games are in the
minority. Yes, we will see games in the future based on this new engine,
but DirectX will still continue to rule. While I don't doubt that both ATI
and nVidia have great graphics cards in their new X800 and 6800 series
cards, respectively, Doom 3 is not worth making a hardware change over if
you already have reasonably good hardware.

I have a P4 2.8GHz (800MHz FSB) processor, 1GB of PC-3200 RAM and a 128MB
Radeon 9800 Pro. Doom 3 runs well on my system. Currently, I have it set
to 1024x768 in high detail and I'm quite happy. I do experience the odd
split-second pause sometimes when a new area opens up or if an enemy jumps
at me, but I don't have any real complaints. If anything, since Doom 3 is a
next generation engine, it tells me that I don't need to make any hardware
changes this year, and probably not next year. It almost looks certain now
that I won't make any further hardware changes until sometime in 2006. I
can also run Doom 3 at 1280x1024 resolution in high detail, and while it
drops a few frames here and there, it's still quite playable. I suspect
performance will only improve as ATI makes improvements to their OpenGL
drivers. I have no worries about running my 9800 Pro into the future.

I haven't fully completed Doom 3 yet, but I agree that it's nothing
revolutionary in terms of gameplay and I also don't find it to be very
scary. Maybe I'm desensitized to horror themes. I do like the Lost Souls
though!

One thing that may help some users, which I read in another newsgroup, is to
make one change to the Doomconfig.cfg file. If you have the game set to
high detail, there is one line that reads:

seta image_anistropy "8"

If you change that 8 to a 2, it may improve game performance for you. I
employed this tweak a couple of days ago and have had no trouble with the
game as a result to making such an unofficial tweak.

Also, someone said something about another line in the same file, but I have
not tried this one:

seta image_cachemegs "32"

He suggested changing this to 96 or 128 instead. Mine is set to 20 by
default (maybe because I have 1GB of RAM), but I have not made any
adjustments to it. I have the impression that you should have a bare
minimum of 512MB of system memory before making such a change though.

"Art Simpson" <Alfred@NOSPAM.ever> wrote in message
> This game is really not worth the fuss.
> It's only good to bring down the performance of an excellent system to its
knees.

I think the key point in this argument is that the Doom 3 engine is likley
to form the basis of a lot of games to come so it probably is an engine you
want to be able to run well.

> IF it does have great
> graphics, hides them in darkness. I'm not convinced they're there in
> the first place.

Play the gorgeous looking Hell levels and then apologise to iD, hehe.

>Play the gorgeous looking Hell levels and then apologise to iD, hehe.

I just played it. I had moderate hopes for it since some people have
been raving about it. It failed to meet even my moderate hopes.
I stand by my opinion, the game is garbage.

Art Simpson wrote:

> Let's face it... Doom3 is a repetitive 'shoot the incoming monster',
> next.
> It does deliver a good gaming experience for a decent system, but
> frankly it's nothing new in the area of gaming experience.

Why are so many people complaining that Doom 3 isn't delivering something
new? Doom 3 was never said to have innovative gameplay, only great graphics.
We were promised a Doom-like shooter with great graphics and that's exactly
what Doom 3 is.

As a fan of shooters, I'm completely satisfied with Doom 3. It delivers what
has been promised and for that, ID Software should be praised.

If you're looking for an intelligent shooter, then go somewhere else. Doom 3
is a straight shoot-'em'-up and that's just what was intended. If you were
expecting anything else, you have completely misunderstood everything that
was ever said about Doom 3 prior to its release.

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

--
Steun Willow!
Surf naar www.briandickens.nl

Art Simpson wrote:

> Let's face it... Doom3 is a repetitive 'shoot the incoming monster',
> next.
> It does deliver a good gaming experience for a decent system, but
> frankly it's nothing new in the area of gaming experience.

Why are so many people complaining that Doom 3 isn't delivering something
new? Doom 3 was never said to have innovative gameplay, only great graphics.
We were promised a Doom-like shooter with great graphics and that's exactly
what Doom 3 is.

As a fan of shooters, I'm completely satisfied with Doom 3. It delivers what
has been promised and for that, ID Software should be praised.

If you're looking for an intelligent shooter, then go somewhere else. Doom 3
is a straight shoot-'em'-up and that's just what was intended. If you were
expecting anything else, you have completely misunderstood everything that
was ever said about Doom 3 prior to its release.

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 01:41:19 +0200, "Brian Dickens"
<newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote:

>Why are so many people complaining that Doom 3 isn't delivering something
>new? Doom 3 was never said to have innovative gameplay, only great graphics.
>We were promised a Doom-like shooter with great graphics and that's exactly
>what Doom 3 is.

No it's not. Doom3 is so graphics intensive that it can't support the
type of mayhem that was Doom1/2 on today's top end machines.

Jd

I installed doom 3 on my older computer to see how it would handle it,
timedemo gave result of 12.4 FPS. Low quality, everything else turned off.
Computer is 1.2ghz and 64MB Geforce 2 GTS. It is a little annoying but
still playable in the first level anyway, it would probably lag too much
later though. So no one *needs* to upgrade if I can run it on that!

"Art Simpson" <Alfred@NOSPAM.ever> wrote in message
> This game is really not worth the fuss.
> It's only good to bring down the performance of an excellent system to its
knees.

> Let's face it... Doom3 is a repetitive 'shoot the incoming monster', next.
> It does deliver a good gaming experience for a decent system, but frankly
it's
> nothing new in the area of gaming experience.
>
> Those thinking about upgrading a rad9600/9800 to X800 of Nvidia 6800 are
> throwing their money away.
> I bet next year this game will sell for 30$ in the bin. Not worth much
more, unless
> you have not already played DOOM1 on a 486, over and over.
> It's a dumb shooter with overwhelming graphics... Sure it's chillin scary
at times,
> but not worth an upgrade or even the full price.
>
> My two cents;
> Take a peek at this funny review; With some truth in it.
> http://www.afrotechmods.com/groovy/review/d3review/doom3.htm

Opinion noted and for the majority of it, agreed upon. However ppl have to
realise id make game engines which are used by other developers for their
own games. A new generation of games and thusly computer spec requirements
will emerge. Personally, I'd say check out DOOM3 and see how your system
goes. If it chugs on the lower settings, guess what - time to upgrade,
because all you're going to see from now on is games using that same engine.

"Art Simpson" <Alfred@NOSPAM.ever> wrote in message
> This game is really not worth the fuss.
> It's only good to bring down the performance of an excellent system to its
> knees.
>
> Let's face it... Doom3 is a repetitive 'shoot the incoming monster', next.
> It does deliver a good gaming experience for a decent system, but frankly
> it's
> nothing new in the area of gaming experience.
>
> Those thinking about upgrading a rad9600/9800 to X800 of Nvidia 6800 are
> throwing their money away.
> I bet next year this game will sell for 30$ in the bin. Not worth much
> more, unless
> you have not already played DOOM1 on a 486, over and over.
> It's a dumb shooter with overwhelming graphics... Sure it's chillin scary
> at times,
> but not worth an upgrade or even the full price.
>
> My two cents;
> Take a peek at this funny review; With some truth in it.
> http://www.afrotechmods.com/groovy/review/d3review/doom3.htm

I completely agree with Art Simpson, I had exactly the same feelings about
DOOM3. It isn't much fun and it drags down my very fast system (P4 3.2ghz,
9800 Pro OC'd, SATA RAID, 1GB !000FSB. Save your money, the game bored me
in 10 minutes......

"Blaedmon" <ass@hell.com> wrote in message
> Opinion noted and for the majority of it, agreed upon. However ppl have to
> realise id make game engines which are used by other developers for their
> own games. A new generation of games and thusly computer spec requirements
> will emerge. Personally, I'd say check out DOOM3 and see how your system
> goes. If it chugs on the lower settings, guess what - time to upgrade,
> because all you're going to see from now on is games using that same
engine.

I agree with this logic 100%. Doom 3 itself is not worth making a hardware
change over, but it does raise the bar in terms of game engines. I still
think potential upgraders could hold off for a few more months if they
wanted while the shift starts to happen.

"Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> left a note on my windscreen which
said:

> > This game is really not worth the fuss.
> > It's only good to bring down the performance of an excellent system to its
> knees.
>
> I think the key point in this argument is that the Doom 3 engine is likley
> to form the basis of a lot of games to come so it probably is an engine you
> want to be able to run well.

I think the people interested in making D3 powered games would we
advised to wait and see how well it will do with larger arenas or
outdoor areas before buying the license.

I wonder if we'll hear an announcement from 3DRealms anytime soon ;)
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

..

> I think the key point in this argument is that the Doom 3 engine is
> likley to form the basis of a lot of games to come so it probably is
> an engine you want to be able to run well.

Hell no.
Daitakana 2.. Mmmmn sorry, Doom 3 seems to have an engine that is so specialized that it could only
run a game with a small number of enemies, use small room areas, and that went over the top with
texturing whilst using small poly counts.
That would mean that it could only really handle games that were Doom 3 IMO. Its a bit of a white
elephant as it is. I dont believe most game developers would invest in an engine that had such high
specifications to run at a standard gaming resolution and quality. The CRYEngine seems a far better
bet, unless the Doom engine gets seriously optimized.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:30:13 +0100, "Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind>
wrote:

>"Art Simpson" <Alfred@NOSPAM.ever> wrote in message
>> This game is really not worth the fuss.
>> It's only good to bring down the performance of an excellent system to its
>knees.
>
>I think the key point in this argument is that the Doom 3 engine is likley
>to form the basis of a lot of games to come so it probably is an engine you
>want to be able to run well.

I'll take the Unreal Tourney engine games ;)

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote
> seta image_anistropy "8"
> If you change that 8 to a 2, it may improve game performance for you. I
> employed this tweak a couple of days ago and have had no trouble with the
> game as a result to making such an unofficial tweak.

Doesn't that game have any kind of in-game settings to change
or why the hell does everything have to be somehow tweaked
via console or cfg-files?? No brightness controls either, or why
somebody adviced to up the gamma from the console? Seems
like a very interesting bulk game indeed altough I haven't seen
it in action myself...

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

I think the key point in this argument is that the Doom 3 engine is likley
to form the basis of a lot of games to come so it probably is an engine you
want to be able to run well.

I think thats quite an assumption since I can only think of Quake 4 thats
supposed to be using this engine. The Unreal 1 engine was used in quite a
few games but how many U2 based games have there been ? More developers
write their own engines these days so I doubt we'll see as many D3 engine
games as came from the Q3 engine.

"Art Simpson" <Alfred@NOSPAM.ever> wrote in message
> I bet next year this game will sell for 30$ in the bin.

That's funny. So will any other game, no matter how good. What's your
point?
--
NP:
Brett Tyre

Brett Tyre wrote:
> "Art Simpson" <Alfred@NOSPAM.ever> wrote in message
>> I bet next year this game will sell for 30$ in the bin.
>
> That's funny. So will any other game, no matter how good. What's
> your point?

All this crazy HYPE for a game with great textures. Why does it look so
good?

Because you are almost ALWAYS in a narrow hallway.

Big whoopie!

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:53:58 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote:

>Also, someone said something about another line in the same file, but I have
>not tried this one:
>
>seta image_cachemegs "32"
>
>He suggested changing this to 96 or 128 instead. Mine is set to 20 by
>default (maybe because I have 1GB of RAM), but I have not made any
>adjustments to it. I have the impression that you should have a bare
>minimum of 512MB of system memory before making such a change though.

You really should try this tweak.. it will elimate the hitching you
get when you open doors and drop down into new areas. Since you have 1
gig like I do you should put it at 256. Here's what mine looks like..
just copy paste.

seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "256"
seta image_cacheMinK "20480"

Make sure you do all three.

Pluvious

"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message

> You really should try this tweak.. it will elimate the hitching you
> get when you open doors and drop down into new areas. Since you have 1
> gig like I do you should put it at 256. Here's what mine looks like..
> just copy paste.
>
> seta image_useCache "1"
> seta image_cacheMegs "256"
> seta image_cacheMinK "20480"
>
> Make sure you do all three.
>
> Pluvious

Thanks, I'll try that shortly! What exactly are the image_useCache and
image_cacheMinK lines about?

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:17:16 -0400, "Art Simpson" <Alfred@NOSPAM.ever> wrote:

>This game is really not worth the fuss.
>It's only good to bring down the performance of an excellent system to its knees.
>
>Let's face it... Doom3 is a repetitive 'shoot the incoming monster', next.
>It does deliver a good gaming experience for a decent system, but frankly it's
>nothing new in the area of gaming experience.
>
>Those thinking about upgrading a rad9600/9800 to X800 of Nvidia 6800 are
>throwing their money away.

Imo, it would be better game if it's was playable with 3d glass add having some sort of stick to
reproduce the effect of a hand gun.

And again imo a the 9800 ati card family is the minimum requirement to play the game on any system
but again there is some isolated case like oc 9700 card with athlon64 system that can manage to play
whit the beast.

it would be better to upgrade the mobo to a nf3 board and getting a xp64 or else...

c-a

Gonzo

"neopolaris" <.> wrote in message news:10hf73aghuhbj63@corp.supernews.com...

> Brett Tyre wrote:
> > "Art Simpson" <Alfred@NOSPAM.ever> wrote in message
> >> I bet next year this game will sell for 30$ in the bin.
> >
> > That's funny. So will any other game, no matter how good. What's
> > your point?
>
> All this crazy HYPE for a game with great textures. Why does it look so
> good?
>
> Because you are almost ALWAYS in a narrow hallway.
>

> Big whoopie!

I agree. I don't see what the big deal is. All I see is dark cramped
spaces. Then again I only have an 8500 so that might be it.

Im not impressed with D3. Now FarCry running under my old 8500 made my jaw
drop first time I see it. FC is still the king of eye candy IMHO.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a new card?

I think you guys kind of missed my point.

I wasn't defending Doom 3 in particular (I like it...but I won't get in to
it here). I'm stating that no matter how good or bad a game is, they all
end up in the clearance bin.

UT2003 for example. It's great. It went from $79.99 Canadian to $34.99
Canadian. Return to Castle Wolfenstein, not so great. I saw it at some
places for $99.99 Canadian and sure enough, a few months later, $29.99.

My point was that so what if Doom 3 is in the bin for $30 next year? Far
Cry, Painkiller, UT2004, and all the others will be in there with it
eventually.