Prevent Computer Name Change

We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is that the
local users are also Admins.

From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking this may
be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a difference other
than how its implemented. I would welcome any insights anyone may have to
offer who have been down this road or have knowledge of the subject matter.
Anyway, thanks for reading.

Regards,

Scott R
5 answers Last reply
More about prevent computer change

    ScottR wrote:

    > We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
    > changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is
    > that the local users are also Admins.
    >
    > From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking
    > this may
    > be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a difference
    > other than how its implemented. I would welcome any insights anyone
    > may have to offer who have been down this road or have knowledge of
    > the subject matter. Anyway, thanks for reading.

    What version of XP, Pro or Home? In either case, an Administrator can do
    anything. If you have Pro, make those users Power Users instead and use
    Group Policy Editor (Start>Run gpedit.msc [enter]) to set restrictions
    on that group as desired. If you have Home, you only have the choice of
    Administrator or Limited User. In that case, Doug Knox's Security
    Console app might be useful. Get it/check it out at his website:

    www.dougknox.com

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    ScottR wrote:
    > We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
    > changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is
    > that the local users are also Admins.
    >
    > From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking
    > this may be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a
    > difference other than how its implemented. I would welcome any
    > insights anyone may have to offer who have been down this road or
    > have knowledge of the subject matter. Anyway, thanks for reading.

    If the users are administrators, any advice is moot.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    ScottR wrote:
    > We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
    > changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is that the
    > local users are also Admins.
    >
    > From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking this may
    > be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a difference other
    > than how its implemented. I would welcome any insights anyone may have to
    > offer who have been down this road or have knowledge of the subject matter.
    > Anyway, thanks for reading.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Scott R

    What challenge? Simply remove the local user accounts from the local
    Admin Group.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    ScottR wrote:
    > We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
    > changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is that the
    > local users are also Admins.
    >
    > From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking this may
    > be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a difference other
    > than how its implemented. I would welcome any insights anyone may have to
    > offer who have been down this road or have knowledge of the subject matter.
    > Anyway, thanks for reading.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Scott R

    People who can't be trusted, shouldn't be administrators.
    Put a sign on the computer, "Changing the computer name or workgroup
    is grounds for termination." and MEAN IT!
    mike

    ..
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    All very good points - thank you. The laptops are running XP Pro SP1 - sorry
    for not including. This is quite a political situation in that they will
    remain local admins (copy of local admin) and I have been told I cannot
    change this.

    Thank you for reading and responding.

    Scott R

    "mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > ScottR wrote:
    > > We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
    > > changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is that
    the
    > > local users are also Admins.
    > >
    > > From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking this
    may
    > > be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a difference
    other
    > > than how its implemented. I would welcome any insights anyone may have
    > > offer who have been down this road or have knowledge of the subject
    matter.
    > > Anyway, thanks for reading.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Scott R
    > >

    > People who can't be trusted, shouldn't be administrators.
    > Put a sign on the computer, "Changing the computer name or workgroup
    > is grounds for termination." and MEAN IT!
    > mike
    >
    > --
    > Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
    > with links. Delete this sig when replying.
    > .
    > Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
    > FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
    > Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
    > Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
    > MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
    > ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Computers Windows XP