Prevent Computer Name Change

We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is that the
local users are also Admins.

From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking this may
be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a difference other
than how its implemented. I would welcome any insights anyone may have to
offer who have been down this road or have knowledge of the subject matter.
Anyway, thanks for reading.

Regards,

Scott R

Malke

ScottR wrote:

> We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
> changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is
> that the local users are also Admins.
>
> From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking
> this may
> be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a difference
> other than how its implemented. I would welcome any insights anyone
> may have to offer who have been down this road or have knowledge of
> the subject matter. Anyway, thanks for reading.

What version of XP, Pro or Home? In either case, an Administrator can do
anything. If you have Pro, make those users Power Users instead and use
Group Policy Editor (Start>Run gpedit.msc [enter]) to set restrictions
on that group as desired. If you have Home, you only have the choice of
Administrator or Limited User. In that case, Doug Knox's Security
Console app might be useful. Get it/check it out at his website:

www.dougknox.com

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

ScottR wrote:
> We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
> changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is
> that the local users are also Admins.
>
> From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking
> this may be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a
> difference other than how its implemented. I would welcome any
> insights anyone may have to offer who have been down this road or
> have knowledge of the subject matter. Anyway, thanks for reading.

If the users are administrators, any advice is moot.

--
<- Shenan ->

ScottR wrote:
> We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
> changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is that the
> local users are also Admins.
>
> From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking this may
> be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a difference other
> than how its implemented. I would welcome any insights anyone may have to
> offer who have been down this road or have knowledge of the subject matter.
> Anyway, thanks for reading.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott R

What challenge? Simply remove the local user accounts from the local
Admin Group.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Mike

Splendid

ScottR wrote:
> We have standalone computers which we need to prevent the user(s) from
> changing the Computer and Workgroup names. The challenge for us is that the
> local users are also Admins.
>
> From others post KB293655 holds a lot of promise but I am thinking this may
> be more registry than policy - not that there is much of a difference other
> than how its implemented. I would welcome any insights anyone may have to
> offer who have been down this road or have knowledge of the subject matter.
> Anyway, thanks for reading.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott R

People who can't be trusted, shouldn't be administrators.
Put a sign on the computer, "Changing the computer name or workgroup
is grounds for termination." and MEAN IT!
mike

..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

All very good points - thank you. The laptops are running XP Pro SP1 - sorry
for not including. This is quite a political situation in that they will
remain local admins (copy of local admin) and I have been told I cannot
change this.

Thank you for reading and responding.

Scott R