Real Doom 3 performance boost

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 9, 2004 2:36:07 AM

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874

Forget the meager tweaks posting everywhere. This is a simple working
Shader mod for ATI that addresses one of the real problems why ATI cards
are underperforming in Doom 3.

Saw this and thought, yeah right, another tweak that does very little.
Big surprise though - this really made a VERY nice improvement overall.
Very nice smooth performance on high quality settings now with 9800pro
on P4 2.4 (400bus). Definitely improves frame rates, smoothness,
visuals, etc., with no sparkles or atifacting either. No more choppiness
when the big doors open on a new area with baddies leaping at you. Some
of the heaviest places and events in the game are now much, much
smoother. The actual frame rate increase is not large for me but
replaying heavy areas you'd think the frame rates had doubled! Amazingly
smooth. I've made a spare copy of the new pak000 on CD so I don't lose
it - it's now a must have.

A couple of tips - make a backup copy of the pak000 and store outside
the Base folder first. Also, before you start, go to My Computer, then
Tools, then Folder Options, then File Types, and create a new file type
called "VFP" and set it to open with NotePad (for example). Then use
WinRAR (if you don't have it you can do a Google search for it and DL
the freeware version - it's a puny DL), to follow the simple directions
for modifying this Shader. The directions in the article are simple and
completely accurate. Follow them and you're in business.

Get this in your Base folder. It's real.
August 9, 2004 11:14:34 AM

"ranger" <ranger@cyberback.com> wrote in message
> http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874
>
> Forget the meager tweaks posting everywhere. This is a simple working
> Shader mod for ATI that addresses one of the real problems why ATI cards
> are underperforming in Doom 3.

Tried it and it works very nicely. I gained 5fps in timedemo with this tweak
and
after giving D3 a 10 minute run I saw no anomalies. Thanks for the pointer
Ranger
and a big thanks to Humus.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 2:47:32 PM

> Tried it and it works very nicely. I gained 5fps in timedemo with
> this tweak and
> after giving D3 a 10 minute run I saw no anomalies. Thanks for the
> pointer Ranger
> and a big thanks to Humus.

Same here. 5fps additional in timedemo, but the increase in normal play seems to be greater - as
Humus says in his post, the timedemo makes a lot of use of the fireball and particle effects that
only occur occasionally ingame, so the real increase should be higher - it certanly feels that way
ingame.

August 9, 2004 5:51:54 PM

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message

> "ranger" <ranger@cyberback.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874
> >
> > Forget the meager tweaks posting everywhere. This is a simple working
> > Shader mod for ATI that addresses one of the real problems why ATI cards
> > are underperforming in Doom 3.
> >

> Tried it and it works very nicely. I gained 5fps in timedemo with this
tweak
> and after giving D3 a 10 minute run I saw no anomalies. Thanks for the
pointer
> Ranger and a big thanks to Humus.

After further play I can see this fix isnt perfect - in Alpha Labs 2 when
youre
escorting the Scientist in the dark - torchlight doesnt work properly.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 5:51:55 PM

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:51:54 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "ranger" <ranger@cyberback.com> wrote in message
>> > http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874
>> >
>> > Forget the meager tweaks posting everywhere. This is a simple working
>> > Shader mod for ATI that addresses one of the real problems why ATI cards
>> > are underperforming in Doom 3.
>> >

>> Tried it and it works very nicely. I gained 5fps in timedemo with this
>tweak
>> and after giving D3 a 10 minute run I saw no anomalies. Thanks for the
>pointer
>> Ranger and a big thanks to Humus.
>>
>After further play I can see this fix isnt perfect - in Alpha Labs 2 when
>youre
>escorting the Scientist in the dark - torchlight doesnt work properly.

To me a performance boost = in a reduce load of processing in the gpu so it is normale to experience
less quality in lightning effect or else.
August 9, 2004 8:41:41 PM

> >After further play I can see this fix isnt perfect - in Alpha Labs 2 when
> >youre escorting the Scientist in the dark - torchlight doesnt work
properly.

> To me a performance boost = in a reduce load of processing in the gpu so
it is normale to experience
> less quality in lightning effect or else.

In that section I found the torch didnt work AT ALL. Its pitch black because
the powers out
and the torch doesnt illuminate the ground right in front of you. I
eventually got past that section and the torch
works again but the problem may reoccur so think twice about hacking around
with your pak file.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 10:42:50 PM

"Sham B" <shamb@takemeouteasynet.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Tried it and it works very nicely. I gained 5fps in timedemo with
> > this tweak and
> > after giving D3 a 10 minute run I saw no anomalies. Thanks for the
> > pointer Ranger
> > and a big thanks to Humus.
>
> Same here. 5fps additional in timedemo, but the increase in normal play
seems to be greater - as
> Humus says in his post, the timedemo makes a lot of use of the fireball
and particle effects that
> only occur occasionally ingame, so the real increase should be higher - it
certanly feels that way
> ingame.

hmm.. doesnt seem to make a scrap of difference on my 9800pro..
followed the instructions exactly - 40fps before and after
then downloaded his latest version and tried that - 39.60
turned off v-sync makes absolutely no difference
at all, same framerates off or on..
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 10:42:51 PM

On 8/9/2004 3:42 AM Judas Pissed brightened our day with:

>"Sham B" <shamb@takemeouteasynet.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>>Tried it and it works very nicely. I gained 5fps in timedemo with
>>>this tweak and
>>>after giving D3 a 10 minute run I saw no anomalies. Thanks for the
>>>pointer Ranger
>>>and a big thanks to Humus.
>>>

>>Same here. 5fps additional in timedemo, but the increase in normal play
>>

>seems to be greater - as
>

>>Humus says in his post, the timedemo makes a lot of use of the fireball
>>

>and particle effects that
>

>>only occur occasionally ingame, so the real increase should be higher - it
>>

>certanly feels that way
>

>>ingame.
>>

>hmm.. doesnt seem to make a scrap of difference on my 9800pro..
>followed the instructions exactly - 40fps before and after
>then downloaded his latest version and tried that - 39.60
>turned off v-sync makes absolutely no difference
>at all, same framerates off or on..

Try running at 16x AF.
I don't know really how this works, but I got these results,
Before:
High 1024x768 8x AF CP = 46.5 fps
High 1024x768 16x AF CP= 33.2 fps

After:
With shader tweak no AA:
High 1024x768 8x AF CP = 46.5 fps
High 1024x768 16x AF CP = 46.4 fps

--
The Brain From Planet Arous (1958):
"Bad alien Gor takes over scientist Steve's brain; good alien Vol takes over Steve's dog's brain."

Steve [Inglo]
August 9, 2004 10:42:51 PM

"Judas Pissed" <d@d.com> wrote in message

> "Sham B" <shamb@takemeouteasynet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> > Tried it and it works very nicely. I gained 5fps in timedemo with
>> > this tweak and
>> > after giving D3 a 10 minute run I saw no anomalies. Thanks for the
>> > pointer Ranger
>> > and a big thanks to Humus.
>>
>> Same here. 5fps additional in timedemo, but the increase in normal play
> seems to be greater - as
>> Humus says in his post, the timedemo makes a lot of use of the fireball
> and particle effects that
>> only occur occasionally ingame, so the real increase should be higher -
>> it
> certanly feels that way
>> ingame.
>>

> hmm.. doesnt seem to make a scrap of difference on my 9800pro..
> followed the instructions exactly - 40fps before and after
> then downloaded his latest version and tried that - 39.60
> turned off v-sync makes absolutely no difference
> at all, same framerates off or on..

Me too. No big difference.
August 10, 2004 12:22:07 AM

ranger wrote:
> http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874
>
> Forget the meager tweaks posting everywhere. This is a simple working
> Shader mod for ATI that addresses one of the real problems why ATI cards
> are underperforming in Doom 3.

Wow that was a gigantic boost.
In timedemo1 I went from 31.9fps to 46.2 fps (8xAF).
A64 3500+
9800XT (omega 4.7)
1280x1024 ultra settings.

--
Erik
Anonymous

Erik <nowhere@i.hatespam> wrote in message news:<4117c127$0$182$edfadb0f@dtext02.news.tele.dk>...
> ranger wrote:
> > http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874
> >
> > Forget the meager tweaks posting everywhere. This is a simple working
> > Shader mod for ATI that addresses one of the real problems why ATI cards
> > are underperforming in Doom 3.
>
> Wow that was a gigantic boost.
> In timedemo1 I went from 31.9fps to 46.2 fps (8xAF).
> A64 3500+
> 9800XT (omega 4.7)
> 1280x1024 ultra settings.

How do I download that rar file? I click on it and it takes me to a
page with a bunch of garble! ANyone have a link or can send it to me?
If so please email it to mjey7@yahoo.com Thanks
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 12:40:27 AM

If you pay attention, the caracter told you some magnetic pule kills all
light, default or updated code, same happens. Well on my machine anyway.

> > >After further play I can see this fix isnt perfect - in Alpha Labs 2
when
> > >youre escorting the Scientist in the dark - torchlight doesnt work
> properly.
> > >

> > To me a performance boost = in a reduce load of processing in the gpu so
> it is normale to experience
> > less quality in lightning effect or else.
> >
> In that section I found the torch didnt work AT ALL. Its pitch black
because
> the powers out
> and the torch doesnt illuminate the ground right in front of you. I
> eventually got past that section and the torch
> works again but the problem may reoccur so think twice about hacking
around
> with your pak file.

August 10, 2004 12:40:28 AM

Give me a break - Im NOT talking about the lights that go out
when the power'[s cut - Im talking the friggin torch not working
properly in that section of the game after Ive dont the shader code hack.

"Runar" <runarhalvorsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you pay attention, the caracter told you some magnetic pule kills all
> light, default or updated code, same happens. Well on my machine anyway.
>
> "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> when
> > properly.
> > > >

> > > To me a performance boost = in a reduce load of processing in the gpu
so
> > it is normale to experience
> > > less quality in lightning effect or else.
> > >
> > In that section I found the torch didnt work AT ALL. Its pitch black
> because
> > the powers out
> > and the torch doesnt illuminate the ground right in front of you. I
> > eventually got past that section and the torch
> > works again but the problem may reoccur so think twice about hacking
> around
> > with your pak file.

August 10, 2004 1:42:22 AM

"JD" <forsaleatroadwormdotcom@readthefirstpart.com> wrote in message
news:o xPRc.62460$gE.35150@pd7tw3no...

>apparently the human brain can really only see up to around 30FPS anyway.

Rubbish - if you turn your monitors refresh rate down to 60hz (on a CRT)
you can see the flicker as the picture is redrawn 60 times a second proving
that your eye sees a lot more than 30 fps. The 30fps myth stems from the
fact
that films are run at around 24-30fps and appear smooth. They appear smooth
because the images are not static but include blurred images and that
'looks' okay
to your brain. I think it tricks the brain and the brain fills in the blanks
..
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:51:00 AM

Miles Noe <mjay25@msn.com> wrote in message
> Erik <nowhere@i.hatespam> wrote in message
> > ranger wrote:
> > > http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874
> > >
> > > Forget the meager tweaks posting everywhere. This is a simple working
> > > Shader mod for ATI that addresses one of the real problems why ATI
cards
> > > are underperforming in Doom 3.
> >
> > Wow that was a gigantic boost.
> > In timedemo1 I went from 31.9fps to 46.2 fps (8xAF).
> > A64 3500+
> > 9800XT (omega 4.7)
> > 1280x1024 ultra settings.

You should turn your settings down to "high"
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 7:13:38 AM

The change actually replaces a table lookup with a math function, so the GPU
workload is increased but texture access is reduced. The problem is that one
of the exponents used in the function is based on Humus' intuition, so the
end result is not completely equivalent. Someone with inner knowledge of the
game (i.e. an iD employee) can rewrite the shader with the correct exponent
and get equal, if not better image quality while maintaining the speed
boost... on a Radeon.

Remember, this change works to Radeon's advantage. It may do nothing or
reduce performance on the Geforce.

"Dreamaker" <onceuponatime@theEnd.com> wrote in message
> To me a performance boost = in a reduce load of processing in the gpu so
it is normale to experience
> less quality in lightning effect or else.

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 7:13:39 AM

I only got a .6 fps increase, but what the hell, at least I got a increase.
!