Sign in with
Your question
Solved

OEM For system builders

Last response: in Windows 7
October 24, 2009 7:44:38 PM

I went to my local computer store (frys electronics) today to buy a copy of windows 7 and I noticed that they had version called Windows 7 OEM for system builders. I'm not a system builder but have installed a few operating systems, ram, hard drives, pci cards etc.

Here is my question: The one that says oem for system builders is a lot cheaper than the other one. Whats the difference? Will I have problems with my computer if I buy the oem software?

More about : oem system builders

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 24, 2009 7:48:32 PM

That's essentially a meaningless term when it comes to selling those copies at B&M stores. Basically it means that that copy is an OEM license. These are exactly the same builds of Windows as the full retail versions, with 2 major differences.

1. OEM copies do not come with any support from Microsoft. If you need to call them for support (which is VERY rare anyway, business typically are the ones who do this) you have to pay per incident.

2. The license must stay with the first computer you install the OEM copy on. It cannot be transferred to another PC.
October 24, 2009 8:07:23 PM

The_Prophecy said:
That's essentially a meaningless term when it comes to selling those copies at B&M stores. Basically it means that that copy is an OEM license. These are exactly the same builds of Windows as the full retail versions, with 2 major differences.

1. OEM copies do not come with any support from Microsoft. If you need to call them for support (which is VERY rare anyway, business typically are the ones who do this) you have to pay per incident.

2. The license must stay with the first computer you install the OEM copy on. It cannot be transferred to another PC.

Aww man really? Well let me specify so that im sure... My computer is currently running windows vista 32bit Are you saying I will be ok buying the windows 7 64bit OEM version and installing it? If you are you just saved me like $100 because i was gonna buy the regular version but if im not gaining anything but customer support by purchasing the other version then I'm gonna go back to the store right now and buy it!
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2009 8:18:12 PM

Yes that is the only difference: no support from microsoft and not transferrable to another PC once You installed on one.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 24, 2009 8:21:03 PM

You won't be able to directly upgrade from a 32 bit Vista install to a 64 bit 7 install (XP 32 to Vista 64 didn't work either) due to the architecture difference. It's much safer to back up your data, wipe out the existing copy of Vista and install 7 from scratch anyway. Save yourself the $100 and get the OEM copy. The upgrade version would do a migration install anyway (which is in between an in-place upgrade from one version of Vista 32 or 64 bit, to the equivalent version of 7 32 or 64 bit, and a clean install), which have the potential for as many problems as an in-place upgrade.
m
l
October 24, 2009 9:14:27 PM

The_Prophecy said:
You won't be able to directly upgrade from a 32 bit Vista install to a 64 bit 7 install (XP 32 to Vista 64 didn't work either) due to the architecture difference. It's much safer to back up your data, wipe out the existing copy of Vista and install 7 from scratch anyway. Save yourself the $100 and get the OEM copy. The upgrade version would do a migration install anyway (which is in between an in-place upgrade from one version of Vista 32 or 64 bit, to the equivalent version of 7 32 or 64 bit, and a clean install), which have the potential for as many problems as an in-place upgrade.

ohh crap, now im confused? My plan was to
backup my data on my external usb drive (important documents, pics, vids, music)
then just re-boot and put the win 7 cd in.

Are you saying i need to backup then format then install? It wont ask me if i wanna format during the install?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2009 9:21:54 PM

He simply means it wont' work like a typical "upgrade".
You cannot upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. What happens is the install will save your old installation to folder, and then do a completely new install from scratch. You will have to reinstall all your programs.
Just be sure to back up everything somewhere before you start.

Also, about the OEM stuff, you realize that if you ever upgrade your motherboard your Windows install will de-activate, and cannot be reactivated. It is only good for the oringinal build you put it on. If you ever plan on doing any upgrades, it is better to buy the full version, or you will ending spending more money in the long run.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 24, 2009 10:31:46 PM

jitpublisher said:
Also, about the OEM stuff, you realize that if you ever upgrade your motherboard your Windows install will de-activate, and cannot be reactivated.

Actually that's not true. It can be re-activated, but you will break the license agreement by doing so. I did this with my OEM copy of Vista 6 or 7 times due to hardware upgrades.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2009 11:47:36 PM

normally you can call a phone number to re-activate, its a microsoft number, and they give you a code that you pass to the PC and it allows you to carry on. I've had no trouble yet, although the worst i've been is to reinstall 1OEM license maybe 3 times? and a couple of others once or twice each. That has worked on XP, I don't know abouit vista or '7.
m
l
!