Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 will not install

Last response: in Windows 8
November 9, 2012 5:47:53 AM

I have tried installing windows 8 but it keeps reverting back to windows 7. I have a mushkin SSD where I have Windows 7 and some program installed and an HDD for my other files and games. I don't know what to do and would like some help.

More about : windows install

a b $ Windows 7
a c 298 * Windows 8
November 9, 2012 6:33:18 AM

How much free space do you have on the SSD? W 8 requires at least 20 Gb. How have you chosen to upgrade, download, own Media? (disk or USB?)
November 9, 2012 6:40:50 AM

what problem u iencounter during win 8 installation
Related resources
November 9, 2012 6:43:18 AM

im betting that you bought the upgrade version and not the full oem version .. if your trying to upgrade from windows 7 then ignore this but if your actually trying to install a fresh version of windows 8 on a new build a lot of people have been tricked into buying the upgrade version instead of the full version.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 298 * Windows 8
November 9, 2012 8:13:11 AM

goodguy713 said:
im betting that you bought the upgrade version and not the full oem version .. if your trying to upgrade from windows 7 then ignore this but if your actually trying to install a fresh version of windows 8 on a new build a lot of people have been tricked into buying the upgrade version instead of the full version.

Guess when he says 'reverting back to Windows 7' means he's trying to upgrade...
November 9, 2012 10:51:33 AM

I bought the upgrade and have windows 7ultimate on my comp. Trying to get Windows 8 on but it just says it is readying files screw times and reverts. I have 25 th on my ssd.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 298 * Windows 8
November 9, 2012 11:00:27 AM

santaeid said:
I bought the upgrade and have windows 7ultimate on my comp. Trying to get Windows 8 on but it just says it is readying files screw times and reverts. I have 25 th on my ssd.

Did you buy the Upgrade disk, or the download version? It is possible to opt for creation of a disk from the download, then you would be able to perform a clean install on your SSD, ie format first.
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2012 11:05:03 AM

Not to be funny, but is it being blocked by an anti-virus program?
November 9, 2012 11:15:34 AM

I don't have any anti-virus programs. I removed every program it said was not compatible and the lady from Microsoft ran a bunch of tests to make sure there were o remnants of anything uncompatible and there was none.

I rather not do a clean install unless it is for the best really. I would have to download and reinstall a bunch of software.
November 9, 2012 11:28:34 AM

I had the same problem in my case I had a program called Rapport installed on my system after I removed this it upgraded fine!
November 9, 2012 12:21:44 PM

Anyone know of any backup utilities that can save programs installed? I have a fair amount of programs taht would be a pain in the butt to reinstall again. I really don't get why its not working. I am thinking that it maybe because of the OS being on the SSD and the files and some programs (like games) being on the HDD.

I don't have any remnants of anti virus programs (never had any except for the microsoft built in one). Curse you Microsoft! WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME!
November 9, 2012 3:54:48 PM

make sure you have at least the same amount of free space on your drive as is being used by the user files and windows files + an additional 20 GB. The upgrade will make a copy of all your files (documents, pictures, videos) and the windows directory. If you don't have that amount of free space try moving them to another drive and then upgrade.
November 9, 2012 4:41:03 PM

santaeid said:
Anyone know of any backup utilities that can save programs installed? I have a fair amount of programs taht would be a pain in the butt to reinstall again. I really don't get why its not working. I am thinking that it maybe because of the OS being on the SSD and the files and some programs (like games) being on the HDD.

I don't have any remnants of anti virus programs (never had any except for the microsoft built in one). Curse you Microsoft! WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME!

I have a similar setup to you, intel 80GB SSD drive with a lot of applications stored on SSD so I don't think that is the issue. As I mentioned before it was security software in the form of Rapport that blocked me from a successful install so I suspect it has to be something along those lines in your case.

Have you checked what applications autostart using msconfig?
November 10, 2012 2:08:43 AM

I ended up just doing a clean install. The best part is I wasted a couple of hours backing everything up when in the end it did not even touch my old HDD lol. For some reason I hoard programs so hopefully it wont take too long to reinstall the programs.
!