Blocking access to secondary hard drive.

I have two hadr drives on my system and use the second (D) drive as my
backup. How do I block other users from accessing this drive and corrupting
my backup files?

Malke

Krymson wrote:

> I have two hadr drives on my system and use the second (D) drive as my
> backup. How do I block other users from accessing this drive and
> corrupting my backup files?

What version of XP, Home or Pro? If Pro, create a new user group and
then make the partition on your D: drive read/writable only by members
of the new group. Put only yourself in there. Of course, other users
can't be administrators on the system or they can add themselves, too.

If you have Home, then you might consider zipping the files with
something like Winzip and password-protecting the folder(s).

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Thanks for your input. This is an older machine and is running Win98. I will
see if there is a way to change permissions and try your suggestion. if you
know of a sure way to do this in 98, let me know.

Krymson

"Malke" wrote:

> Krymson wrote:
>
> > I have two hadr drives on my system and use the second (D) drive as my
> > backup. How do I block other users from accessing this drive and
> > corrupting my backup files?
>
> What version of XP, Home or Pro? If Pro, create a new user group and
> then make the partition on your D: drive read/writable only by members
> of the new group. Put only yourself in there. Of course, other users
> can't be administrators on the system or they can add themselves, too.
>
> If you have Home, then you might consider zipping the files with
> something like Winzip and password-protecting the folder(s).
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

Krymson wrote:

> Thanks for your input. This is an older machine and is running Win98.
> I will see if there is a way to change permissions and try your
> suggestion. if you know of a sure way to do this in 98, let me know.

Windows 98 doesn't have any permissions. Use something like Winzip or
look around for other third-party security software that might run on
Win98. I'm sorry but I don't have any recommendations for that.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers