9800 Pro Probs

Hi all,

Recently upgraded my sytem ahead of D3 and HL2 from a 1.3Ghz, Radeon 7500
64meg, 256Meg, Win2K SP3 to the following :-

Athalon XP300+ (400W PSU)
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg (256 bit)
512Meg RAM
Win2K SP3
DirectX 9(c)

Now however i seem to be getting worse performance (on games) from my new
system.

Call of Duty frequently crashes with VPU Recover messages.
Counterstrike Plays but is jerky at only 1280x1076 res.

Both of these ran fine before on my old system.

I need some help here folks, i must have stuffed something up.

Cheers,

Andy.
21 answers Last reply
More about 9800 probs

    "Andy M" wrote
    > Athalon XP300+ (400W PSU)
    > Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg (256 bit)
    > 512Meg RAM
    > Win2K SP3
    > DirectX 9(c)

    Hi,

    Motherboard? (Chipset Drivers?)
    Graphic Drivers? (Cat 3.7, 4.5, what?)

    --
    Wayne ][

    "Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Andy M" wrote
    > > Athalon XP300+ (400W PSU)
    > > Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg (256 bit)
    > > 512Meg RAM
    > > Win2K SP3
    > > DirectX 9(c)
    >

    > Hi,
    >
    > Motherboard? (Chipset Drivers?)
    > Graphic Drivers? (Cat 3.7, 4.5, what?)
    >
    > --
    > Wayne ][

    Motherboard is ECS KT600-A
    VIA KT600 Northbridge & VT8237 Southbridge Chipsets

    Graphic Drivers are :-

    Catalyst version 03.8
    2D version 6.14.10.6387

    Andy.

    Don't forget to install the latest drivers for your motherboard chipset.
    These drivers run your AGP subsystem and memory controller and you really
    need them to get the maximum from your system.

    JK

    Andy M wrote:

    > Graphic Drivers are :-
    >
    > Catalyst version 03.8

    The most recent drivers are 4.7, with 4.8 to be released within (probably)
    the next few weeks...

    =- Brian Dickens

    "Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote
    in message news:U%4Sc.835$Ue.198@text.usenetserver.com...
    > Andy M wrote:
    >
    > > Graphic Drivers are :-
    > >
    > > Catalyst version 03.8
    >
    > The most recent drivers are 4.7, with 4.8 to be released within (probably)
    > the next few weeks...
    >
    > =- Brian Dickens

    Would using 03.8 really cause the big performance issues i am seeing though
    ?

    Will try upgrading anyway.

    Thanks,

    Andy.

    > "Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote
    > in message news:U%4Sc.835$Ue.198@text.usenetserver.com...
    > > Andy M wrote:
    > >
    > > > Graphic Drivers are :-
    > > >
    > > > Catalyst version 03.8
    > >
    > > The most recent drivers are 4.7, with 4.8 to be released within
    (probably)
    > > the next few weeks...
    > >
    > > =- Brian Dickens
    > >

    > Would using 03.8 really cause the big performance issues i am seeing
    though
    > ?
    >
    > Will try upgrading anyway.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andy.

    Upgraded to 04.7 with no noticeable difference - still not performing well.

    Anyone got any ideas ?

    Regards,

    Andy.

    have you tryed the standard stuff like check bios settings you may have
    missed something.
    did you over look mother board drivers? do you have any pci cards in the
    first slot below the agp?
    also try moveing around any pci cards you have.
    hard drive with os installed.
    go in to bios and disable any built in stuff like network sound raid every
    thing that you dont need to boot up.
    install a bench mark like 3dmark 03 for testing. as for your games get a no
    cd hack and test them with the striped down sys.
    if it preforms and no problems start putting things back in one at a time
    and test each time.
    one other thing to try is lower the agp from 8 to 4 to 2 testing each time.

    i dont think its a driver problem for your video card.

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    Andy M wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Recently upgraded my sytem ahead of D3 and HL2 from a 1.3Ghz, Radeon
    > 7500 64meg, 256Meg, Win2K SP3 to the following :-
    >
    > Athalon XP300+ (400W PSU)
    > Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg (256 bit)
    > 512Meg RAM
    > Win2K SP3
    > DirectX 9(c)
    >
    > Now however i seem to be getting worse performance (on games) from my
    > new system.
    >
    > Call of Duty frequently crashes with VPU Recover messages.
    > Counterstrike Plays but is jerky at only 1280x1076 res.
    >
    > Both of these ran fine before on my old system.
    >
    > I need some help here folks, i must have stuffed something up.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Andy.

    Have a read through this guide might help somehow
    http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

    Try searching the specific games forums for help the answer to both is
    probably being caused by 1 thing.

    Also search mobo ng/forums for similar probs there'll be loads of people
    with that cpu/mobo/gfx combo and chances are they had probs to considering
    how popular the games are you are having trouble with.

    "Andy M" <fred@barney.com> wrote in message

    > "Andy M" <fred@barney.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl>
    wrote
    > > in message news:U%4Sc.835$Ue.198@text.usenetserver.com...

    > > > The most recent drivers are 4.7, with 4.8 to be released within
    > (probably)
    > > > the next few weeks...
    > > >
    > > > =- Brian Dickens
    > > >

    > > Would using 03.8 really cause the big performance issues i am seeing
    > though
    > > ?
    > >
    > > Will try upgrading anyway.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Andy.
    > >

    > Upgraded to 04.7 with no noticeable difference - still not performing
    well.

    > Anyone got any ideas ?

    I would hazard a guess at, or at least I would attempt to....

    1. Update your VIA drivers - www.viaarena.com
    2. Uninstall Graphic drivers, re-install
    3. Sound Card drivers, uninstall, re-install

    Basically matey, it sounds like you have taken out and put back in utilising
    your existing Hard Drive and its subsequent set of system drivers for
    windows.

    Generally, after messing about for an hour, I would just re-install windows
    and go from scratch with a new setup.
    Don't forget, that even though all of your exisitng programe files/settings
    will be lost, it doesn't take long to get a new system flying.
    ..
    Oh, and if you don't have the *cough* Devils Own *cough* Win XP disk, you
    can upgrade your system drivers via Help & Support from your Start button.

    HTH

    Kirby

    Kirby wrote:

    > Generally, after messing about for an hour, I would just re-install
    > windows and go from scratch with a new setup.
    > Don't forget, that even though all of your exisitng programe
    > files/settings will be lost, it doesn't take long to get a new system
    > flying. .

    I have to agree with this advice .. if you have just picked up your old
    hard disk and placed on a completely new system you are just asking for
    a lot of probs .. and you have them.

    Fresh install of XP is the best bet for stability and a return to good
    gaming for you.

    Oh and disable VPU recovery waste of space in my view gives some
    strange errors in games .. disabled = no errors encountered.

    regards

    @ndrew

    "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
    > Kirby wrote:
    >
    > > Generally, after messing about for an hour, I would just re-install
    > > windows and go from scratch with a new setup.
    > > Don't forget, that even though all of your exisitng programe
    > > files/settings will be lost, it doesn't take long to get a new system
    > > flying. .
    >

    > I have to agree with this advice .. if you have just picked up your old
    > hard disk and placed on a completely new system you are just asking for
    > a lot of probs .. and you have them.
    >
    > Fresh install of XP is the best bet for stability and a return to good
    > gaming for you.
    >
    > Oh and disable VPU recovery waste of space in my view gives some
    > strange errors in games .. disabled = no errors encountered.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > @ndrew

    I did build the system on a brand new HD - so i dont think reinstalling 2K
    (dont trust XP just yet) will prove effective.
    I will try disabling VPU recover though and see if that makes a diff.
    Thanks for the suggestion guys.

    Regards,

    Andy.

    > "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
    > > Kirby wrote:
    > >
    > > > Generally, after messing about for an hour, I would just re-install
    > > > windows and go from scratch with a new setup.
    > > > Don't forget, that even though all of your exisitng programe
    > > > files/settings will be lost, it doesn't take long to get a new system
    > > > flying. .
    > >

    > > I have to agree with this advice .. if you have just picked up your old
    > > hard disk and placed on a completely new system you are just asking for
    > > a lot of probs .. and you have them.
    > >
    > > Fresh install of XP is the best bet for stability and a return to good
    > > gaming for you.
    > >
    > > Oh and disable VPU recovery waste of space in my view gives some
    > > strange errors in games .. disabled = no errors encountered.
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > @ndrew
    > >

    > I did build the system on a brand new HD - so i dont think reinstalling 2K
    > (dont trust XP just yet) will prove effective.
    > I will try disabling VPU recover though and see if that makes a diff.
    > Thanks for the suggestion guys.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andy.

    Disabling VPU Recover had no effect :(

    Regards,

    Andy.

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:10:56 +0100, "Andy M" <fred@barney.com> wrote:

    >Upgraded to 04.7 with no noticeable difference - still not performing well.
    >
    >Anyone got any ideas ?
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Andy.

    Try turning off "fast writes" and maybe dropping your "AGP X"?
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Andy M wrote:

    > Disabling VPU Recover had no effect :(
    >
    > Regards,

    Hmm don't trust XP yet .. been out for a while and I perfere it changed
    both my W2K boxes to xp .. no complaints.

    Do your bios settings accord with these?

    http://tinyurl.com/4dq4p

    I also assume you are not overclocking the card.

    regards

    @ndrew
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Have you ever thought maybe your 9800 pro is bad?

    DaveL

    > Andy M wrote:
    >

    > > Disabling VPU Recover had no effect :(
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >

    > Hmm don't trust XP yet .. been out for a while and I perfere it changed
    > both my W2K boxes to xp .. no complaints.
    >
    > Do your bios settings accord with these?
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/4dq4p
    >

    > I also assume you are not overclocking the card.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > @ndrew

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Thanks for all the helpfull tips and advice folks.

    Nothing seemd to work to clear up the issues but i did discover after
    downloading ATI tool that the card i had only had a 128bit memory interface
    rather than a 256 bit one as advertised.

    Not sure if this could have caused the problems i was experiencing but i
    thought if its the wrong card then maybe it was a refurb or something so ive
    sent it back and am awaiting a new card.

    Ill post if the replacement card shows any better results but it might be a
    good few days before it arrives !

    Thanks again for the helpfull advice folks.

    Regards,

    Andy.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:25:53 +0100, "Andy M" <fred@barney.com> wrote:

    what would this tool be ? And where can you get it ?

    >Thanks for all the helpfull tips and advice folks.
    >
    >Nothing seemd to work to clear up the issues but i did discover after
    >downloading ATI tool that the card i had only had a 128bit memory interface
    >rather than a 256 bit one as advertised.
    >
    >Not sure if this could have caused the problems i was experiencing but i
    >thought if its the wrong card then maybe it was a refurb or something so ive
    >sent it back and am awaiting a new card.
    >
    >Ill post if the replacement card shows any better results but it might be a
    >good few days before it arrives !
    >
    >Thanks again for the helpfull advice folks.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Andy.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Have you ever thought maybe your 9800 pro is bad?
    >
    > DaveL
    >

    > "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
    > > Andy M wrote:
    > >

    > > > Disabling VPU Recover had no effect :(
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > >

    > > Hmm don't trust XP yet .. been out for a while and I perfere it changed
    > > both my W2K boxes to xp .. no complaints.
    > >
    > > Do your bios settings accord with these?
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/4dq4p
    > >

    > > I also assume you are not overclocking the card.
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > @ndrew

    Hmm don't trust XP yet .. XP is really the dogs furry ones compares to other
    domestic OS. Have had my on board for just over a year with no probs. Time
    to make the jump.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Forget it this guy has no clue
    the m/b is his first problem
    second ,he doesn't know how to set it up

    "An Unexploded Scotsman" <plaid@kaboom.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:10:56 +0100, "Andy M" <fred@barney.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Upgraded to 04.7 with no noticeable difference - still not performing
    >>well.
    >>
    >>Anyone got any ideas ?
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Andy.
    >
    > Try turning off "fast writes" and maybe dropping your "AGP X"?

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:25:53 +0100, "Andy M" <fred@barney.com> wrote:
    >
    > what would this tool be ? And where can you get it ?

    The tool is called 'ATITool' and is available at http://atitool.ocfaq.com/

    Regards,

    Andy.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Paul Rossi" <bigcid10@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Forget it this guy has no clue
    > the m/b is his first problem
    > second ,he doesn't know how to set it up

    Im the first to accept that im probably not as clued up on this stuff as the
    regular members of this group, thats why i came here for advice !
    What makes you think the motherboard is the problem ? I have adjusted the
    motherboard BIOS settings to the ones reccommended by the links a couple of
    people posted as pointers ... i didnt make a diff.
    If you have any extra insights id be glad to hear them.

    As ive said further down the thread ive actually send the card back as it
    had only a 128 bit memory interface as opposed to the 256 bit one that was
    advertised.

    Im hoping that was causing the problem, ill see when the new card arrives in
    a few days.

    Regards,

    Andy.

Radeon Graphics