mbsacli.exe does not show installed patch

polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

Hi:

I'm running XP with SP2. And I have installed the loopback patch. It is
shown under
HLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB884020.

But when confirm this installation using the mbsacli.exe, it does not show
this installed patch. I run the mbsacli with options like this:

mbsacli -hf -nosum -s 2 -history 1 -nvc

I changed history param from 1,2,3 and it did not make difference.

Could you you see anything I did wrong? Any "pointers" appreciated. Thanks
in Advance!

Polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

IIRC that patch was released as a recommended update, not
as a critical update, and it certainly was not a security patch.
So, mbsacli would not cover it.
As always, you can open the most recent mssecure.xml, found
in the MBSA installation directory, and search on the KB number
to see if the patch is covered.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I'm running XP with SP2. And I have installed the loopback patch. It is
> shown under
> HLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB884020.
>
> But when confirm this installation using the mbsacli.exe, it does not show
> this installed patch. I run the mbsacli with options like this:
>
> mbsacli -hf -nosum -s 2 -history 1 -nvc
>
> I changed history param from 1,2,3 and it did not make difference.
>
> Could you you see anything I did wrong? Any "pointers" appreciated. Thanks
> in Advance!
>
> Polaris

polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

Thanks!

I now read the hotfix and updates from client's registry. I think it is more
reliable.

Polaris

> IIRC that patch was released as a recommended update, not
> as a critical update, and it certainly was not a security patch.
> So, mbsacli would not cover it.
> As always, you can open the most recent mssecure.xml, found
> in the MBSA installation directory, and search on the KB number
> to see if the patch is covered.
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I'm running XP with SP2. And I have installed the loopback patch. It is
>> shown under
>> HLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB884020.
>>
>> But when confirm this installation using the mbsacli.exe, it does not
>> show
>> this installed patch. I run the mbsacli with options like this:
>>
>> mbsacli -hf -nosum -s 2 -history 1 -nvc
>>
>> I changed history param from 1,2,3 and it did not make difference.
>>
>> Could you you see anything I did wrong? Any "pointers" appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> in Advance!
>>
>> Polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

Actually mbsacli is more reliable, if it covers the patches that
are of interest, since mbsacli uses more than just registry entries.