Top 3 Dissapointments in 2004

Last response: in Video Games
January 11, 2005 12:44:23 AM

Not to take away anything from Strider's original thread but I thought this
needed its own...

How about the top 3 games you bought and after playing you asked yourself
WHY?

3. Tom Clancy Splinter Cell 2 - Retail - Too easy and waste of $
2. Deus Ex: Invisible War (ok so this came out in 2003 but I bought it off
of ebay in 04)
1. Championship Snowboarding 2004 - Bargain Bin from Best Buy

GBS
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:44:24 AM

"GBS" <GBS@mymail.com> wrote in message
> Not to take away anything from Strider's original thread but I thought
this
> needed its own...
>
> How about the top 3 games you bought and after playing you asked yourself
> WHY?
>
> 3. Tom Clancy Splinter Cell 2 - Retail - Too easy and waste of $
> 2. Deus Ex: Invisible War (ok so this came out in 2003 but I bought it off
> of ebay in 04)
> 1. Championship Snowboarding 2004 - Bargain Bin from Best Buy
>
> GBS

Top disappointments of 2004:

1. Deus Ex: Invisible War
2. Tomb Raider AOD
3. Doom 3

Bob
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:44:24 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:44:23 GMT, "GBS" <GBS@mymail.com> wrote:

>Not to take away anything from Strider's original thread but I thought this
>needed its own...
>
>How about the top 3 games you bought and after playing you asked yourself
>WHY?
>
>3. Tom Clancy Splinter Cell 2 - Retail - Too easy and waste of $
>2. Deus Ex: Invisible War (ok so this came out in 2003 but I bought it off
>of ebay in 04)
>1. Championship Snowboarding 2004 - Bargain Bin from Best Buy
>
>GBS

1. Doom3 - I so wanted to like it but it was just too boring. And
dark. :-(
2. Fable (Xbox) - Decent game but not anything like it was hyped up to
be.
3. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Gamewise, this one is great.
The HL2 engine was a huge disappointment. Hoping a sequel will be
better.

Erik
January 11, 2005 12:52:47 AM

GBS wrote:
> Not to take away anything from Strider's original thread but I
> thought this needed its own...
>
> How about the top 3 games you bought and after playing you asked
> yourself WHY?
>
> 3. Tom Clancy Splinter Cell 2 - Retail - Too easy and waste of $
> 2. Deus Ex: Invisible War (ok so this came out in 2003 but I bought
> it off of ebay in 04)
> 1. Championship Snowboarding 2004 - Bargain Bin from Best Buy

I have only bought one game and one add-on that were released in 2004, so, er...

2. Half-Life 2
1. IL-2 Forgotten Battles Ace Expansion Pack

Hope you found that helpful.

--
Paul

;)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:52:48 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:52:47 -0000, "Paul Catley"
<paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have only bought one game and one add-on that were released in 2004, so, er...
>
>2. Half-Life 2
>1. IL-2 Forgotten Battles Ace Expansion Pack
>
>Hope you found that helpful.

LOL!
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:03:31 AM

1: Doom3
2: Thief 3
3: Doom3
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:43:56 AM

"GBS" <GBS@mymail.com> wrote in message
> Not to take away anything from Strider's original thread but I
> thought this needed its own...
>
> How about the top 3 games you bought and after playing you asked
> yourself WHY?
>
> 3. Tom Clancy Splinter Cell 2 - Retail - Too easy and waste of $
> 2. Deus Ex: Invisible War (ok so this came out in 2003 but I bought
> it off of ebay in 04)
> 1. Championship Snowboarding 2004 - Bargain Bin from Best Buy
>
> GBS

Terminator: War of the Machines :(
Tombraider: Angel of Darkness
Uru, Ages Beyond Myst.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:08:12 AM

1. Far Cry. Fantastic looking game but very poor feel to the weapon controls
and the difficulty balance is not done well.

2. Pacific Assault. The patch improved it but it's still a long way behind
CoD in the WW2 shooter stakes.

3. HL2. Ok, before you lynch me, I'd still say it was the game of the year
(certainly for shooters) but I was disappointed in many ways with it, partly
because of the hype, partly because of faults in the game.
January 11, 2005 5:35:40 AM

how high were your expectations i fyou bought in a bargain bin?

thats like complaining about a $5 whore

"GBS" <GBS@mymail.com> wrote in message
> Not to take away anything from Strider's original thread but I thought
> this
> needed its own...
>
> How about the top 3 games you bought and after playing you asked yourself
> WHY?
>
> 3. Tom Clancy Splinter Cell 2 - Retail - Too easy and waste of $
> 2. Deus Ex: Invisible War (ok so this came out in 2003 but I bought it off
> of ebay in 04)
> 1. Championship Snowboarding 2004 - Bargain Bin from Best Buy
>
> GBS

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:14:01 PM

In article <XGCEd.3498$C52.2877@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, GBS
<GBS@mymail.com> wrote:

> Not to take away anything from Strider's original thread but I thought this
> needed its own...
>
> How about the top 3 games you bought and after playing you asked yourself
> WHY?
>
> 3. Tom Clancy Splinter Cell 2 - Retail - Too easy and waste of $
> 2. Deus Ex: Invisible War (ok so this came out in 2003 but I bought it off
> of ebay in 04)
> 1. Championship Snowboarding 2004 - Bargain Bin from Best Buy

I quite liked SC2, although it wasn't as challenging as I thought it
would be. Great atmosphere, visuals, voice acting, though...

.... can't say I was disappointed in Doom 3 either, since I knew
exactly what I was getting...

.... and I can't believe anyone'd put Thief 3 in there - fantastic
atmosphere, challenging gameplay and one of the scariest levels ever...

....so... errrm.. none this year. Sorry. :)

Now, if you were talking about the *previous* year, we could have had
Unreal 2, KOTOR and had a whale of a time...

___
Neil
AKA HighVis
January 11, 2005 1:45:59 PM

"Mother Farquhar" <fake@ddress.com> wrote in message
> 1: Doom3
> 2: Thief 3
> 3: Doom3

how in the hell can anyone call Thief 3 disappointing ?
after the fiasco of Deus Ex 2 my expectations for T3
plummeted but it turned out to be a great game.
Doom 3 I agree with fully.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:08:18 PM

hl2
tr:aod
hl2
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:03:04 PM

"Sleepy" <nospamthanksbpespley@blueyonder.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Mother Farquhar" <fake@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > 1: Doom3
> > 2: Thief 3
> > 3: Doom3
> >
> how in the hell can anyone call Thief 3 disappointing ?
> after the fiasco of Deus Ex 2 my expectations for T3
> plummeted but it turned out to be a great game.
> Doom 3 I agree with fully.

i`d even say thief3 was one of the BEST games 2004!

Jan
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:34:07 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:14:01 +0000, Neil Jones
<neil@designumbrella.com> wrote:

>Now, if you were talking about the *previous* year, we could have had
>Unreal 2, KOTOR and had a whale of a time...
>
>___
>Neil
>AKA HighVis

You didn't like KOTOR? I just finished the sequel and found both
rather enjoyable.

Erik
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:08:22 AM

"Neil Jones" <neil@designumbrella.com> wrote in message

> Now, if you were talking about the *previous* year, we could have had
> Unreal 2, KOTOR and had a whale of a time...

Engaged in lively debate over KOTOR? Pity we're doing 2004 then ;)

--
Paul
Anonymous

"Jan Gruetz" <jgfornews@epost.de> wrote in message
> hl2
> tr:aod
> hl2

Hi Jan, good seeing ya over here :)  How's a.g.t. these days?
McG.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:19:29 AM

"rob" <1@1.com> wrote in message
> how high were your expectations i fyou bought in a bargain bin?
>
> thats like complaining about a $5 whore

I think it was a $6 whore. Much classier than the $5
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 3:34:58 AM

GeoTheCat wrote:
> You didn't like KOTOR? I just finished the sequel and found both
> rather enjoyable.

I really need to reinstall that when I get the hdd space as it was good
fun and I never got round to finishing it due to cursework etc.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:17:13 PM

In article <l0e8u0toin1h9ej93k925oa6s57hk7t9r0@4ax.com>, GeoTheCat
wrote:

> You didn't like KOTOR? I just finished the sequel and found both
> rather enjoyable.

Each to their own, I guess. I found the upgrading and equipping of
weapons to be interminable, with tiny differences between seemingly
hundreds of different weapons. I disliked the whole 'squad freeze' type
gameplay style, where the first person into a room got targeted, and
you had to wait until the others could see the attacker before they'd
recognise a threat.

I thought the 'racing' game was ludicrous, and the combat system and
effects clunky at best... and I felt the whole game's underlying
'decision tree' spreadsheet structure was way too visible.

I got nowhere near finishing it, so I'm prepared to believe it
improved.. but not enough to go back and retry it!

___
Neil
AKA HighVis
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 3:04:47 AM

> > You didn't like KOTOR? I just finished the sequel and found both
> > rather enjoyable.
>
> Each to their own, I guess. I found the upgrading and equipping of
> weapons to be interminable, with tiny differences between seemingly
> hundreds of different weapons. I disliked the whole 'squad freeze' type
> gameplay style, where the first person into a room got targeted, and
> you had to wait until the others could see the attacker before they'd
> recognise a threat.
>
> I thought the 'racing' game was ludicrous, and the combat system and
> effects clunky at best...

I think if you place the emphasis on the combat in KOTOR, you'll find it
disappointing. That aspect is pretty lacklustre, and doesn't get much better,
to be honest (more lightsabres, some uninspiring force effects, that's it).
It's a shame the combat controls and options have had to be simplified to meet
the requirements of the console market. Those big icons hanging over every
enemy's head destroy the immersion. (You can disable the "freeze"). The racing
game gets much harder, but it's still pretty rubbish.

For me the game is all about dialogue, character and story development. The
voice acting is superb throughout, and there's so much of it. Plus there's
HK-47, who you never got to meet but he knocks DOG into a cocked hat as Game
Character of the Year (if it was for 2003). Plus there's a massive plot twist
that I can't tell you about ;)  (maybe more than one, I don't know yet...)

> and I felt the whole game's underlying
> 'decision tree' spreadsheet structure was way too visible.

Aren't all RPGs like that? You have dialogue choices, and other choices are
offered as a result of your selection. I think KOTOR is much better than NWN in
that respect, since the right answer isn't always obvious, and none of the
answers are really wrong, they just progress the plot in a different direction
(it probably converges a short time later, but you never know for sure...).
It's a pity Bioware couldn't use the NWN combat system in KOTOR, but
unfortunately consoles don't have mice :-/

--
Paul
Anonymous

1. HL2 - was crummy and can't even sell it
2. NFSU 2 - too much GTA
3. FarCry - mostly backwards compatibility problems, no idea about most of
the game.

"GBS" <GBS@mymail.com> wrote in message
> Not to take away anything from Strider's original thread but I thought
> this
> needed its own...
>
> How about the top 3 games you bought and after playing you asked yourself
> WHY?
>
> 3. Tom Clancy Splinter Cell 2 - Retail - Too easy and waste of $
> 2. Deus Ex: Invisible War (ok so this came out in 2003 but I bought it off
> of ebay in 04)
> 1. Championship Snowboarding 2004 - Bargain Bin from Best Buy
>
> GBS

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 6:01:46 PM

David Leon wrote:
> 1. HL2 - was crummy and can't even sell it
> 2. NFSU 2 - too much GTA
> 3. FarCry - mostly backwards compatibility problems, no idea about most of
> the game.

LOL. You just picked my top 3 games of 2004 that I was going to list.
Any other games that you hated? I'll have to try them out. :-)

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
> David Leon wrote:
>
>> 1. HL2 - was crummy and can't even sell it
>> 2. NFSU 2 - too much GTA
>> 3. FarCry - mostly backwards compatibility problems, no idea about
>> most of the game.
>

> LOL. You just picked my top 3 games of 2004 that I was going to list.
> Any other games that you hated? I'll have to try them out. :-)

LOL. Hope he hated Riddick too so you can try (and enjoy) that one.

--
"valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably true)"

Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
!