Install Problem

tcfraz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Ok but when i get to step 8 it dosent let me click to format the hard drive is there another way i could do it thorough the bios or something?

1.Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

2.Restart your computer.

3.Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

4.On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

5.On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

6.On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

7.On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

8.Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

9.When you've finished formatting, click Next.

10.Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

If you are willing to 'wipe' the ubuntu installation and format the current hard drive losing all data...try booting to the windows 7 installation DVD. Or as I said earlier, install a second hard drive to install Windows 7 on.

1. Go into BIOS and set the first boot device to 'CD/DVD' insert the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD tray and save and exit.

2. When prompted to boot to the installation DVD, 'press any key'.

3. The option to format the hard drive will be available. Formatting the current drive will wipe out completely the ubuntu installation. Windows 7 will format the hard drive and install Windows 7 on the new formatted partition. Remember to install the system/MB windows 7 drivers to the new Windows 7 installation.

The current hard drive needs a partition to be formatted before windows 7 can be installed. But the ubuntu OS is installed on the entire HD partition available. In order to install Windows 7 on the current hard drive, the hard drive (or a partition of it) needs to be formatted by the Windows 7 disk. So, you have three choices.

1. Install a second new hard drive, format and install windows 7 on it.

2. Use a software like partition magic for example and create a 'new' partition on the current hard drive and install windows 7 there next to ubuntu.

3. Wipe the current drive losing the ubuntu installation and all data, format that drive with windows 7 and install windows 7 there in place of ubuntu which will have been 'wiped' and no longer accessible.

tcfraz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
3. Wipe the current drive losing the ubuntu installation and all data, format that drive with windows 7 and install windows 7 there in place of ubuntu which will have been 'wiped' and no longer accessible.

What would be the easiest way to do this

tcfraz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Thanks...The hd i was using orgionally using was a samsung, but i put my old laptop western digital hd in my new pc and it installed fine... but its only 80gb and the system cant find the 1tb samsung drive. Do you know how i could find it.

tcfraz

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Ok i can find it now i just wont let me name it or save anything to it... once i can use it is there a way i can complety clean everything off of it including ubuntu so i could install win7 on that and put my laptop hd back in my laptop.