Software Restriction Policy major screw up

Status
Not open for further replies.

After many problems with my wife and her family crashing my computer through
her account I had enough. I was attempting to restrict software on that
account but apparently I restricted all users including Administrator. The
only way I can get to the desktop is to use Recovery Console otherwise when
you attempt to log on Windows it immediately logs you back off. Even with
being able to get back to Administrative Tools I cannot open any program.
Every program displays the error message "Windows cannot open this program
because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more
information, open Event Viewer or contact your System Administrator" I can't
believe that I did something so stupid. Any ideas on how to remedy this
problem?
Don't make group policy changes when angry.

Are you familiar with editing the Registry directly?
If so, try to edit the registry with REGEDIT from another computer on the
network.
If that does not work, try the Resource Kit tool REG.EXE from within the
Recovery Console. I have not tried that, and many of the DOS tools normally
available are not available in Recovery Console Mode.

"Redeemed" wrote:

> After many problems with my wife and her family crashing my computer through
> her account I had enough. I was attempting to restrict software on that
> account but apparently I restricted all users including Administrator. The
> only way I can get to the desktop is to use Recovery Console otherwise when
> you attempt to log on Windows it immediately logs you back off. Even with
> being able to get back to Administrative Tools I cannot open any program.
> Every program displays the error message "Windows cannot open this program
> because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more
> information, open Event Viewer or contact your System Administrator" I can't
> believe that I did something so stupid. Any ideas on how to remedy this
> problem?
> Don't make group policy changes when angry.

This computer is not in a network or this would not be a problem but I have
tried to run REGEDIT from the local computer but the policy still takes
effect and does not allow any *.exe to be launched. I will try to see if I
can get to a DOS prompt and work from there. Thank you.
Any other ideas?