Safe to change mystery 'Current Owner' after decryption?

February 24, 2005 7:23:03 PM

Before formatting my hard drive, thank god I remembered to backup and decrypt
my one and only folder and sub-folders containing EFS-encrypted files.

When I copied these formerly encrypted, but now decrypted files back to the
newly formatted hard drive, I noticed that the "Current Owner" is now a
mystery number: S-1-5-21-(9 digits)-(9 digits)- (10 digits)-1003.

Who, or what is this new current owner?

Is it safe to claim ownership of these files in my own name, from the top
folder only, or could some residual EFS function turn my previously decrypted
files to gibberish later, when I least expect it?

Thanks,

PAGA
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:05:02 AM

Can you access the folder? Can you see the files in the folder?

If so, just create a new folder and move the files into it.

By the way, I think you mean NTFS, not EFS.

"PAGA" <PAGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Before formatting my hard drive, thank god I remembered to backup and
> decrypt
> my one and only folder and sub-folders containing EFS-encrypted files.
>
> When I copied these formerly encrypted, but now decrypted files back to
> the
> newly formatted hard drive, I noticed that the "Current Owner" is now a
> mystery number: S-1-5-21-(9 digits)-(9 digits)- (10 digits)-1003.
>
> Who, or what is this new current owner?
>
> Is it safe to claim ownership of these files in my own name, from the top
> folder only, or could some residual EFS function turn my previously
> decrypted
> files to gibberish later, when I least expect it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> PAGA

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:18:01 PM

Scott,

Just found this message -- thanks for your help.

PAGA
Sydney

PS: EFS was an MS acronym I found and used in the Help files, (Encrypted
File System?), but I guess it's not a common one.

"Scott M." wrote:

> Can you access the folder? Can you see the files in the folder?
>
> If so, just create a new folder and move the files into it.
>
> By the way, I think you mean NTFS, not EFS.
>

> "PAGA" <PAGA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Before formatting my hard drive, thank god I remembered to backup and
> > decrypt
> > my one and only folder and sub-folders containing EFS-encrypted files.
> >
> > When I copied these formerly encrypted, but now decrypted files back to
> > the
> > newly formatted hard drive, I noticed that the "Current Owner" is now a
> > mystery number: S-1-5-21-(9 digits)-(9 digits)- (10 digits)-1003.
> >
> > Who, or what is this new current owner?
> >
> > Is it safe to claim ownership of these files in my own name, from the top
> > folder only, or could some residual EFS function turn my previously
> > decrypted
> > files to gibberish later, when I least expect it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > PAGA

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 8:28:32 PM

Hope you got your problem solved. EFS is a generic term, whereas NTFS (The
NT File System) is the actual EFS you are using.

!