Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best card for 70UKP?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 8:24:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I am looking for the best gameing card available for around £70 UKP, I
currently have a Radeon 8500LE running at 250/250

What I am looking for (and it may well be mission impossible) is a
card (either ATI or Nvidia) that will play Doom 3 at medium qulity at
1024x768.

I have my eye on a 9600 with 256meg but I haven't kept up with GFX
card technology since I bought my Radeon DDR VIVO some years ago which
was fine until Far Cry come out so I really have no idea how much
better this will be than my 8500LE

I know I want DX9 for all the Doom 3 bells and whistles but I don't
really know what to look for - Is memory speed more important than
processor speed?

I have a K7N2 Delta mobo, i gig DDR333 ram & a Athlon 2500+ so the
rest of the hardware is fine and the mobo supports AGP8x so I would
like to get a card that supports that.




-
e-mail to aoxr19[AT]dsl[DOT]pipex[DOT]com

*All e-mail to "reply to" adrress will*
*automatically be deleted*
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--

More about : card 70ukp

August 13, 2004 10:08:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

£70 should get you a radeon 9600pro or an nvidia 5600. both support most of
DX9 features (you need an X800 or 6800 for all of them). get the radeon.
"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
news:qjlph0pt8jo6rlkt37f0ubpqjsro0hlibo@4ax.com...
>I am looking for the best gameing card available for around £70 UKP, I
> currently have a Radeon 8500LE running at 250/250
>
> What I am looking for (and it may well be mission impossible) is a
> card (either ATI or Nvidia) that will play Doom 3 at medium qulity at
> 1024x768.
>
> I have my eye on a 9600 with 256meg but I haven't kept up with GFX
> card technology since I bought my Radeon DDR VIVO some years ago which
> was fine until Far Cry come out so I really have no idea how much
> better this will be than my 8500LE
>
> I know I want DX9 for all the Doom 3 bells and whistles but I don't
> really know what to look for - Is memory speed more important than
> processor speed?
>
> I have a K7N2 Delta mobo, i gig DDR333 ram & a Athlon 2500+ so the
> rest of the hardware is fine and the mobo supports AGP8x so I would
> like to get a card that supports that.
>
>
>
>
> -
> e-mail to aoxr19[AT]dsl[DOT]pipex[DOT]com
>
> *All e-mail to "reply to" adrress will*
> *automatically be deleted*
> -
> -
> -
> -
> -
> -
> -
> -
> -
> -
> -
> -
> -
> --
August 13, 2004 10:42:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Sunbow" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:QuGcnXBviMIKaIHcSa8jmA@karoo.co.uk...
> £70 should get you a radeon 9600pro or an nvidia 5600. both support most
of
> DX9 features (you need an X800 or 6800 for all of them). get the radeon.
> "Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> news:qjlph0pt8jo6rlkt37f0ubpqjsro0hlibo@4ax.com...
> >I am looking for the best gameing card available for around £70 UKP, I
> > currently have a Radeon 8500LE running at 250/250
> >
> > What I am looking for (and it may well be mission impossible) is a
> > card (either ATI or Nvidia) that will play Doom 3 at medium qulity at
> > 1024x768.
> >
> > I have my eye on a 9600 with 256meg but I haven't kept up with GFX
> > card technology since I bought my Radeon DDR VIVO some years ago which
> > was fine until Far Cry come out so I really have no idea how much
> > better this will be than my 8500LE
> >
> > I know I want DX9 for all the Doom 3 bells and whistles but I don't
> > really know what to look for - Is memory speed more important than
> > processor speed?
> >
> > I have a K7N2 Delta mobo, i gig DDR333 ram & a Athlon 2500+ so the
> > rest of the hardware is fine and the mobo supports AGP8x so I would
> > like to get a card that supports that.
> >

I have a similar set-up to you but only 512 ddr 400 ram dual channel.
I have a 9600xt and it runs doom3 at 800x600, med setting but aa x 2.

looking to upgrade to a 9800 pro soon.

'fodder

BTW, incase your wondering, ive already got a buyer for this one.



---
Outgoing mail is free from nasty things that can make your computer go all
wibbly.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.735 / Virus Database: 489 - Release Date: 06/08/2004
Related resources
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 6:47:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
news:qjlph0pt8jo6rlkt37f0ubpqjsro0hlibo@4ax.com...
> I am looking for the best gameing card available for around £70 UKP, I
> currently have a Radeon 8500LE running at 250/250

Got a used 9700 from eBay for less than £70.

--
Martin Francis http://www.sixbysix.co.uk
"Go not to Usenet for counsel, for it will say both no, and yes, and
no, and yes...."
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 2:36:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:47:04 +0000 (UTC), "Martin Francis"
<mcsalty@com.btinternet> wrote:

>"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>news:qjlph0pt8jo6rlkt37f0ubpqjsro0hlibo@4ax.com...
>> I am looking for the best gameing card available for around £70 UKP, I
>> currently have a Radeon 8500LE running at 250/250
>
>Got a used 9700 from eBay for less than £70.

Ended up getting a FX5900 after all...
-
e-mail to aoxr19[AT]dsl[DOT]pipex[DOT]com

*All e-mail to "reply to" adrress will*
*automatically be deleted*
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
!