Odd virus with internet explorer

Only when using internet explorer and google my searches seem to be hijacked.
Whatever i search for i get a whole host of porn and gambling links at the
top of the results followed by 3 or 4 blank links.

Its slowly creeping down my results list, taking up more of the page every
few searches. I've tried everything, norton, AVG, ccleaner, hijack this,
ad-aware, windows antispyware, browser hijack recover, and browser sentinel.
Nothing shows up as being wrong. Plus today all my setting seem to have
disappeared for the properties window. e.g. cant select to turn off images as
there is no text there!!!!

HELP!
3 answers Last reply
More about virus internet explorer

    Karen wrote:

    > Only when using internet explorer and google my searches seem to be
    > hijacked. Whatever i search for i get a whole host of porn and
    > gambling links at the top of the results followed by 3 or 4 blank
    > links.
    >
    > Its slowly creeping down my results list, taking up more of the page
    > every few searches. I've tried everything, norton, AVG, ccleaner,
    > hijack this, ad-aware, windows antispyware, browser hijack recover,
    > and browser sentinel. Nothing shows up as being wrong. Plus today all
    > my setting seem to have disappeared for the properties window. e.g.
    > cant select to turn off images as there is no text there!!!!
    >
    > HELP!

    Have you done all your scans in Safe Mode? Are all tools using the most
    recent versions/reference/definitions? I'll give you my general malware
    removal steps, but if you've already done them with no success then the
    only thing I can suggest is that you take the machine to a local
    computer professional. There is no shame in doing this; if my car is
    broken I don't hesitate to take it to the mechanic.
    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix (or WinSockFix for XP which you
    can get from MajorGeeks) - see links below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
    removing spyware
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://aumha.net - forums
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

    General:
    http://aumha.net - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Tried all of the above post, we have a resident computer proffesional and he
    is stumped short of entire windows reinstall. Just hoping it wont have to
    come to that.

    Windows XP Home
    IE 6

    There is nothing seeminhgly untoward in the registry, and no scanner or
    cleaner can find a thing wrong.

    We just dont get it, and cant find a post anywhere with the same problem!!!

    Re download internet explorer and re install browser. Maybe try downloading
    Smart Explorer (free).

    "Karen" wrote:

    > Tried all of the above post, we have a resident computer proffesional and he
    > is stumped short of entire windows reinstall. Just hoping it wont have to
    > come to that.
    >
    > Windows XP Home
    > IE 6
    >
    > There is nothing seeminhgly untoward in the registry, and no scanner or
    > cleaner can find a thing wrong.
    >
    > We just dont get it, and cant find a post anywhere with the same problem!!!

Internet Explorer Hijack Windows XP