Odd virus with internet explorer

February 25, 2005 5:31:08 AM

Only when using internet explorer and google my searches seem to be hijacked.
Whatever i search for i get a whole host of porn and gambling links at the
top of the results followed by 3 or 4 blank links.

Its slowly creeping down my results list, taking up more of the page every
few searches. I've tried everything, norton, AVG, ccleaner, hijack this,
ad-aware, windows antispyware, browser hijack recover, and browser sentinel.
Nothing shows up as being wrong. Plus today all my setting seem to have
disappeared for the properties window. e.g. cant select to turn off images as
there is no text there!!!!

HELP!
February 25, 2005 8:48:20 AM

Karen wrote:

> Only when using internet explorer and google my searches seem to be
> hijacked. Whatever i search for i get a whole host of porn and
> gambling links at the top of the results followed by 3 or 4 blank
> links.
>
> Its slowly creeping down my results list, taking up more of the page
> every few searches. I've tried everything, norton, AVG, ccleaner,
> hijack this, ad-aware, windows antispyware, browser hijack recover,
> and browser sentinel. Nothing shows up as being wrong. Plus today all
> my setting seem to have disappeared for the properties window. e.g.
> cant select to turn off images as there is no text there!!!!
>
> HELP!

Have you done all your scans in Safe Mode? Are all tools using the most
recent versions/reference/definitions? I'll give you my general malware
removal steps, but if you've already done them with no success then the
only thing I can suggest is that you take the machine to a local
computer professional. There is no shame in doing this; if my car is
broken I don't hesitate to take it to the mechanic.
1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
antivirus using updated definitions.

Before you remove malware, get LSPFix (or WinSockFix for XP which you
can get from MajorGeeks) - see links below.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
novices should get help with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
(Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Links to help with malware:

Software/Methods:
http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
removing spyware
http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

HijackThis:
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
Eshelman
http://aumha.net - forums
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

General:
http://aumha.net - look under "Security" for various forums
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Tried all of the above post, we have a resident computer proffesional and he
is stumped short of entire windows reinstall. Just hoping it wont have to
come to that.

Windows XP Home
IE 6

There is nothing seeminhgly untoward in the registry, and no scanner or
cleaner can find a thing wrong.

We just dont get it, and cant find a post anywhere with the same problem!!!
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:29:04 AM

Re download internet explorer and re install browser. Maybe try downloading
Smart Explorer (free).

!