can anyone please solve my problem? i have copied docs (word, pdf ech files)
from a HD with win 2000. i install win xp pro in a clean HD. i show this
files green and i cant manage them (open copy delete ...) because they
encoded by efs. allthoug i log on as administrtor and i ve tryied to cancel
efs or give another key to the encoder i manage to do nothing. can you tell
me what i can do?
thamks a lot
nikos

I'm assuming both HDs are on the same machine. Your EFS certificate and
private key are stored in your old profile on the W2K HD. You need those to
be able to access the files. If you can still boot into that HD, you can
export the certificate/key from the MMC Certificates snap-in to a .pfx file
and then boot into WXP and import the certificate/key into your WXP profile
(just run the .pfx file). Good luck.

Thanks.
Pat

"nikoswho" wrote:

> can anyone please solve my problem? i have copied docs (word, pdf ech files)
> from a HD with win 2000. i install win xp pro in a clean HD. i show this
> files green and i cant manage them (open copy delete ...) because they
> encoded by efs. allthoug i log on as administrtor and i ve tryied to cancel
> efs or give another key to the encoder i manage to do nothing. can you tell
> me what i can do?
> thamks a lot
> nikos

Do you have the ORIGINAL keys use to encrypt the data?
If not, you data is most likely gone for good.
See the links near the bottom of this link for ways to help prevent this in
the future:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"nikoswho" <nikoswho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone please solve my problem? i have copied docs (word, pdf ech
> files)
> from a HD with win 2000. i install win xp pro in a clean HD. i show this
> files green and i cant manage them (open copy delete ...) because they
> encoded by efs. allthoug i log on as administrtor and i ve tryied to
> cancel
> efs or give another key to the encoder i manage to do nothing. can you
> tell
> me what i can do?
> thamks a lot
> nikos

"nikoswho" <nikoswho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone please solve my problem? i have copied docs (word, pdf ech
> files)
> from a HD with win 2000. i install win xp pro in a clean HD. i show this
> files green and i cant manage them (open copy delete ...) because they
> encoded by efs. allthoug i log on as administrtor and i ve tryied to
> cancel
> efs or give another key to the encoder i manage to do nothing. can you
> tell
> me what i can do

You need either the original account (under Windows 2000 recovery keys) or
the Data Recovery Agent (usually the Administrator) from the original
Windows 2000 installs keys.
If you cannot get either of these then the contents of those encrypted files
is almost certainly lost.

--

Regards,

Mike