efs encrypted +lost key= tough luck?

a b 8 Security
February 25, 2005 4:05:06 PM

Hello all,

I´ve encrypted some files with efs and now I´ve lost the key.
I mean really lost the key, by reinstalling the OS (WinXP).
According to the posts I´ve read, there are no way I can recover my
files.

My question:
Is this true?
Is there absolutely no way to recover my files?

Thanks for any kind of hint or info.

Best Regards,
/Kid
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 25, 2005 5:16:44 PM

EFS is secure.
If you have no keys, your data is effectively gone for good.
If there was aback door or some other easy way to recover the data, anyone
could use that method and your data would not be secure:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

<bo_kid@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hello all,

I´ve encrypted some files with efs and now I´ve lost the key.
I mean really lost the key, by reinstalling the OS (WinXP).
According to the posts I´ve read, there are no way I can recover my
files.

My question:
Is this true?
Is there absolutely no way to recover my files?

Thanks for any kind of hint or info.

Best Regards,
/Kid
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 25, 2005 6:01:16 PM

Sad news, but thanks guys.

I guess I´ll have to wait for more powerfull computers.

/Kid
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 26, 2005 1:22:50 AM

<bo_kid@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
Hello all,

I´ve encrypted some files with efs and now I´ve lost the key.
Is there absolutely no way to recover my files?

I don't know if it works...but many declare it does, so I guess you'll have
to try it out by yourself...
http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/index...

Hope it does,

Stefano
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 26, 2005 1:22:51 AM

Yes, that does work...IF you have the keys.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Stefano Ferrante" <sorryIhate@spam.it> wrote in message
> I don't know if it works...but many declare it does, so I guess you'll
> have to try it out by yourself...
> http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/index...
>
> Hope it does,
>
> Stefano
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 26, 2005 2:02:02 AM

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Yes, that does work...IF you have the keys.

LOL
I won't say I completely read it through, as I did not (maybe because I use
a different way of encrypting my file)..but I thought the very last part of
the writing could be of some help...

Really impossible?

Stefano
!