Possible security threat?

I have a maching running XP and this week a dos box has been popping up for
mili-seconds at a time and then disappearing.

It's only noticiable if you're staring at the screen when it happens and it
happens too fast for me to see any kind of a toolbar header if it has one.

Anyone seeing anything like this around?

Thanks.

Colfax

oDear Colfax: I have had similar experiences, but they were usually
associated with me trying to do something that I didn't know had been changed
in XP. Like I used to be able to go to the command prompt easily. Now, it
seems that I must type in CMD into the Run line on Start menu. Several times
I have tried opening programs or OS type of things, and I get the same flash.
So part of what you see may be legitimate, but if it was not generated as a
result of some action taken by you, I would be suspicious too. I am
suspicious about XP. I've had too many also unexplainable 'occcurences' that
have happened to me. I know I haven't told you much, but just thought a
little information is better than none. Good luck.