anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fight..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

More about anyone creating yahoo group fight
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:50:17 +0000, difool
    <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

    >anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?

    No, but if you ever have problems getting out of a paper bag, give me
    a holler.

    Sorry, little humor to spice up the day.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    > anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?

    no.
    why does steam bother so many people? I bought HL2 the other day, installed
    it which took no longer than any other game, it updated itself which took
    about 2 minutes and it was ready to play, no problems, about 10 minutes
    spent installing and setting it up. Turned off starting with windows and it
    all works fine

    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >
    > please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Iain Dingsdale" wrote

    > why does steam bother so many people?

    About 50.000 users has banned due to illegal software activities eg cracking
    HL2, CDKey fraud, credit card fraud etc

    Obvious some of these users is kind of bothered by this - LOL
    They'll just have to learn one way or the other

    Ohh obvious some of 'em is just bypassers, but that's not an excuse either

    - Peter
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Iain Dingsdale" wrote
    >
    >> why does steam bother so many people?
    >
    > About 50.000 users has banned due to illegal software activities eg
    > cracking HL2, CDKey fraud, credit card fraud etc
    >
    > Obvious some of these users is kind of bothered by this - LOL
    > They'll just have to learn one way or the other
    >
    > Ohh obvious some of 'em is just bypassers, but that's not an excuse either

    So they are banning people for breaking the law, and people are whinging
    about it?

    > - Peter

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:42:55 GMT, "Iain Dingsdale"
    <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >why does steam bother so many people? I bought HL2 the other day, installed
    >it which took no longer than any other game, it updated itself which took
    >about 2 minutes and it was ready to play, no problems, about 10 minutes
    >spent installing and setting it up. Turned off starting with windows and it
    >all works fine

    "Why do drugs bother so many people? I just tried them, they made me
    feel good, so what's the problem?"

    Think out of the box. I've listed my personal reasons for not liking
    Steam in other threads, and they have nothing to do with being able to
    run Half-life 2 now.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "riku" <riku@invalid.none.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:47:32 GMT, "Iain Dingsdale"
    > <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Iain Dingsdale" wrote

    >>> About 50.000 users has banned due to illegal software activities eg
    >>> cracking HL2, CDKey fraud, credit card fraud etc
    >>>
    >>> Obvious some of these users is kind of bothered by this - LOL
    >>> They'll just have to learn one way or the other
    >>>
    >>> Ohh obvious some of 'em is just bypassers, but that's not an excuse
    >>> either
    >>
    >>So they are banning people for breaking the law, and people are whinging
    >>about it?
    >
    > No. Once again, few valid reasons for not liking Steam. I should make
    > a FAQ about this to the ones who have not paid attention:
    >
    > 1. Steam is restricting your ownership of the game. You can't easily
    > (or depending on your situation, at all) sell, lend or give away your
    > copy Half-life 2 like you can with any other PC or console games you
    > may have, at least if you have any other Steam games on your account.
    > This is basically because Steam does not offer any way to transfer
    > individual games between Steam accounts, nor a free way to unregister
    > a CD key of the CD/DVD version.
    >
    > This point would not matter that much if Steam games cost less than
    > other PC games to compensate for the ownership restrictions, but they
    > don't. In fact HL2 Steam version costs more than other similar PC
    > games, even newer ones.

    OK thats a bit annoying, you cant sell your game..

    > 2. Steam requires online validation even if you intent to play only
    > the single-player game. This may cause problems for you in the future
    > with your Steam game collection, if you'd like to do some retro-gaming
    > with your legal copy of Half-life 2 or other Steam game and install
    > it, but Steam network didn't exist anymore for some reason. Unlike
    > other PC games you have, Steam games are not standalone games. They
    > depend on the existence of the Steam system and Valve company.

    Cant see them going anywhere any time soon, can you? It clearly states on
    the box an internet connection is required also, and you can select to use
    offline mode

    > Some have said this is not a problem because surely there would be
    > cracks for all Steam games in such a situation, but how can they
    > promise something like that? Can you find cracks for any old PC games?
    > No. Cracks are usually only available for new games, and the most
    > well-known games. Try finding noCD cracks to e.g. The Dark Eye.
    >
    > Plus, cracks are illegal according to DMCA and Euro-DMCA, and may have
    > viruses or trojans in them.

    As i said, cross that bridge when/if you come to it. I imagine if something
    does happen to steam they will release a patch

    > 3. Unlike with other PC games, Steam does not let you choose which
    > update to use in case the newest game update does not work fine on
    > your system. For example, with Far Cry I chose to use the earlier
    > update (1.1) instead of the newest one (1.3) with its glitches. Same
    > happened with e.g. Deus Ex, one of the older updates worked better
    > than the newest update.
    >
    > Steam games don't offer this choice, you either must leave your Steam
    > game completely unpatched, or use only the very newest update.

    Jesus talk about picky, have you actually had any problems with any of the
    updates?

    > There are a few, I'm sure there are more drawbacks in the Steam
    > system.

    yes there are drawbacks but who cares, really?? Its incredibly sad, youve
    got a decent game that you like and that works, just play it for gods sake
    and get on with your life
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    riku wrote:
> [...]
    > No. Cracks are usually only available for new games, and the most
    > well-known games. Try finding noCD cracks to e.g. The Dark Eye.
    >
    > Plus, cracks are illegal according to DMCA and Euro-DMCA, and may have
    > viruses or trojans in them.
    >

    > 3. Unlike with other PC games, Steam does not let you choose which
    > update to use in case the newest game update does not work fine on
    > your system. For example, with Far Cry I chose to use the earlier
    > update (1.1) instead of the newest one (1.3) with its glitches. Same
    > happened with e.g. Deus Ex, one of the older updates worked better
    > than the newest update.
    >
    > Steam games don't offer this choice, you either must leave your Steam
    > game completely unpatched, or use only the very newest update.
    >

    > There are a few, I'm sure there are more drawbacks in the Steam

    thank you riku, although I'm not bothered by steam, its nice to see someone
    putting together some valid drawbacks of steam,instead of just the insane
    rantings of DiFool
    --

    You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:44:23 GMT, "Iain Dingsdale"
    <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >OK thats a bit annoying, you cant sell your game..

    Or lend it to your friend, or give it to your friend... Extra
    restrictions to the ownership of the game, something that other PC
    games nor console games don't have. I can give or sell my copy of PS2
    Burnout 3 to a friend of mine now that I don't play the game anymore.
    No such option with Steam games, at least without lots of pre-planning
    and extra hassle.

    >> 2. Steam requires online validation even if you intent to play only
    >> the single-player game. This may cause problems for you in the future
    >> with your Steam game collection, if you'd like to do some retro-gaming
    >> with your legal copy of Half-life 2 or other Steam game and install
    >> it, but Steam network didn't exist anymore for some reason. Unlike
    >> other PC games you have, Steam games are not standalone games. They
    >> depend on the existence of the Steam system and Valve company.
    >

    >Cant see them going anywhere any time soon, can you? It clearly states on
    >the box an internet connection is required also, and you can select to use
    >offline mode

    Define "any time soon". What makes you so certain Valve will exist
    forever? It is a mere two-hit wonder, a small development company that
    could easily perish. We are not talking about Microsoft or Electronic
    Arts here.

    Once successful PC game companies which have just kinda perished,
    something that might have seemed impossible back then:

    - Microprose
    - Sierra
    - Dynamix
    - Acclaim
    - (Interplay/Black Isle (are they still around??? At least they were
    in severe trouble some time ago.))
    - Looking Glass Studios
    - Westwood Studios

    And many more. What makes you so certain Valve can't disappear just
    like these companies which once made blockbuster games? PC gaming
    business is very volatile.

    >> Some have said this is not a problem because surely there would be
    >> cracks for all Steam games in such a situation, but how can they
    >> promise something like that? Can you find cracks for any old PC games?
    >> No. Cracks are usually only available for new games, and the most
    >> well-known games. Try finding noCD cracks to e.g. The Dark Eye.
    >>
    >> Plus, cracks are illegal according to DMCA and Euro-DMCA, and may have
    >> viruses or trojans in them.
    >
    >As i said, cross that bridge when/if you come to it. I imagine if something
    >does happen to steam they will release a patch

    You may imagine whatever you want. I have no idea what makes you
    believe that they will certainly do it. They are not into charity
    work, they are a company which cares only for maximum profit. Charity
    work will not help with that target. And either way they may not have
    that option either, if the original development team has already
    scattered to other companies and jobs.

    With other PC games or console games, there's no question about this.
    I don't have to give any thought to whether the company will continue
    supporting all their games in case the company perishes. I can still
    install and play the said games freely because they don't require
    online validation.

    >> 3. Unlike with other PC games, Steam does not let you choose which
    >> update to use in case the newest game update does not work fine on
    >> your system. For example, with Far Cry I chose to use the earlier
    >> update (1.1) instead of the newest one (1.3) with its glitches. Same
    >> happened with e.g. Deus Ex, one of the older updates worked better
    >> than the newest update.
    >>
    >> Steam games don't offer this choice, you either must leave your Steam
    >> game completely unpatched, or use only the very newest update.
    >
    >Jesus talk about picky, have you actually had any problems with any of the
    >updates?

    Can't you read? I gave you two examples. I used an older update with
    Far Cry because I wasn't interested in seeing the graphical glitches
    that the newest update introduced, and some older update to Deus Ex
    made the game more playable than the latest update, which again
    introduced some new bugs. Likewise, some people reported having more
    problems with some of the Half-life 2 updates they got, more stutter
    etc.

    It is not about being picky, it is about having choices of selecting
    the update which works the best on your particular system.

    >> There are a few, I'm sure there are more drawbacks in the Steam
    >> system.
    >>

    >yes there are drawbacks but who cares, really?? Its incredibly sad, youve

    Now you are just being arrogant. Obviously I care, since I wrote them?
    Are you so narrow-minded that because you don't care about certain
    flaws, no one else should either?

    It is interesting to see though that you were unable to come up with
    any good counter-arguments to any of those points.

    >got a decent game that you like and that works, just play it for gods sake
    >and get on with your life

    Once again, PAY ATTENTION!!! The discussion was not only about
    Half-life 2. It was about the Steam system on the whole.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Iain Dingsdale" wrote

    > So they are banning people for breaking the law, and people are whinging
    > about it?

    My best guess, only speculations and circumstantuel obviously
    From my point of view Steam is working flawlessly

    - Peter
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "riku" <riku@invalid.none.com> wrote in message
    > 1. Steam is restricting your ownership of the game. You can't easily
    > (or depending on your situation, at all) sell, lend or give away your
    > copy Half-life 2 like you can with any other PC or console games you
    > may have, at least if you have any other Steam games on your account.
    > This is basically because Steam does not offer any way to transfer
    > individual games between Steam accounts, nor a free way to unregister
    > a CD key of the CD/DVD version.

    This could be changed, if enough people kick up a fuss about it. A
    constructive fuss though, rather than some of the rabid stuff difool has
    been coming out with. If they did make improvement in this area it could
    even make selling games easier. I can't see any justification for valve
    charging for the process, or even needing the game CD returned - the serial
    number would become useless once the game was transferred within the system.

    > 2. Steam requires online validation even if you intent to play only
    > the single-player game. This may cause problems for you in the future
    > with your Steam game collection, if you'd like to do some retro-gaming
    > with your legal copy of Half-life 2 or other Steam game and install
    > it, but Steam network didn't exist anymore for some reason. Unlike
    > other PC games you have, Steam games are not standalone games. They
    > depend on the existence of the Steam system and Valve company.

    This has got to be the biggest sticking point. Not a big problem for me
    personally (I barely get the time to play my *new* games) but I can
    certainly see that it would be an issue for other people. If steam were
    separated from valve, and gained some popularity with other publishers then
    this wouldn't be such a problem. Once it reaches stability (assuming it
    hasn't already) it would require little human intervention to keep running,
    insignificant hardware/network costs, and could just produce a steady stream
    of income for the game developers using it, and the people operating it. No
    point in retiring old games from it either - all they'd be taking would be a
    small amount of disk space per game, and that's getting cheaper all the
    time. As it stands though, what could be a self-sufficient standalone
    business is vulnerable to any problems that valve the game developer might
    encounter.

    > 3. Unlike with other PC games, Steam does not let you choose which
    > update to use in case the newest game update does not work fine on
    > your system. For example, with Far Cry I chose to use the earlier
    > update (1.1) instead of the newest one (1.3) with its glitches. Same
    > happened with e.g. Deus Ex, one of the older updates worked better
    > than the newest update.
    >
    > Steam games don't offer this choice, you either must leave your Steam
    > game completely unpatched, or use only the very newest update.

    One can work around this to some extent by turning off automatic patching,
    and backing up the game directory before applying any patches. Support
    within steam itself for selective installation of patches would be far
    preferable though, and technically not difficult to achieve. Something that
    might be added if reasoned arguements for its addition are presented to
    Valve.

    Kev
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "riku" wrote

    > "Why do drugs bother so many people? I just tried them, they made me
    > feel good, so what's the problem?"

    That's big load of BS
    And no argument at all

    You don't need $2-300 a day in order to play HL2, guess where those money
    comes from and besides playing HL2 doesn't kill you slowly

    - Peter
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:20:54 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"riku" wrote
    >
    >> "Why do drugs bother so many people? I just tried them, they made me
    >> feel good, so what's the problem?"
    >>
    >That's big load of BS
    >And no argument at all
    >
    >You don't need $2-300 a day in order to play HL2, guess where those money
    >comes from and besides playing HL2 doesn't kill you slowly

    Wow, you were able to think "out of the box" in the drugs argument?
    Good for you! This was exactly what I was looking for!

    Now, extend that thinking to other things as well, like Steam. Steam
    is not only about playing Half-life 2. It is about whether you approve
    such restrictive distribution and validation systems for your future
    games.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    difool wrote:

    > anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >
    > please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

    Just don't buy anything that needs Steam, ever. That's the only thing
    that will have any effect if enough people do it.

    --

    | The New World Order ... Keep You Simple, Stupid.

  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    >>Eg not designed for todays processors
    >
    > So what? If for some reason I am unable to play them on my current
    > machine, I can still play them with the retro-PC that they were
    > created for. If they had online activation like Steam games do, they
    > would fail even in that!

    That's not really a problem either though, I don't think. Rather than
    uninstalling them simply back them up before removing them. When you want to
    play them simply copy them back again. Okay, they won't be able to contact
    to steam since we're supposing it won't exist, but you'll have backed up the
    validated installation, so it should just play in offline mode. Might be a
    little bit more to it, but it shouldn't be rocket science. And unlike using
    a crack, it wouldn't be violating any DRM issues.

    Kev
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > Steam games don't offer this choice, you either must leave your Steam
    > game completely unpatched, or use only the very newest update.

    No, no, no. You don't have the choice to leave it unpatched! I played
    through the game in December, and hadn't played it again for about 3 weeks.
    Wanted to show off the awesome graphics to a friend, but was surprised to
    see my "offline" info had expired! So it involved a 30 minute download
    (yes, I'm still on dialup) and a re-boot. Not happy that I have to jump
    through goddamn hoops to show off the game I paid $58 for on the day of
    release!
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    > anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?
    >
    > --

    No, I've not had a problem with it and neither have any of my colleagues. I
    personally advocate it where I can and will cotinue to do so. In fact.. an
    idea... a yahoo group to fight those who fight steam...

    *g*

    --
    TP
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "riku" wrote

    > Now, extend that thinking to other things as well, like Steam. Steam
    > is not only about playing Half-life 2. It is about whether you approve
    > such restrictive distribution and validation systems for your future
    > games.

    Send your regards to the crackers of the past decade

    FFS it's just a silly game
    Don't buy the darn thing if you don't like the idea of Steam

    Music:
    We have been moving from the old LP's through CD on possible DVD's in the
    future and even new and different media we don't anything of yet

    Video:
    Rember betamax?
    Can you get a betamax machine today?
    VHS is fading away
    Today it's DVD
    How many does a DVD last?

    Television is converting to digital and you can drop your one in the bin as
    useless

    My old games on 5 1/4 floppies- 3,5 floppies? - more or less useless

    These arguements is just about the same stupid arguments as the ongoing
    linux versus windows war

    Take the PS to PS2 transition
    PS Accessories is not compatible with PS2 allthough promised from Sony

    Technology evovles for the better and the worse
    Live with it or die with in frustration

    - Peter
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Peter Meilinger" wrote

    >>You have to take this lend thing out of your FAQ
    >>It's illegal to lend HL2
    >
    > Seriously? Wow. That's an idiotic rule. It's in the User
    > Agreement that no one ever reads, I take it? How's it
    > worded, exactly? I can certainly see it being illegal
    > to loan any software to someone

    I read it as lending out for money
    This might be named otherwise in english - sorry :-)

    - Peter
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Peter Lykkegaard <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >"Peter Meilinger" wrote

    >>>You have to take this lend thing out of your FAQ
    >>>It's illegal to lend HL2

    >> Seriously? Wow. That's an idiotic rule. It's in the User
    >> Agreement that no one ever reads, I take it? How's it
    >> worded, exactly? I can certainly see it being illegal
    >> to loan any software to someone

    >I read it as lending out for money
    >This might be named otherwise in english - sorry :-)

    Okay, I see what you mean. In English you'd generally
    say rent instead of lend. Renting something always
    costs money, but lending is generally free, though
    I can conceive of situations where lend would be
    an appropriate word along with rent.

    In any case, yes, buying a copy of a game and charging
    other people to play it is almost certainly illegal,
    at least without permission from the manufacturer.

    Pete
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    difool wrote:

    > anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?

    You need to get laid.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    difool wrote:

    > anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >
    > please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

    try this:
    http://www.smr-usenet.com/tech/create.shtml
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:29:52 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Peter Meilinger" wrote
    >
    >>>You have to take this lend thing out of your FAQ
    >>>It's illegal to lend HL2
    >>
    >> Seriously? Wow. That's an idiotic rule. It's in the User
    >> Agreement that no one ever reads, I take it? How's it
    >> worded, exactly? I can certainly see it being illegal
    >> to loan any software to someone
    >
    >I read it as lending out for money
    >This might be named otherwise in english - sorry :-)
    >
    >- Peter

    THat would be hiring the game out, which again is not illegal AFAIK.
    Unless of course, game companies put out versions specific for hiring
    like movie studios do with DVD's etc and there exists legislation
    barring the hiring of normal store bought games this shouldn't be
    illegal.

    Lending to friends once you are done, for no profit certainly and
    possibly for profit, is not illegal in SOuth Africa and I am certain
    the same applies to the US and UK. The rest of the world may be
    different, but I doubt it.

    Lynley
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Lynley James" wrote

    > THat would be hiring the game out, which again is not illegal AFAIK.

    It is for games released on Steam
    Read the EULA
    And it was even for HL1

    Valve has initiated a Cyber Cafe Program for cases like this

    - Peter
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    > anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >
    > please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

    I have developed a contraption that will forever eliminate (or at least
    reduce to a manageable level) steam from your life. What I've done,
    basically, is to use the output level from an industrial digital thermometer
    as a trigger to a heavy-duty relay that controls the main power to your
    home. All you do is place the thermometer's probe into your kettle, turn on
    the stove, and wait for the water to boil. When the temperature reaches the
    trigger point, power to the stove will be automatically cut. You will need
    to experiment with the temperature, depending on air pressure and other
    environmental factors, but if properly set, I assure you that steam
    production will be averted.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:47:19 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Lynley James" wrote
    >
    >> THat would be hiring the game out, which again is not illegal AFAIK.
    >
    >It is for games released on Steam
    >Read the EULA
    >And it was even for HL1
    >
    >Valve has initiated a Cyber Cafe Program for cases like this
    >
    >- Peter

    The EULA isn't regarded as legally binding in most countries. A EULA
    isn't even law if it considered binding, it is merely a contract. The
    only remedy for Valve in that case is to sue based on the contract and
    recover damages i.e. cash. You cannot in that circumstance be
    sentenced to jail time.

    How does Valve and other publishers handle video stores that rent
    games? One of the biggest chains in the US, Blockbuster, rents at
    least console games?

    Lynley
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Lynley James" wrote

    > The EULA isn't regarded as legally binding in most countries. A EULA
    > isn't even law if it considered binding, it is merely a contract. The
    > only remedy for Valve in that case is to sue based on the contract and
    > recover damages i.e. cash. You cannot in that circumstance be
    > sentenced to jail time.

    Who's talking about Jail?
    Civil lawsiut or removal of steamaccount is sufficient

    > How does Valve and other publishers handle video stores that rent
    > games? One of the biggest chains in the US, Blockbuster, rents at
    > least console games?

    It's common to rent console games in Denmark
    The libraries i Denmark has some elder PC games (and console games as well)
    I haven't seen pc games in eg Blockbuster (Video renting)

    The stores has an agreement with the distributor on renting the games/videos
    etc

    - Peter
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    difool wrote:
    > anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?

    I like Steam. Create a yahoo group about that instead...
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Toe Jam wrote:
    > difool wrote:
    >
    >>anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?
    >

    > I like Steam. Create a yahoo group about that instead...

    Where's Earl? Is he back on the home planet dancing to the phat beats?
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:45:36 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Lynley James" wrote
    >
    >> The EULA isn't regarded as legally binding in most countries. A EULA
    >> isn't even law if it considered binding, it is merely a contract. The
    >> only remedy for Valve in that case is to sue based on the contract and
    >> recover damages i.e. cash. You cannot in that circumstance be
    >> sentenced to jail time.
    >
    >Who's talking about Jail?
    >Civil lawsiut or removal of steamaccount is sufficient

    Like I said violating the EULA isn't illegal, if it is considered a
    binding contract in any country then you are in breach of contract and
    the only remedy is a civil suit. From your phrasing it sounded as if
    you believed that violating the EULA was a criminal offense.

    Lynley
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Lynley James" wrote

    > From your phrasing it sounded as if you believed that
    > violating the EULA was a criminal offense.

    Arghh, thanks for the update
    I totally agree it's not a criminal offense :-)

    - Peter
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:42:55 GMT, "Iain Dingsdale"
    > <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >why does steam bother so many people? I bought HL2 the other day,
    installed
    > >it which took no longer than any other game, it updated itself which took
    > >about 2 minutes and it was ready to play, no problems, about 10 minutes
    > >spent installing and setting it up. Turned off starting with windows and
    it
    > >all works fine
    >
    > "Why do drugs bother so many people? I just tried them, they made me
    > feel good, so what's the problem?"
    >
    > Think out of the box. I've listed my personal reasons for not liking
    > Steam in other threads, and they have nothing to do with being able to
    > run Half-life 2 now.

    Iain was lucky. There were tons of people who had a considerably longer
    wait than "10 minutes" to get their legit copy going on day one. The steam
    servers were over-crowded and some people on 56k had to wait hours.
    Meanwhile, there were people already playing it who had exploited the
    steam servers the night before.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Iain Dingsdale" <iaindingsdale@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

    > Cant see them going anywhere any time soon, can you?

    Yes. Why are they somehow immune from going under? There were
    probably people who thought Black-Isle and Interplay could never go
    away anytime soon. Spend some time trying to find a patch for a game
    purchased in the bargain bin and you'll notice how transitory the
    gaming industry is.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Support your right to own gnus.

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> writes:

    > > THat would be hiring the game out, which again is not illegal AFAIK.
    >
    > It is for games released on Steam
    > Read the EULA
    > And it was even for HL1

    License agreements are not laws! They have not even (in the US
    anyway) been shown to be valid contracts yet.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Support your right to own gnus.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> writes:

    > Technology evovles for the better and the worse
    > Live with it or die with in frustration

    But you don't have to throw away old technology. VHS may be
    obsolete to some people, but many still keep their players around,
    especially if they have VHS tapes they want to watch in the future.
    The same will be true for DVDs. All those $30 DVDs won't be thrown
    away on the same day that some tech magazine declares DVDs to be
    only for old people. If worse comes to worse, then the contents
    can be transferred to new media.

    If I pay $50 for HL2, I want to play it more than once. Your argument
    makes sense if it sold for $10 and came on quickly degradeable media.
    But instead it sells for a lot of money and comes on long lasting
    durable media.

    There are even some people out there who read books. Talk about your
    obsolete technologies! OMGLOL!!

    --
    Darin Johnson
    "You used to be big."

    "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> writes:

    > You need to get laid.

    NO!! Don't encourage him to reproduce!!

    --
    Darin Johnson
    "Particle Man, Particle Man, doing the things a particle can"

    "Lynley James" <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:47:19 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <snip>

    > How does Valve and other publishers handle video stores that rent
    > games? One of the biggest chains in the US, Blockbuster, rents at
    > least console games?
    >
    > Lynley

    Try and find a company in the US renting "computer" software. If it were
    legal, I believe that you'd see a ton of software in BlockBuster Video
    stores. Cause I believe there would be a huge market for it.

    I do recall back in '87 going down to a local software store that use to
    rent/sale computer software. I rented a lot of games back then before Demo
    disks came about. And a few years ago, I believe that BlockBuster (or one
    of the chain video stores) attempted to rent computer software. In both
    cases, I believe they were asked to stop or risk going to court.

    Others can correct me, but I believe that Blockbuster can rent console games
    because most people can't take it home and easily copy it like they could
    with computer software.

    difool wrote:
    > anyone wants to help me creating a yahoo group about fighting steam?
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >
    > please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

    have you figured out yet that you are the one picking the fight you
    cross-posting maroon? you act as if they were the Combine using armed
    force to take over......... twit. OMG, it's the STEAM troopers kicking
    down my door and loading insidious software on my computer and drinking
    my beer and drawing on my walls and making my dog spy on me and etc.,
    etc. you frigging paranoid

    before I plonk you, how many newsgroups and petitions have you started
    against something that was of any significance? goose egg comes to mind...

    I now know what kind of mentality it takes to be an unthinking,
    knee-jerk extremist. Thanks for the lesson and PLONK! you waste of bandwidth

    Cordially yours,
    John the lapdog of the STEAM troopers
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On 11 Jan 2005 15:51:33 GMT, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:

    >In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Peter Lykkegaard <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>"Peter Meilinger" wrote
    >>
    >>I read it as lending out for money
    >>This might be named otherwise in english - sorry :-)
    >
    >Okay, I see what you mean. In English you'd generally
    >say rent instead of lend. Renting something always
    >costs money, but lending is generally free, though
    >I can conceive of situations where lend would be
    >an appropriate word along with rent.
    >
    >In any case, yes, buying a copy of a game and charging
    >other people to play it is almost certainly illegal,
    >at least without permission from the manufacturer.

    Just for the record, when I wrote "lend the game to a friend", that is
    exactly what I meant. ;-) No money involved. That's what friends do
    many times, lend movies, games etc. to each others. Hardly illegal.

    Also for nitpickers, I wasn't referring to casual piracy either.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Darin Johnson wrote:

    > NO!! Don't encourage him to reproduce!!

    I just assumed difool would be attacted to sheep.
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:39:08 -0000, "Kevin O'Donovan"
    <not.real@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >>>Eg not designed for todays processors
    >>
    >> So what? If for some reason I am unable to play them on my current
    >> machine, I can still play them with the retro-PC that they were
    >> created for. If they had online activation like Steam games do, they
    >> would fail even in that!
    >>
    >That's not really a problem either though, I don't think. Rather than
    >uninstalling them simply back them up before removing them. When you want to
    >play them simply copy them back again. Okay, they won't be able to contact
    >to steam since we're supposing it won't exist, but you'll have backed up the
    >validated installation, so it should just play in offline mode. Might be a

    Try it. Back up your HL2 installation (cache) and Steam, and restore
    them to another PC without a net connection (with no prior Steam or
    HL2 installation), and see whether it lets you play HL2 single-player.

    >little bit more to it, but it shouldn't be rocket science. And unlike using
    >a crack, it wouldn't be violating any DRM issues.

    Sure, IF it worked that way. Wouldn't that mean pirates could simply
    backup their Steam + HL2 and distribute it to others to play HL2
    single-player offline, if it didn't require validation anymore when
    restored to a completely new system?
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    <not.real@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >"riku" <riku@invalid.none.com> wrote in message
    >>>Eg not designed for todays processors
    >>
    >> So what? If for some reason I am unable to play them on my current
    >> machine, I can still play them with the retro-PC that they were
    >> created for. If they had online activation like Steam games do, they
    >> would fail even in that!
    >>
    >That's not really a problem either though, I don't think. Rather than
    >uninstalling them simply back them up before removing them. When you want to
    >play them simply copy them back again. Okay, they won't be able to contact
    >to steam since we're supposing it won't exist, but you'll have backed up the
    >validated installation, so it should just play in offline mode. Might be a
    >little bit more to it, but it shouldn't be rocket science. And unlike using
    >a crack, it wouldn't be violating any DRM issues.
    >
    >Kev

    I noticed you said "so it should just play in offline mode"
    Do you actually know if it will or not ? Get back to us when you know
    for sure.
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:28:24 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> Now, extend that thinking to other things as well, like Steam. Steam
    >> is not only about playing Half-life 2. It is about whether you approve
    >> such restrictive distribution and validation systems for your future
    >> games.
    >
    >FFS it's just a silly game
    >Don't buy the darn thing if you don't like the idea of Steam

    And I thought you were able to think out of the box? Why were you able
    to do that in the drug example, but with regards to Steam games, your
    thinking went back to the caveman level?

    >Music:
    >We have been moving from the old LP's through CD on possible DVD's in the
    >future and even new and different media we don't anything of yet

    None of these new formats introduced restrictions to the ownership and
    usage of the music, so how is this relevant to Steam? You could sell,
    lend or give away music CDs just like you could your old LPs, right?
    And you can play the music in your CDs even if the band playing the
    music or the company which published the music has disappeared
    already, don't you?

    >Video:
    >Rember betamax?
    >Can you get a betamax machine today?
    >VHS is fading away
    >Today it's DVD

    How is this relevant at all to the Steam discussion? Caveman mode
    kicking in again? What ownership restrictions did DVD introduce that
    weren't there already with VHS tapes? At least it offered superior
    video and sound quality, which is a definite plus to the end user.

    >Television is converting to digital and you can drop your one in the bin as
    >useless
    >
    >My old games on 5 1/4 floppies- 3,5 floppies? - more or less useless

    If I wanted, I could still install and play original Doom 1-2 from the
    floppies.

    >These arguements is just about the same stupid arguments as the ongoing
    >linux versus windows war

    Or then you just didn't understand the discussion at all. Your
    arguments above are completely irrelevant to this Steam discussion.

    >Take the PS to PS2 transition
    >PS Accessories is not compatible with PS2 allthough promised from Sony

    Again, irrelevant to Steam discussion. Did PS2 introduce game
    ownership and usage restrictions compared to PSX? No.

    >Technology evovles for the better and the worse
    >Live with it or die with in frustration

    It seems you didn't comprehend at all what I was saying. I don't have
    any issues with new technology UNLESS they impose new unneeded
    restrictions which are there just to increase publisher profits. I
    welcomed DVDs due to the superior video and sound quality, smaller
    size and durability over VHS movie tapes.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    riku wrote:

    > None of these new formats introduced restrictions to the ownership and
    > usage of the music, so how is this relevant to Steam? You could sell,
    > lend or give away music CDs just like you could your old LPs, right?
    > And you can play the music in your CDs even if the band playing the
    > music or the company which published the music has disappeared
    > already, don't you?

    Don't you remember the whole VCRs are evil and must not be able to
    record thing in the 80's? Also VCRs don't allow me to backup my VHS
    collection without a descrambler!

    Some music CDs have copy protection and all kinds of wonky stuff that
    don't allow me to legally rip them into MP3 so I can put the songs in my
    MP3 player.

    I can't play 8 tracks anymore ;-)

    > How is this relevant at all to the Steam discussion? Caveman mode
    > kicking in again? What ownership restrictions did DVD introduce that
    > weren't there already with VHS tapes? At least it offered superior
    > video and sound quality, which is a definite plus to the end user.

    With DRM you could never "own" a DVD...hell as of right now you are
    technically not the owner, but just the holder of the data on the DVD...

    DRM will make it worse...remember Circuit City and DIVX? DRM is trying
    to force that on consumers.
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:07:37 -0000, "Kevin O'Donovan"
    <not.real@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >> Steam games don't offer this choice, you either must leave your Steam
    >> game completely unpatched, or use only the very newest update.
    >
    >One can work around this to some extent by turning off automatic patching,
    I turn it off all the time but somehow it always gets turned back to
    "Keep this game updated" magically every time Steam updates itself
    (which it does without asking )

    >and backing up the game directory before applying any patches.

    Well if Steam actually told me it was about to update HL2 then I might
    be able to do that. However Steam doesn't tell you in advance and even
    if it did don't you think that it's a major inconvenience to do all
    that backing up first ? On top of that even if you did backup Hl2 you
    would have to forever be watching Steam to make sure it didn't turn
    back on the "update this game" option the next time it updates itself.
    The fact is Steam is going to update itself and any game you start
    from Steam sooner or later.

    >Support
    >within steam itself for selective installation of patches would be far
    >preferable though, and technically not difficult to achieve. Something that
    >might be added if reasoned arguements for its addition are presented to
    >Valve.
    I don't think so. If they did that they wouldn't have an excuse for
    forcing you to go online for a SP game.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:18:27 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Iain Dingsdale" wrote
    >
    >> So they are banning people for breaking the law, and people are whinging
    >> about it?
    >>
    >My best guess, only speculations and circumstantuel obviously
    >From my point of view Steam is working flawlessly

    Personally, I have a problem with any copy protection system that
    affords legit users fewer rights than the pirates. I spent a few days
    without HL2 because my ISP couldn't find a route to any of the Steam
    servers. Sure, Steam is fine when it works but it removes many legit
    consumers' rights.

    They'll also need to make offline mode a bit more friendly before I'd
    consider buying another Steam game - I was all set to replay HL2 on my
    laptop over Christmas, but was unable to due to the lack of a decent
    connection in the rural area I was staying. Sure, you can tell me I'm
    a dumbo, I should read the FAQ, I should have prepared better, but
    that's missing the point. Should I *have* to jump through these DRM
    hoops? People that pirated the game didn't have to. Whilever Steam
    is providing a strong disincentive to legit behaviour, it is being
    counter-productive.

    Whilever people are saying "Steam is fine, it's only the pirates who
    complain", they are unwittingly paving the way for more inconvenient
    DRM measures. In what way can you possibly benefit as a consumer by
    advocating Steam or Steam-like systems? You now have less control
    over the software you pay for, and the choice to pay for software not
    crippled by these measures will be eroded by the support shown for
    Steam and systems like it.

    I for one have a limited amount of free time and I would prefer to
    spend it playing games, *not* fighting network problems or reading
    troubleshooting FAQs.
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    >>> So what? If for some reason I am unable to play them on my current
    >>> machine, I can still play them with the retro-PC that they were
    >>> created for. If they had online activation like Steam games do, they
    >>> would fail even in that!
    >>>
    >>That's not really a problem either though, I don't think. Rather than
    >>uninstalling them simply back them up before removing them. When you want
    >>play them simply copy them back again. Okay, they won't be able to contact
    >>to steam since we're supposing it won't exist, but you'll have backed up
    >>the
    >>validated installation, so it should just play in offline mode. Might be a
    >
    > Try it. Back up your HL2 installation (cache) and Steam, and restore
    > them to another PC without a net connection (with no prior Steam or
    > HL2 installation), and see whether it lets you play HL2 single-player.

    But I don't need to try it, since I've already said that this aspect of
    steam is not a problem for me personally. See my other post in this thread
    for why I don't expect it to be as simple as simply copying the steam
    folder.

    >>little bit more to it, but it shouldn't be rocket science. And unlike
    >>using
    >>a crack, it wouldn't be violating any DRM issues.
    >
    > Sure, IF it worked that way. Wouldn't that mean pirates could simply
    > backup their Steam + HL2 and distribute it to others to play HL2
    > single-player offline, if it didn't require validation anymore when
    > restored to a completely new system?

    Perhaps, but I suspect not. For one thing from what I've read here, they
    seem to have taken a different approach, ie to come up with steam server
    emulators. Even if they didn't, I'd expect a crack to be more likely to
    consist of a patch that replaced the call to authorise on steam with
    something that just returned an okay to proceed. At least one big
    disadvantage of what you suggested would be that if a crack were distributed
    that way it would have to contain all the details required to log onto a
    real steam account. All it would take would be for some user to
    inadvertantly forget to run it in offline mode, and the account would be
    hosed. It would be easy for steam to recognise any future log ons from that
    account, and mark all games such that they wouldn't even run in offline mode
    any more. The crackers seem to have taken the less complicated approach

    Kev
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:16:36 -0000, "Kevin O'Donovan"
    <not.real@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >But I don't need to try it, since I've already said that this aspect of
    >steam is not a problem for me personally.

    But we're not talking about your personal experience with Steam now
    are we?
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "riku" wrote
    > It seems you didn't comprehend at all what I was saying.

    Maybe not

    > I don't have any issues with new technology UNLESS they
    > impose new unneeded restrictions which are there just to
    > increase publisher profits.

    The transition from VHS to DVD and from LP to CD didn't increase publisher
    profits or industrial profits?

    > I welcomed DVDs due to the superior video and sound quality,
    > smaller size and durability over VHS movie tapes.

    Well right
    I welcome Steam for much of the same reasons
    It has it's problems and plenty
    But imho the concept is nice

    Granted the online activation is a bummer, but that's the only problem as I
    see it

    Yesterday I messed around with some custom thing on one of the games and got
    everything messed for good
    Instead of tediuos error searching and correcting like in the old days
    (forgot to backup) I just deleted the games folder and Steam recreated the
    content from the GCF files

    Instead of messing around with install files/patches etc on more PC's at
    home I can just install the steam client and login
    The rest is automatically taken care of

    Granted you *need* broadband in order to get all the advantages and if
    you're on dialup you might have an issue

    Personally I see most of the antisteam movement as a kind of "machine
    stormers"
    Like when the first automobile, the first steamengine, the first aeroplane
    came around

    Like the examples with VHS to DVD
    I need to buy new equipment to get the advantage and use the new technology

    Like games you need to get new hardware in order to play the latest games
    Isn't that partly done to increase publisher or industrial profits?

    I have my old 8088 XT box with dos 6.2 and wordperfect 5.1
    It's superior compared to a rig of today with latest XP/MSWord package
    Gives you something to think about

    I have played games 15 years ago which is far superior with respect to
    gameplay than the ones you get today
    Every new release isn't that done in order to gain and increase profit?
    The gaming industry is the fastest growing business today

    - Peter
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    <not.real@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >> Try it. Back up your HL2 installation (cache) and Steam, and restore
    >> them to another PC without a net connection (with no prior Steam or
    >> HL2 installation), and see whether it lets you play HL2 single-player.
    >>
    >But I don't need to try it, since I've already said that this aspect of
    >steam is not a problem for me personally. See my other post in this thread
    >for why I don't expect it to be as simple as simply copying the steam
    >folder.

    Ok then, let me know when you have figured out how this would work.
    Until then, I consider it unachievable. Wouldn't this help casual
    pirates? I thought you said in the earlier message Steam was meant to
    stop them?

    Would I have to do that obscure manual backup/restore for each Steam
    game separately, or does the same process enable all Steam games as
    well?

Games Yahoo Steam IBM Video Games