What good are XP Pro User Accounts?

My daughter has a game, Sims 2, that requires her to run it from my admin
account. What good does it do to have Win XP Pro and require all users to
have admin rights to run the software you want?

Is it possible to create an account that allows my daughter to play this
game without gaining full system access? She's not old enough to know what
not to do.

Can I create an admin account that may not access the internet so she can
run the game without me worrying about her installing additional features, ie
trojans, viruses, and spyware? I can't rely on her to unplug eithernet, nor
block internet traffic. She does know how to turn it on, log in, and run her
game though.

We're running XP Pro, SP2, with EZ Firewall, EZ Antivirus, Roadrunner,
adaware, and spybot. (And we're still vulnerable).
4 answers Last reply
More about what good user accounts

    Kurt M. Sanger wrote:

    > My daughter has a game, Sims 2, that requires her to run it from my
    > admin
    > account. What good does it do to have Win XP Pro and require all
    > users to have admin rights to run the software you want?
    >
    > Is it possible to create an account that allows my daughter to play
    > this
    > game without gaining full system access? She's not old enough to know
    > what not to do.
    >
    > Can I create an admin account that may not access the internet so she
    > can run the game without me worrying about her installing additional
    > features, ie
    > trojans, viruses, and spyware? I can't rely on her to unplug
    > eithernet, nor
    > block internet traffic. She does know how to turn it on, log in, and
    > run her game though.
    >
    > We're running XP Pro, SP2, with EZ Firewall, EZ Antivirus, Roadrunner,
    > adaware, and spybot. (And we're still vulnerable).

    There is a patch for The Sims that will allow it to run in a Limited
    account. Go to the game's website.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Hi kurt. had same problem with sim2 please goto the sims2 web site i think
    its eagames.com they have a fix for your exact problem. you will have to
    downlaod a patch to make the game work under all profiles hope this helps it
    worked great for me. and you don't have to do anything to your user accounts
    for it to work.

    Kurt M. Sanger wrote:
    > My daughter has a game, Sims 2, that requires her to run it from my admin
    > account. What good does it do to have Win XP Pro and require all users to
    > have admin rights to run the software you want?

    Ask the makers of the game that hasn't been properly designed to run on
    a multi-user OS.

    > Is it possible to create an account that allows my daughter to play this
    > game without gaining full system access? She's not old enough to know what
    > not to do.

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed. Quite
    simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't "know"
    how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries to
    make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to
    all current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the
    corresponding locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    For some obscure reason, game developers in particular seem to not
    understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and require even limited
    users to have unnecessarily high privileges to protected systems
    folders. For example, saved games are often stored in a sub-folder
    under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should have write permissions.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    > Can I create an admin account that may not access the internet so she can
    > run the game without me worrying about her installing additional features, ie
    > trojans, viruses, and spyware?

    No, not really. An admin account is, by definition, "omnipotent." The
    only limit to its "power" over everything on the computer is the
    knowledge of the user.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Thanks; I've updates SIMS 2 with a new patch.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Kurt M. Sanger wrote:
    >
    > > My daughter has a game, Sims 2, that requires her to run it from my
    > > admin
    > > account. What good does it do to have Win XP Pro and require all
    > > users to have admin rights to run the software you want?
    > >
    > > Is it possible to create an account that allows my daughter to play
    > > this
    > > game without gaining full system access? She's not old enough to know
    > > what not to do.
    > >
    > > Can I create an admin account that may not access the internet so she
    > > can run the game without me worrying about her installing additional
    > > features, ie
    > > trojans, viruses, and spyware? I can't rely on her to unplug
    > > eithernet, nor
    > > block internet traffic. She does know how to turn it on, log in, and
    > > run her game though.
    > >
    > > We're running XP Pro, SP2, with EZ Firewall, EZ Antivirus, Roadrunner,
    > > adaware, and spybot. (And we're still vulnerable).
    >
    > There is a patch for The Sims that will allow it to run in a Limited
    > account. Go to the game's website.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User