HL 1 Missing Switch in Blast Pit area - Possible spoiler

Possible Spoiler although I'm sure you've all completed HL1 already
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Greetings

I am way behind everyone else and am still enjoying the first Half Life - or
I was until I got stuck in the above area. I need to find a switch to lift a
barrier on a cart railway line and cant find it anywhere. It is just past
bunker with a turret and I come out through a tunnel to see two tracks.
Above me are two soldiers I think that I can kill and I think the switch is
up in that room. I cant get up there though as the opening to the stairs is
blocked by steel boxes that I cant jump onto as they are too high. If I
carry on and go down the right tunnel there is a soldier who pushes down a
detinator and blows some explosives on a wall - nothing else I can see down
there. (Does something different happen if you kill him before he pushes the
detinator down?)

If I go left I go past a rocket launcher and then on the right there is
another bunker and 3 soldiers that I clear and pull the switch there and
open the barrier there with no problem - but no sign of the switch for the
barrier before it?

Any help/pointers appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about missing switch blast area spoiler

    "John Smith" <1234@567678> wrote
    > I am way behind everyone else and am still enjoying the first Half Life -
    or
    > I was until I got stuck in the above area. I need to find a switch to lift
    > barrier on a cart railway line and cant find it anywhere. It is just past
    > bunker with a turret and I come out through a tunnel to see two tracks.
    > Above me are two soldiers I think that I can kill and I think the switch
    is
    > up in that room. I cant get up there though as the opening to the stairs
    is
    > blocked by steel boxes that I cant jump onto as they are too high.

    That's the way to go, John. Over the metal crates. You have to crouch-jump
    to get over them, though. At the same time you jump up, crouch down. This
    results in a jump but your knees are tucked up, giving you a little more
    clearance to get over the boxes. Just stick with it.
    --
    David
    davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

    On 2005-01-11, John Smith <1234@567678> wrote:
    > Possible Spoiler although I'm sure you've all completed HL1 already
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > Greetings
    >
    > I am way behind everyone else and am still enjoying the first Half Life - or
    > I was until I got stuck in the above area. I need to find a switch to lift a
    > barrier on a cart railway line and cant find it anywhere. It is just past
    > bunker with a turret and I come out through a tunnel to see two tracks.
    > Above me are two soldiers I think that I can kill and I think the switch is
    > up in that room. I cant get up there though as the opening to the stairs is
    > blocked by steel boxes that I cant jump onto as they are too high. If I
    > carry on and go down the right tunnel there is a soldier who pushes down a
    > detinator and blows some explosives on a wall - nothing else I can see down
    > there. (Does something different happen if you kill him before he pushes the
    > detinator down?)
    >
    > If I go left I go past a rocket launcher and then on the right there is
    > another bunker and 3 soldiers that I clear and pull the switch there and
    > open the barrier there with no problem - but no sign of the switch for the
    > barrier before it?
    >
    > Any help/pointers appreciated.

    I remember where you mean, (metal hook blocking the path?) but I'm not
    sure. Have you tried duck-jumping over the steel crates?

    --
    Toby.
    FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

    Thanks for that - I did try running jumps and the like around the crate but
    obviously didn't get it right. I will persist with the crouch jump
    technique. I feared it might be a bug and I'd have to start again so thanks
    again for the pointer.

    John Smith wrote:
    > Thanks for that - I did try running jumps and the like around the
    > crate but obviously didn't get it right. I will persist with the
    > crouch jump technique. I feared it might be a bug and I'd have to
    > start again so thanks again for the pointer.

    Nope, well known question. IIRC, this is the first point in the game where you
    *have* to crouch-jump to progress, so people who haven't practiced it tend to
    get stuck here. If all else fails, try the Hazard Course again :)

    --
    Paul

    Crouch jump worked like a charm - thanks. As Paul posted I havent needed to
    use this jump for ages if at all and couldn't see it in the moves list.

    I feared a bug as I have fallen foul of the old stuck in an elevator
    scenario on two seperate occasions so my mind was thinking the worst.

    Oh well on with sedating swimming beasts and jumping improbable gaps on
    slippery gangways!

    "Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > John Smith wrote:
    > > Thanks for that - I did try running jumps and the like around the
    > > crate but obviously didn't get it right. I will persist with the
    > > crouch jump technique. I feared it might be a bug and I'd have to
    > > start again so thanks again for the pointer.
    >
    > Nope, well known question. IIRC, this is the first point in the game
    where you
    > *have* to crouch-jump to progress, so people who haven't practiced it tend
    > get stuck here. If all else fails, try the Hazard Course again :)
    >
    > --
    > Paul

Tunnel Switch Games Video Games