HL 1 Missing Switch in Blast Pit area - Possible spoiler

Possible Spoiler although I'm sure you've all completed HL1 already
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Greetings

I am way behind everyone else and am still enjoying the first Half Life - or
I was until I got stuck in the above area. I need to find a switch to lift a
barrier on a cart railway line and cant find it anywhere. It is just past
bunker with a turret and I come out through a tunnel to see two tracks.
Above me are two soldiers I think that I can kill and I think the switch is
up in that room. I cant get up there though as the opening to the stairs is
blocked by steel boxes that I cant jump onto as they are too high. If I
carry on and go down the right tunnel there is a soldier who pushes down a
detinator and blows some explosives on a wall - nothing else I can see down
there. (Does something different happen if you kill him before he pushes the
detinator down?)

If I go left I go past a rocket launcher and then on the right there is
another bunker and 3 soldiers that I clear and pull the switch there and
open the barrier there with no problem - but no sign of the switch for the
barrier before it?

Any help/pointers appreciated.

"John Smith" <1234@567678> wrote
> I am way behind everyone else and am still enjoying the first Half Life -
or
> I was until I got stuck in the above area. I need to find a switch to lift
> barrier on a cart railway line and cant find it anywhere. It is just past
> bunker with a turret and I come out through a tunnel to see two tracks.
> Above me are two soldiers I think that I can kill and I think the switch
is
> up in that room. I cant get up there though as the opening to the stairs
is
> blocked by steel boxes that I cant jump onto as they are too high.

That's the way to go, John. Over the metal crates. You have to crouch-jump
to get over them, though. At the same time you jump up, crouch down. This
results in a jump but your knees are tucked up, giving you a little more
clearance to get over the boxes. Just stick with it.
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

Toby

On 2005-01-11, John Smith <1234@567678> wrote:
> Possible Spoiler although I'm sure you've all completed HL1 already
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Greetings
>
> I am way behind everyone else and am still enjoying the first Half Life - or
> I was until I got stuck in the above area. I need to find a switch to lift a
> barrier on a cart railway line and cant find it anywhere. It is just past
> bunker with a turret and I come out through a tunnel to see two tracks.
> Above me are two soldiers I think that I can kill and I think the switch is
> up in that room. I cant get up there though as the opening to the stairs is
> blocked by steel boxes that I cant jump onto as they are too high. If I
> carry on and go down the right tunnel there is a soldier who pushes down a
> detinator and blows some explosives on a wall - nothing else I can see down
> there. (Does something different happen if you kill him before he pushes the
> detinator down?)
>
> If I go left I go past a rocket launcher and then on the right there is
> another bunker and 3 soldiers that I clear and pull the switch there and
> open the barrier there with no problem - but no sign of the switch for the
> barrier before it?
>
> Any help/pointers appreciated.

I remember where you mean, (metal hook blocking the path?) but I'm not
sure. Have you tried duck-jumping over the steel crates?

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

Thanks for that - I did try running jumps and the like around the crate but
obviously didn't get it right. I will persist with the crouch jump
technique. I feared it might be a bug and I'd have to start again so thanks
again for the pointer.

John Smith wrote:
> Thanks for that - I did try running jumps and the like around the
> crate but obviously didn't get it right. I will persist with the
> crouch jump technique. I feared it might be a bug and I'd have to
> start again so thanks again for the pointer.

Nope, well known question. IIRC, this is the first point in the game where you
*have* to crouch-jump to progress, so people who haven't practiced it tend to
get stuck here. If all else fails, try the Hazard Course again :)

--
Paul

Crouch jump worked like a charm - thanks. As Paul posted I havent needed to
use this jump for ages if at all and couldn't see it in the moves list.

I feared a bug as I have fallen foul of the old stuck in an elevator
scenario on two seperate occasions so my mind was thinking the worst.

Oh well on with sedating swimming beasts and jumping improbable gaps on
slippery gangways!