Win XP Media Center edition and AIW crads

jerome

Distinguished
May 17, 2002

Dell has computers with Win XP Media Center Edition and AIW 64MB Radeon
9000.

I have 128MB AIW Radeon 8500. Is it possible to replace the Radeon 9000
card with the AIW 8500 or AIW 9600 cards and still have the Media Center
Edition features function properly?

Thanks in advance.

"jerome" <jeromehsx@altavista.com> wrote in message
> Dell has computers with Win XP Media Center Edition and AIW 64MB Radeon
> 9000.
>
> I have 128MB AIW Radeon 8500. Is it possible to replace the Radeon 9000
> card with the AIW 8500 or AIW 9600 cards and still have the Media Center
> Edition features function properly?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I have a Media Center PC (HP) and replaced a GeForce MX440 with an ATI card
with no problem.

"Agent777" <Agent777@n0-n0-na.net> wrote in message

> "jerome" <jeromehsx@altavista.com> wrote in message
> > Dell has computers with Win XP Media Center Edition and AIW 64MB Radeon
> > 9000.
> >
> > I have 128MB AIW Radeon 8500. Is it possible to replace the Radeon 9000
> > card with the AIW 8500 or AIW 9600 cards and still have the Media Center
> > Edition features function properly?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>

> I have a Media Center PC (HP) and replaced a GeForce MX440 with an ATI
card
> with no problem.

That'll be because the TV functionality is still being performed by the ATI
eHome Wonder though won't it? The way Dell get the All In Wonder based MCE
products to work is through a special driver - not sure if it works with
cards below 9xxx series (ie the 8500 may be a no go). The OP should ask Dell
and they should be willing to assist (although in my experience it may take
a while to get someone with the required level of knowledge to answer
questions such as this). www.xpmce.com forums may also have something on it.

Paul

"Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Agent777" <Agent777@n0-n0-na.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "jerome" <jeromehsx@altavista.com> wrote in message
> > > Dell has computers with Win XP Media Center Edition and AIW 64MB
Radeon
> > > 9000.
> > >
> > > I have 128MB AIW Radeon 8500. Is it possible to replace the Radeon
9000
> > > card with the AIW 8500 or AIW 9600 cards and still have the Media
Center
> > > Edition features function properly?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >

> > I have a Media Center PC (HP) and replaced a GeForce MX440 with an ATI
> card
> > with no problem.
> >
> That'll be because the TV functionality is still being performed by the
ATI
> eHome Wonder though won't it?

No. It was just a plain 9600XT. NOT an All in Wonder. It has a separate
input card for cable. Maybe Dell is dfferent.

Agent777 wrote:

> "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Agent777" <Agent777@n0-n0-na.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "jerome" <jeromehsx@altavista.com> wrote in message
> Radeon

> 9000
> Center

>> > I have a Media Center PC (HP) and replaced a GeForce MX440 with an ATI
>> card
>> > with no problem.
>> >
>> That'll be because the TV functionality is still being performed by the
> ATI
>> eHome Wonder though won't it?
>
> No. It was just a plain 9600XT. NOT an All in Wonder. It has a separate
> input card for cable. Maybe Dell is dfferent.

I'm not sure I see your point. The eHome Wonder should work with any video
board that supports overlay.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

> "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>.

> > That'll be because the TV functionality is still being performed by the
> ATI
> > eHome Wonder though won't it?
>
> No. It was just a plain 9600XT. NOT an All in Wonder. It has a separate
> input card for cable. Maybe Dell is dfferent.

<snip> >
The ATI eHome Wonder *is* a separate TV Tuner card made especially for
Windows XP MCE use - it even has hardware mpeg2 encoding as required to meet
the MCE criteria. Its a little known product ATI has put out "in the
background" but there is a webpage about it here:
http://www.ati.com/products/ehome/index.html Note that it is an entirely
different product to an All In Wonder and I understood that you weren't
using an AIW - how could you be if you had an Nvidea card in your AGP slot.
Since you took this out and put the Radeon in that hasn't affected the TV or
MCE functionality because the TV card is still there unchanged - that was my
point.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS