9600 (non-SE) 256MB or 9600XT 128MB?

I'm trying to decide between these 2 cards for around the same price.
Actually, the 9600XT is about $30 more than the standard 9600. The 9600 has
more memory than the 9600XT (256 vs. 128) but the 9600XT has a faster engine
and memory clock speed. Will the extra memory offset the slower engine and
memory clock speed? Sorry if a lot of this is redundant.....

What's the better card for Doom 3 and HL2?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Frank Bals" <fjb@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to decide between these 2 cards for around the same price.
> Actually, the 9600XT is about $30 more than the standard 9600. The 9600
has
> more memory than the 9600XT (256 vs. 128) but the 9600XT has a faster
engine
> and memory clock speed. Will the extra memory offset the slower engine and
> memory clock speed? Sorry if a lot of this is redundant.....
>
> What's the better card for Doom 3 and HL2?

The 9600XT is a LOT better than a straight 9600. 325Mhz core, 400Mhz
effective memory on the 9600. 500Mhz core, 600Mhz memory effective on the
XT. This is a big difference. As for the extra memory on the straight 9600,
forget it. Having a gig of RAM is more important than having 256Mb of video
memory.

In article <zRUTc.455948$Gx4.220937@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, Frank Bals says...
> I'm trying to decide between these 2 cards for around the same price.
> Actually, the 9600XT is about $30 more than the standard 9600. The 9600 has
> more memory than the 9600XT (256 vs. 128) but the 9600XT has a faster engine
> and memory clock speed. Will the extra memory offset the slower engine and
> memory clock speed? Sorry if a lot of this is redundant.....

9700 Pro. PLenty on E-Bay and because they're a 256 bit bus they beat
9600's.

--
Conor

Do gooders are your most dangerous enemies. Never turn your back on the
devious bastards.