9600 (non-SE) 256MB or 9600XT 128MB?

I'm trying to decide between these 2 cards for around the same price.
Actually, the 9600XT is about $30 more than the standard 9600. The 9600 has
more memory than the 9600XT (256 vs. 128) but the 9600XT has a faster engine
and memory clock speed. Will the extra memory offset the slower engine and
memory clock speed? Sorry if a lot of this is redundant.....

What's the better card for Doom 3 and HL2?
2 answers Last reply
More about 9600 256mb 9600xt 128mb

    "Frank Bals" <fjb@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to decide between these 2 cards for around the same price.
    > Actually, the 9600XT is about $30 more than the standard 9600. The 9600
    has
    > more memory than the 9600XT (256 vs. 128) but the 9600XT has a faster
    engine
    > and memory clock speed. Will the extra memory offset the slower engine and
    > memory clock speed? Sorry if a lot of this is redundant.....
    >
    > What's the better card for Doom 3 and HL2?

    The 9600XT is a LOT better than a straight 9600. 325Mhz core, 400Mhz
    effective memory on the 9600. 500Mhz core, 600Mhz memory effective on the
    XT. This is a big difference. As for the extra memory on the straight 9600,
    forget it. Having a gig of RAM is more important than having 256Mb of video
    memory.

    In article <zRUTc.455948$Gx4.220937@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, Frank Bals says...
    > I'm trying to decide between these 2 cards for around the same price.
    > Actually, the 9600XT is about $30 more than the standard 9600. The 9600 has
    > more memory than the 9600XT (256 vs. 128) but the 9600XT has a faster engine
    > and memory clock speed. Will the extra memory offset the slower engine and
    > memory clock speed? Sorry if a lot of this is redundant.....

    9700 Pro. PLenty on E-Bay and because they're a 256 bit bus they beat
    9600's.

    --
    Conor

    Do gooders are your most dangerous enemies. Never turn your back on the
    devious bastards.

Radeon Engine Memory ATI Graphics Product