A STEAMed World....A Fiction Work.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The year is...2008.

Valve's Steam success in eradicating piracy and mass users controlling
system has lead to globalisation of Steam application in all aspects of
life and Steam now is licensed to government.

"I woke up in the reminding sound of Gabe's "Welcome to a new Steam Day"
voice on my alarm clock, the clock hooked to the internet time server
and synchronised through STEAM.

My computer screen was still on since last night...angry message from my
boss through STEAM : "Your STEAM's work monitoring data showed that You
have been late in submitting your report due to surfing the net at work
, therefore your salary of this month will be put on hold until you
finish your work!"

I quickly got up and went to take a shower, turned the hot water on
.....No, my water has been cut. A female voice (" a la train ride female
voice in HL") sounding through STEAM- connected -hot- water -system in
my house: "Due to your inability in paying your water bills, your water
now is disconnected until you finish your report and get your salary
deposited into STEAM". There is no STEAMed steamy hot water for me today
then.

I decide to go to work then, so I went preparing breakfast, the
microwave refused to operate stating the same reason, all food in the
fridge got spoiled as the fridge has been turned off automatically
through STEAM last night.

The only thing works is electricity, to power STEAM, to notify me about
my salary suspension....only until tomorrow...

I have to race with time.

My car does not log me on driver seat as last night it has received
instruction from STEAM through wireless signals about my suspended
salary.

I have to get public transport to go to my office. Everybody looked at
me with contempt as I looked very messy.

Then at work, I finish my report brilliantly and promtly, my life is
back again......my hot water running, my car functionning, my stereo
playing....I am STEAMed clean again.....Just one "switch on" back by
STEAM...The services delivery system and work performance monitoring is
genious!!!!!"

Tinfoiled Hat.

dan wrote:
> The year is...2008.
>
> Valve's Steam success in eradicating piracy and mass users controlling
> system has lead to globalisation of Steam application in all aspects
> of life and Steam now is licensed to government.
>
> "I woke up in the reminding sound of Gabe's "Welcome to a new Steam
> Day" voice on my alarm clock, the clock hooked to the internet time
> server and synchronised through STEAM.
>
> My computer screen was still on since last night...angry message from
> my boss through STEAM : "Your STEAM's work monitoring data showed
> that You have been late in submitting your report due to surfing the
> net at work , therefore your salary of this month will be put on hold
> until you finish your work!"

It'll never happen... They won't get Friends Messaging working by 2008 ;)

--
Paul

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"dan" <nemo@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> deposited into STEAM". There is no STEAMed steamy hot water for me today
> then.

Absolute brilliant reading :)

--

Liddle Feesh
*fap fap fap fap*

"McGrandpa" wrote

> "dan"
> snip
>>
>> Tinfoiled Hat.
>
> Nice :)

Yeah, the start reminded me a little of 1980 (and HL2 sort of)
But the middle faded a little

Very good overall
- 9 steam points from Denmark

;-) Peter

That's great!!!! I appears to have been written by George Orwell or
Aldous Huxley.... HeHe been 45 years since I read BNW and I still
mutter "Damned Brown suited Delta minus semi-morons.... "

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:10:36 +1100, dan <nemo@nowhere.com> wrote:

>The year is...2008.
>
>Valve's Steam success in eradicating piracy and mass users controlling
>system has lead to globalisation of Steam application in all aspects of
>life and Steam now is licensed to government.
>
>"I woke up in the reminding sound of Gabe's "Welcome to a new Steam Day"
>voice on my alarm clock, the clock hooked to the internet time server
>and synchronised through STEAM.
>
>My computer screen was still on since last night...angry message from my
>boss through STEAM : "Your STEAM's work monitoring data showed that You
>have been late in submitting your report due to surfing the net at work
>, therefore your salary of this month will be put on hold until you
>finish your work!"
>
>I quickly got up and went to take a shower, turned the hot water on
>....No, my water has been cut. A female voice (" a la train ride female
>voice in HL") sounding through STEAM- connected -hot- water -system in
>my house: "Due to your inability in paying your water bills, your water
>now is disconnected until you finish your report and get your salary
>deposited into STEAM". There is no STEAMed steamy hot water for me today
>then.
>
>I decide to go to work then, so I went preparing breakfast, the
>microwave refused to operate stating the same reason, all food in the
>fridge got spoiled as the fridge has been turned off automatically
>through STEAM last night.
>
>The only thing works is electricity, to power STEAM, to notify me about
>my salary suspension....only until tomorrow...
>
>I have to race with time.
>
>My car does not log me on driver seat as last night it has received
>instruction from STEAM through wireless signals about my suspended
>salary.
>
>I have to get public transport to go to my office. Everybody looked at
>me with contempt as I looked very messy.
>
>Then at work, I finish my report brilliantly and promtly, my life is
>back again......my hot water running, my car functionning, my stereo
>playing....I am STEAMed clean again.....Just one "switch on" back by
>STEAM...The services delivery system and work performance monitoring is
>genious!!!!!"
>
>Tinfoiled Hat.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

strider

dan proclaimed...

> Tinfoiled Hat.

I'm beginning to think you don't like steam.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

"Forget about it"

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Sadly, systems like STEAM are not only locking out pirates, but also
>> dial-up
>> users. I certainly can't pull down 3 gigs over a freaking modem, and
>> eventually software developers will stop publishing on CD/DVD and move to
>> an
>> entirely Net-based distribution...
>>

> Sigh. You dont have to pull in 3 gigs. Buy the retail version. Dont
> download MP if you dont want it, and just download the patches. I know 3
> friends with 56k modems who never experienced a single problem with a 56k
> modem.

Re-read the OP's post: "...entirely Net-based distribution".

Should publishers move to this form of distribution (and they won't - they
make almost all of their sales through stores such as Game, EB, and mail
delivery companies) then yes - you'll have to pull down 3GB.

Take Steam for what it is - an online software and anti-piracy delivery
mechanism. It bypasses the producers and allows the developer to sell direct
to your desktop (for a larger margin on their part).

Should Steam have actually gone and undercut the producers (ack!), this
could be quite a good way (for gamers) to get the latest releases.

--

Liddle Feesh
*fap fap fap fap*

Liddle Feesh wrote:
> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>>Sadly, systems like STEAM are not only locking out pirates, but also
>>>dial-up
>>>users. I certainly can't pull down 3 gigs over a freaking modem, and
>>>eventually software developers will stop publishing on CD/DVD and move to
>>>an
>>>entirely Net-based distribution...
>>>

>>Sigh. You dont have to pull in 3 gigs. Buy the retail version. Dont
>>download MP if you dont want it, and just download the patches. I know 3
>>friends with 56k modems who never experienced a single problem with a 56k
>>modem.
>

> Re-read the OP's post: "...entirely Net-based distribution".

Ditto. He said this after criticising Steam and then suggesting others
will move to network only.

A small difference in price would be appreciated I agree.

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> EvilBill wrote:
> >
> > Sadly, systems like STEAM are not only locking out pirates, but also
dial-up
> > users. I certainly can't pull down 3 gigs over a freaking modem, and
> > eventually software developers will stop publishing on CD/DVD and move
to an
> > entirely Net-based distribution...
> >

> Sigh. You dont have to pull in 3 gigs. Buy the retail version.

At some point there won't *be* retail versions any more though.

> Dont
> download MP if you dont want it, and just download the patches. I know
> 3 friends with 56k modems who never experienced a single problem with a
> 56k modem.

Do they have an unmetered connection that automatically cuts off every 2
hours though?

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

EvilBill wrote:
> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>EvilBill wrote:
>>
>>>Sadly, systems like STEAM are not only locking out pirates, but also
>
> dial-up
>
>>>users. I certainly can't pull down 3 gigs over a freaking modem, and
>>>eventually software developers will stop publishing on CD/DVD and move
>
> to an
>
>>>entirely Net-based distribution...
>>>

>>Sigh. You dont have to pull in 3 gigs. Buy the retail version.
>

> At some point there won't *be* retail versions any more though.
>

>>Dont
>>download MP if you dont want it, and just download the patches. I know
>>3 friends with 56k modems who never experienced a single problem with a
>>56k modem.
>

> Do they have an unmetered connection that automatically cuts off every 2
> hours though?

Hey Bill.
I can still get all HL2 and Steamed with my 26.4 connection. Same damn
connection I had in the Q1\Q2 days.
I even play CS:S online with it and get "awesome" 200 pings to local
servers.

With HL2\Steam\CS:S you just need patience to wait out the big updates
that come down the pipe whenever.
If you starting from scratch it will be a big update but it's all
doable. Even if you get kicked ever 2 hours. Steam will just continue
where it left off.

HL2 is too good to miss because of poor connections. :)

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

Andrew

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:11:40 -0000, "EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Dont
>> download MP if you dont want it, and just download the patches. I know
>> 3 friends with 56k modems who never experienced a single problem with a
>> 56k modem.
>
>Do they have an unmetered connection that automatically cuts off every 2
>hours though?

That makes no difference.

shawk

Jethro[AGHL] wrote:

> Hey Bill.
> I can still get all HL2 and Steamed with my 26.4 connection. Same damn
> connection I had in the Q1\Q2 days.
> I even play CS:S online with it and get "awesome" 200 pings to local
> servers.
>
> With HL2\Steam\CS:S you just need patience to wait out the big updates
> that come down the pipe whenever.
> If you starting from scratch it will be a big update but it's all
> doable. Even if you get kicked ever 2 hours. Steam will just continue
> where it left off.
>
> HL2 is too good to miss because of poor connections. :)

Friend had HL2 for Xmas. He's on dial up. Advised him to set up a
Steam account, install the game, set off the activation and then go and
watch his other Xmas present (Matrix DVD). He came back to it and
started playing. He did say however that if I hadn't pre-warned him
he'd have been pretty pi$$ed at Valve.

--
"valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably true)"

Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Shawk wrote:

> Friend had HL2 for Xmas. He's on dial up. Advised him to set up a
> Steam account, install the game, set off the activation and then go and
> watch his other Xmas present (Matrix DVD). He came back to it and
> started playing. He did say however that if I hadn't pre-warned him
> he'd have been pretty pi$$ed at Valve.

Yup I had to pre-warn a few people about Steam... spent a bit of time
with a couple of people helping them get HL2 up and running. It's
surprising how many 'dumb' things people do when they don't understand
what Steam is :)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

shawk

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>
>> Friend had HL2 for Xmas. He's on dial up. Advised him to set up a
>> Steam account, install the game, set off the activation and then go
>> and watch his other Xmas present (Matrix DVD). He came back to it and
>> started playing. He did say however that if I hadn't pre-warned him
>> he'd have been pretty pi$$ed at Valve.
>

> Yup I had to pre-warn a few people about Steam... spent a bit of time
> with a couple of people helping them get HL2 up and running. It's
> surprising how many 'dumb' things people do when they don't understand
> what Steam is :)

.... like putting 'www.' at the start of your e-mail address? Saw him do
that while setting up the Steam account and put him straight. Now we
know why he could never send e-mails :) Still... we were all noobs once.

--
how far would valve make you go so you could play hl2?
would you even sell your own mother to play hl2?????

ps: no disrespect to all wonderful mothers around the world but instead
complete despise for brainless gamers wanting to become valve's servants

EvilBill wrote:

> At some point there won't *be* retail versions any more though.

erm.. and whats your point`?

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>
>> Friend had HL2 for Xmas. He's on dial up. Advised him to set up a
>> Steam account, install the game, set off the activation and then go
>> and watch his other Xmas present (Matrix DVD). He came back to it and
>> started playing. He did say however that if I hadn't pre-warned him
>> he'd have been pretty pi$$ed at Valve.
>

> Yup I had to pre-warn a few people about Steam... spent a bit of time
> with a couple of people helping them get HL2 up and running. It's
> surprising how many 'dumb' things people do when they don't understand
> what Steam is :)

A friend a mine (56Ker) was still waiting for his ATI HL2 CD deal. He
had the CD Key but no CD's. Finally when HL2 updated to not needing the
CD I lent him mine and tried to also copy the GCF files so he wouldn't
need the massive updates.

No joy. He still needed the time to update everything. Couple days later
he was good to go.
--

> EvilBill wrote:
> >

> > At some point there won't *be* retail versions any more though.
> >

> erm.. and whats your point`?

That when that happens, people like me, stuck on dial-up forever, won't be
able to play new games any more. (Hell, it's gonna take me three months just
to DL the HL2 *demo*...)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:57:54 -0000, "EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com>
wrote:

>That when that happens, people like me, stuck on dial-up forever, won't be
>able to play new games any more. (Hell, it's gonna take me three months just
>to DL the HL2 *demo*...)

Its about time to upgrade that 2400baud modem then.

EvilBill wrote:
> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>EvilBill wrote:
>>

>>>At some point there won't *be* retail versions any more though.
>>>

>>erm.. and whats your point`?
>

> That when that happens, people like me, stuck on dial-up forever, won't be
> able to play new games any more. (Hell, it's gonna take me three months just
> to DL the HL2 *demo*...)

Speculative guesswork. As ir is, HL2 is available on DVD/CD.

Dial up will be a thing of the past in a few years.

> EvilBill wrote:
> >
> > That when that happens, people like me, stuck on dial-up forever, won't
be
> > able to play new games any more. (Hell, it's gonna take me three months
just
> > to DL the HL2 *demo*...)
>
> Speculative guesswork. As ir is, HL2 is available on DVD/CD.
>
> Dial up will be a thing of the past in a few years.

Not for everyone. Many rural areas will never have broadband.

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:57:54 -0000, "EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >That when that happens, people like me, stuck on dial-up forever, won't
be
> >able to play new games any more. (Hell, it's gonna take me three months
just
> >to DL the HL2 *demo*...)
>
> Its about time to upgrade that 2400baud modem then.

56k, but I'm limited in the time I can be online for various reasons.