Computer Boots up Slowly

AJ

Up until two days ago my computer booted up flawlessly ... under 40 seconds ... including all icons in the taskbar (AntiVirus, Firewall and a few others) and my wireless connection to my router ....

However, without installing any additional software ..... my computer suddenly and unexplainedly started to boot up slowly ...

Everything else is fine and works quickly until my Virus scanner, then Firewall, and then my Wireless connection are supposed to appear in the taskbar .... They usually appeared in this order before ...

Now, everything else appears .... then I wait for about 15 secs for my AntiVirus to appear, another 20 or so for my wireless connection to initialize and then about 5 more for my firewall to start up.

Sometimes it takes up to 45 secs for the three to load up after everything else has finished ...

I'm using the exact same software I used before ... no resource hoggers ... they all used to work perfectly .. I'm at a loss at what might have changed ... Could I have unknowingly changed some settings that have affected wireless initialization .. What settings may affect this?

I tried defragging the hard drive, ran two different Virus scans, ran Adaware and Spybot, and a Registry Cleaner ... I'm at my wits end ...

Any help? And how can I find out which of the three is actually slowing down the process ... It might be that one is affecting the others ... Any logs to consult? I believe that there may be a network delay.

I'm not using 802.1x authentication or WPA .... Just WEP like before the problem began

Me too!

XP is snow low to boot with wirless USB plugged in, fast with it out.

I hope someone can help :)

Paul

All horrible!

No virus, but I suspect the wireless config process is scrambled.

Paul

AJ

It's a kind of a mystery though .... why did it suddenly happen. It was working perfectly before. I don't believe it's a virus .. I've used AVG, and Norton AntiVirus Online scan .... plus both Adaware and Spybot ..

I lent my system to a friend who knows very little about Windows ... Mac User .. he was using it for about an hour when I wasn't there .... and he's not sure if he changed any settings. It is possible that he changed something that is affecting the wireless card this way.

Any suggestion as to what changes I should look out for?

AJ

I believe I found the reason for the network delay. Orginally, when I boot up the computer, Windows is unable to detect the network.

I always thought it did this fine until it recently began acting up. I would see a connection to the router but there'd be no access to the Internet. I realized that Windows upon bootup chooses the wrong IP address 169.254.73.38 - I understand that this range is only chosen when Windows cannot detect it is on a network.

The only way the connection works is after I choose "Repair Connection" under under my Wireless Card in Network Connections ... or I disable and then reenable it.

Another person who I see is having the same problem is under the thread named "169.254.42.248"

Does anyone know how I can resolve this. Can it be a DNS or WINS Server issue. Right now, I'm running behind a router which is set to assign IP addresses automatically using DHCP ...

"AJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I believe I found the reason for the network delay. Orginally, when I boot
up the computer, Windows is unable to detect the network.

> I always thought it did this fine until it recently began acting up. I
would see a connection to the router but there'd be no access to the
Internet. I realized that Windows upon bootup chooses the wrong IP address
169.254.73.38 - I understand that this range is only chosen when Windows
cannot detect it is on a network.

> The only way the connection works is after I choose "Repair Connection"
under under my Wireless Card in Network Connections ... or I disable and
then reenable it.

> Another person who I see is having the same problem is under the thread
named "169.254.42.248"

> Does anyone know how I can resolve this. Can it be a DNS or WINS Server
issue. Right now, I'm running behind a router which is set to assign IP
addresses automatically using DHCP ...

I had this problem as well, I got around the problem by going into the
router settings and under the section of MAC I entered the MAC address of
each PC and laptop on my network. Saved the changes, rebooted the laptop
which had the problem and the laptop was then assigned an IP from the DHCP
automatically and problem was then solved.

Cheers
Karen
--
Remove SPAM to reply karen.morrisSPAM@btinternet.com

AJ

Thanks Karen ..

Unfortunately that's something I had previously done on my home network and the problem is still occuring.

Also, I've had this problem on another network as well ... so it might most likely be some settings that need to be changed locally on my laptop.

Are you using Windows to configure your wireless settings? It seems only people who are doing so are experiencing this problem.

----- Karen Morris wrote: -----

I had this problem as well, I got around the problem by going into the
router settings and under the section of MAC I entered the MAC address of
each PC and laptop on my network. Saved the changes, rebooted the laptop
which had the problem and the laptop was then assigned an IP from the DHCP
automatically and problem was then solved.

Cheers
Karen

AJ

I'd appreciate if someone using DHCP and using Windows to config wireless settings can verify these settings.

Under Network Connections>Wireless Network Connection>Properties>General Tab. Then:

Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)>Properties>General Tab. Are the following selected:

- Obtain IP address automatically,
- Obtain DNS Server address automatically

Under the Alternate Configuration Tab, is the following selected: Automatic Private IP address

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:56:02 -0700, "AJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I'd appreciate if someone using DHCP and using Windows to config wireless settings can verify these settings.
>
>Under Network Connections>Wireless Network Connection>Properties>General Tab. Then:
>
>Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)>Properties>General Tab. Are the following selected:
>
>- Obtain IP address automatically,
>- Obtain DNS Server address automatically
>
>Under the Alternate Configuration Tab, is the following selected: Automatic Private IP address

AJ,

The Alternate Setting using APIPA is quite reasonable, though when invoked it
leaves you with a computer on a different subnet from all the other nearby
computers (though that doesn't matter if lack of connectivity with the router
caused the APIPA use). If everything else is working (though very slowly), I
doubt very much that it is causing your problem.

Have your system evaluated by PCPitStop:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/default.asp

In addition to AdAware and Spybot (and did you update each first?), please try
HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>.
1) Install and run HijackThis. Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
HJT Log. <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
2) Have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the following
forums (and post it, or a link to your forum post, here):
<http://forums.net-integration.net/>
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
<http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>
<http://www.wilderssecurity.com/>