Rad 9700 driver install error

I bought Doom 3 recently, and as I'm sure you're aware, it crashes to
the desktop. I downloaded Cats 4.9 which is supposed to fix this.
However, upon trying the install, the files would extract, then as the
install itself ran, I got the following error message:

Error extracting support files:

I thought this may be a problem with the driver I was trying to
update, so tried to install Cats 4.7, with no success, then tried 4.8,
with similar results. A friend of mine brought a similar issue to my
attention involving the same error message, but with the MMC program.
I tried the answer given in there, removing the ATi Control Panel
along with all the other ATi drivers using Driver Cleaner 3. Upon
rebooting and reinstalling the drivers, nothing but the standard
Windows drivers would work, still giving me the same error message.
Now I am back to the Windows drivers, and no Control Panel, and I
still cannot install any drivers. My system specs are:

P4 2.6ghz
512mb RAM
120gb HDD
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro w/ TV Out
Windows XP Home w/ SP1
DirectX 9.0b
All standard settings, no overclocking or tweaking of any kind

Any help would be much appreciated.

try a repair reinstall of xp.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"StevenTarise" <bennpw@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I bought Doom 3 recently, and as I'm sure you're aware, it crashes to
> the desktop. I downloaded Cats 4.9 which is supposed to fix this.
> However, upon trying the install, the files would extract, then as the
> install itself ran, I got the following error message:
>
> Error extracting support files:

> I thought this may be a problem with the driver I was trying to
> update, so tried to install Cats 4.7, with no success, then tried 4.8,
> with similar results. A friend of mine brought a similar issue to my
> attention involving the same error message, but with the MMC program.
> I tried the answer given in there, removing the ATi Control Panel
> along with all the other ATi drivers using Driver Cleaner 3. Upon
> rebooting and reinstalling the drivers, nothing but the standard
> Windows drivers would work, still giving me the same error message.
> Now I am back to the Windows drivers, and no Control Panel, and I
> still cannot install any drivers. My system specs are:
>
> P4 2.6ghz
> 512mb RAM
> 120gb HDD
> ATi Radeon 9700 Pro w/ TV Out
> Windows XP Home w/ SP1
> DirectX 9.0b
> All standard settings, no overclocking or tweaking of any kind
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"StevenTarise" <bennpw@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I bought Doom 3 recently, and as I'm sure you're aware, it crashes to
> the desktop. I downloaded Cats 4.9 which is supposed to fix this.
> However, upon trying the install, the files would extract, then as the
> install itself ran, I got the following error message:
>
> Error extracting support files:

> I thought this may be a problem with the driver I was trying to
> update, so tried to install Cats 4.7, with no success, then tried 4.8,
> with similar results. A friend of mine brought a similar issue to my
> attention involving the same error message, but with the MMC program.
> I tried the answer given in there, removing the ATi Control Panel
> along with all the other ATi drivers using Driver Cleaner 3. Upon
> rebooting and reinstalling the drivers, nothing but the standard
> Windows drivers would work, still giving me the same error message.
> Now I am back to the Windows drivers, and no Control Panel, and I
> still cannot install any drivers. My system specs are:
>
> P4 2.6ghz
> 512mb RAM
> 120gb HDD
> ATi Radeon 9700 Pro w/ TV Out
> Windows XP Home w/ SP1
> DirectX 9.0b
> All standard settings, no overclocking or tweaking of any kind
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

I read somewhere about the 4.9 betas not being good for AIW cards
and interfering with MMC (can't remember where I read it) so thats youre
problem. Uninstall ALL ATI software including Radlinker, Rage3d etc ....
and use Regcleaner to remove registry entries for these programs then
reboot and install the 4.8s