Sharing a printer on XP Pro.

I'm trying to share my HP Laserjet 1200 printer, but when I set it to Shared,
I get the message "Printer Settings Could Not Be Saved. Operation Could Not
Be Completed." I've tried as both my own account and as Administrator, but
with the same result.
Is there some hidden setting that I am not aware of?
Thanks, to anyone who can help me.
12 answers Last reply
More about sharing printer

    Hi, Jim-

    According to HP (see
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl11038)
    there are three different flavors of the HP Laserjet 1200. Clarification on
    which one you have may or may not be necessary, but I suggest you go to that
    page and read it thoroughly for your particular printer.
    If you are using a Windows driver - rather than the complete driverset as
    provided by HP - apparently full functionality of what is on the Windows CD
    is not available due to the size of the full driverset.
    This may resolve your issues.

    Good luck!

    "Jim Wyse" wrote:

    > I'm trying to share my HP Laserjet 1200 printer, but when I set it to Shared,
    > I get the message "Printer Settings Could Not Be Saved. Operation Could Not
    > Be Completed." I've tried as both my own account and as Administrator, but
    > with the same result.
    > Is there some hidden setting that I am not aware of?
    > Thanks, to anyone who can help me.

    Thanks, Danor,
    I've tried that, bit it made no difference.
    I'm only using the Windows XP drivers, as the HP Install program won't run
    from the CD, but I don't think this can be the problem, can it?
    Isn't it something in XP, that's stopping me from saving the changed
    configuration?
    Jim

    "Danor" wrote:

    > Hi, Jim-
    >
    > According to HP (see
    > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl11038)
    > there are three different flavors of the HP Laserjet 1200. Clarification on
    > which one you have may or may not be necessary, but I suggest you go to that
    > page and read it thoroughly for your particular printer.
    > If you are using a Windows driver - rather than the complete driverset as
    > provided by HP - apparently full functionality of what is on the Windows CD
    > is not available due to the size of the full driverset.
    > This may resolve your issues.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >

    > "Jim Wyse" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to share my HP Laserjet 1200 printer, but when I set it to Shared,
    > > I get the message "Printer Settings Could Not Be Saved. Operation Could Not
    > > Be Completed." I've tried as both my own account and as Administrator, but
    > > with the same result.
    > > Is there some hidden setting that I am not aware of?
    > > Thanks, to anyone who can help me.

    I've just tried to share an HP Deskjet 930C, and got exactly the same result.
    There must be something in my setup of WinXP that's stopping me, but what is
    it?

    "Jim Wyse" wrote:

    > I'm trying to share my HP Laserjet 1200 printer, but when I set it to Shared,
    > I get the message "Printer Settings Could Not Be Saved. Operation Could Not
    > Be Completed." I've tried as both my own account and as Administrator, but
    > with the same result.
    > Is there some hidden setting that I am not aware of?
    > Thanks, to anyone who can help me.

    I've just tried to share an HP Deskjet 930C, and got exactly the same response.
    There must be something in WinXP that's stopping me, but what is it?
    Jim

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 04:33:02 -0800, Jim Wyse wrote:

    > I've just tried to share an HP Deskjet 930C, and got exactly the same response.
    > There must be something in WinXP that's stopping me, but what is it?
    > Jim

    Are you using Home or Professional?

    Do you have simple file sharing enabled or disabled?

    Are you configuring the printer sharing as an Administrator level account?

    I've found that when using limited accounts that in some instances you
    can't even add a printer. The same is true for many settings, unless you
    change the account to Administrator level, make the settings changes, then
    limit the account, you may not be able to set it up.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    XP Pro.
    Yes, I've even tried logging in as Administrator, but it made no difference!

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:15:02 -0800, Jim Wyse wrote:

    > XP Pro.
    > Yes, I've even tried logging in as Administrator, but it made no difference!

    How about this - can you share a folder? Create C:\TEST1, then share it,
    does it let you share it?

    If you can share a folder, but can't share a printer, have you completely
    uninstalled the printer, rebooted, logged in as Administrator, reinstalled
    the printer, and then as Administrator, shared it?

    thx

    > "Leythos" wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 04:33:02 -0800, Jim Wyse wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I've just tried to share an HP Deskjet 930C, and got exactly the same response.
    >> > There must be something in WinXP that's stopping me, but what is it?
    >> > Jim
    >>
    >> Are you using Home or Professional?
    >>
    >> Do you have simple file sharing enabled or disabled?
    >>
    >> Are you configuring the printer sharing as an Administrator level account?
    >>
    >> I've found that when using limited accounts that in some instances you
    >> can't even add a printer. The same is true for many settings, unless you
    >> change the account to Administrator level, make the settings changes, then
    >> limit the account, you may not be able to set it up.
    >>

    >> --
    >> spam999free@rrohio.com
    >> remove 999 in order to email me

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Yeeha! Sorted!

    Would you believe it, File and Printer Sharing wasn't installed!

    Thanks,

    Jim

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:43:07 -0800, Jim Wyse wrote:

    > Yeeha! Sorted!
    >
    > Would you believe it, File and Printer Sharing wasn't installed!
    >
    > Thanks,

    Glad I could help - if you are not behind a NAT device or a Firewall and
    are directly connected to the Internet, you should strongly consider a NAT
    box at the very least. F&PS exposed to a public network is a dangerous way
    to operate.

    > "Leythos" wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:15:02 -0800, Jim Wyse wrote:
    >>
    >> > XP Pro.
    >> > Yes, I've even tried logging in as Administrator, but it made no difference!
    >>
    >> How about this - can you share a folder? Create C:\TEST1, then share it,
    >> does it let you share it?
    >>
    >> If you can share a folder, but can't share a printer, have you completely
    >> uninstalled the printer, rebooted, logged in as Administrator, reinstalled
    >> the printer, and then as Administrator, shared it?
    >>
    >> thx

    >> --
    >> spam999free@rrohio.com
    >> remove 999 in order to email me

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Yes, I know, that's why F&PS wasn't installed in the first place!
    However, I'm behind a NAT Device and a hardware firewall, but I will keep my
    eye on things, all the same1

    Thanks,

    Jim

    "Leythos" wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:43:07 -0800, Jim Wyse wrote:
    >
    > > Yeeha! Sorted!
    > >
    > > Would you believe it, File and Printer Sharing wasn't installed!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    >
    > Glad I could help - if you are not behind a NAT device or a Firewall and
    > are directly connected to the Internet, you should strongly consider a NAT
    > box at the very least. F&PS exposed to a public network is a dangerous way
    > to operate.

    > >> How about this - can you share a folder? Create C:\TEST1, then share it,
    > >> does it let you share it?
    > >>
    > >> If you can share a folder, but can't share a printer, have you completely
    > >> uninstalled the printer, rebooted, logged in as Administrator, reinstalled
    > >> the printer, and then as Administrator, shared it?
    > >>
    > >> thx

    > >> --
    > >> spam999free@rrohio.com
    > >> remove 999 in order to email me
    > >>

    > --
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:09:03 -0800, Jim Wyse wrote:

    > Yes, I know, that's why F&PS wasn't installed in the first place!
    > However, I'm behind a NAT Device and a hardware firewall, but I will keep my
    > eye on things, all the same1

    One more thing - depending on the NAT device, you may be able to use
    WallWatcher - the Linksys line, if you enable LOGS, works really well with
    WW and it will show in real-time the in/out bound traffic by IP/PORT. It
    works with other vendors products, but not as well as the Linksys line.

    http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  12. Quote:

    I'm trying to share my HP Laserjet 1200 printer, but when I set it to Shared,
    I get the message "Printer Settings Could Not Be Saved. Operation Could Not
    Be Completed." I've tried as both my own account and as Administrator, but
    with the same result.
    Is there some hidden setting that I am not aware of?
    Thanks, to anyone who can help me.

Printers Hewlett Packard Windows XP