Difficulties with Belkin USB Videobus II model FSU208

Hi,

This may well be the wrong newsgroup to send this query to but perhaps
someone here can help me...

I don't know whether my video capture device is working properly.
Specifically I wish to use this USB Videobus II to capture a video running
on a VCR. I have connected the VCR to the audio and video phono connectors
using a SCART adapter. Using the supplied MGI Videowave III software (and
having read the manual) I have attempted to capture typically 15 seconds of
video footage but no matter how much I reduce the data rates and size of the
output frame, none of the resulting clips have sound. Is this normal for
this device?

I am an experienced computer user and work as a Computer Technician at a
school so I'm confident that I've used appropriate settings to capture
'something' successfully. I suspect that the device is inappropriate for my
needs - I recall a throw away comment in the manual stating that some USB
devices do not capture sound.

Does anyone here have any experience with this device. If so, I would
greatly appreciate some advice.

Bob
--
_/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
E-Mail :-mailto:bob_leon@lineone.net

    Had same issues with a Pinnacle USB capture device, and the only solution I
    found was to capture the sound via my soundblaster card. I still wasn't
    happy with the results, lots of dropped frames so I went to a cheap DC10 PCI
    capture card and that solved all the issues. I was looking for some
    quallity and it worked well for me.

    "Bob Leon" <bob_leon@lineone.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This may well be the wrong newsgroup to send this query to but perhaps
    > someone here can help me...
    >
    > I don't know whether my video capture device is working properly.
    > Specifically I wish to use this USB Videobus II to capture a video running
    > on a VCR. I have connected the VCR to the audio and video phono connectors
    > using a SCART adapter. Using the supplied MGI Videowave III software (and
    > having read the manual) I have attempted to capture typically 15 seconds
    of
    > video footage but no matter how much I reduce the data rates and size of
    the
    > output frame, none of the resulting clips have sound. Is this normal for
    > this device?
    >
    > I am an experienced computer user and work as a Computer Technician at
    > school so I'm confident that I've used appropriate settings to capture
    > 'something' successfully. I suspect that the device is inappropriate for
    my
    > needs - I recall a throw away comment in the manual stating that some USB
    > devices do not capture sound.
    >
    > Does anyone here have any experience with this device. If so, I would
    > greatly appreciate some advice.
    >
    > Bob
    > --
    > _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
    > E-Mail :-mailto:bob_leon@lineone.net
    > Web Page :-http://website.lineone.net/~bob_leon
    > _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

    Thanks for the response. If I may ask, How do you link the audio phono leads
    to the sound card? This is probably a simplistic question but I have little
    experience of feeding data to a PC. I may have to cut my losses and purchase
    a PCI based capture card. Since there is no fault with the Belkin hardware,
    I can't get a refund - so that's about £60 wasted.

    Bob

    --
    _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
    "Chastiza" <Chastiza@Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    > Had same issues with a Pinnacle USB capture device, and the only solution
    > found was to capture the sound via my soundblaster card. I still wasn't
    > happy with the results, lots of dropped frames so I went to a cheap DC10
    PCI
    > capture card and that solved all the issues. I was looking for some
    > quallity and it worked well for me.
    >
    > "Bob Leon" <bob_leon@lineone.net> wrote in message

    Most all sound cards and on-board sound have the capacity for line level
    input. If you check you should see a symbol with an arrow pointing inwards,
    that is your line in. If your using onboard sound refer to your mobo
    manual. If yours is color coded as it should be in compliance with the atx
    formfactor the color should be blue or aqua. That will be you line in.
    hope that helps.

    > Thanks for the response. If I may ask, How do you link the audio phono
    leads
    > to the sound card? This is probably a simplistic question but I have
    little
    > experience of feeding data to a PC. I may have to cut my losses and
    purchase
    > a PCI based capture card. Since there is no fault with the Belkin
    hardware,
    > I can't get a refund - so that's about £60 wasted.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > --
    > _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
    > E-Mail :-mailto:bob_leon@lineone.net
    > Web Page :-http://website.lineone.net/~bob_leon
    > _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _ / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
    > "Chastiza" <Chastiza@Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    > > Had same issues with a Pinnacle USB capture device, and the only
    solution
    > > found was to capture the sound via my soundblaster card. I still wasn't
    > > happy with the results, lots of dropped frames so I went to a cheap DC10
    > PCI
    > > capture card and that solved all the issues. I was looking for some
    > > quallity and it worked well for me.
    > >
    > > "Bob Leon" <bob_leon@lineone.net> wrote in message

Radeon Graphics