Smart Card Base Components problem on XP

I used to run Win2k on my machine. Last week I upgraded to XP, and
since then my applications that make use of smart cards can no longer
see any smart card readers connected to my machine. I ran the smart
card reader diagnostic tool and it reported the following:

1. Windows XP (Version 5.1, Build 2600), "Service Pack 2"
2. Locale ID: 1c09 (English)
3. Windows Folder: C:\WINNT
4. PC/SC initialised
5. SCardEstablishContext failed. Message: SCARD_E_NO_SERVICE
6. CTAPI initialised
7. SCARD32.DLL loaded
8. CHIPDRIVE driver version: SCardServer V2.14.41
9. The driver is installed correctly.
10. List of found chip card reader(s)
11. 1 devices with CHIPDRIVE SCARD Interface support:
12. CHIPDRIVE extern I USB at COM2 Status: valid PrID: 67/0
13. Card in reader at port COM2 read successfully via SCARD

This occurred even before loading SP2. As you can see in line 5 that
after PC/SC was initialised SCardEstablishContext still failed and
that no smart card manager service could be found. However, when I
check the the services from the control panel, I see that the Smart
Card manager is running. I have also done the "scardsvr reinstall"
command, but to no avail.

Can anyone help me in this regard?

Thanks!
William Dicks

According to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcesecurity5/html/wce50errsmartcarderrorvalues.asp

the error message in your line-item #5 points to the failed running of the
XP Resource Manager service.

A quick search on the MS knowledge-base for "Resource Manager XP" returned a
heap of hardware-specific issues which I just can't know about your situation.
You may want to go to the KnowledgeBase homepage and repeat the search
yourself (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;KBHOWTO)

Let us know what you find out.

"William Dicks" wrote:

> I used to run Win2k on my machine. Last week I upgraded to XP, and
> since then my applications that make use of smart cards can no longer
> see any smart card readers connected to my machine. I ran the smart
> card reader diagnostic tool and it reported the following:
>
> 1. Windows XP (Version 5.1, Build 2600), "Service Pack 2"
> 2. Locale ID: 1c09 (English)
> 3. Windows Folder: C:\WINNT
> 4. PC/SC initialised
> 5. SCardEstablishContext failed. Message: SCARD_E_NO_SERVICE
> 6. CTAPI initialised
> 7. SCARD32.DLL loaded
> 8. CHIPDRIVE driver version: SCardServer V2.14.41
> 9. The driver is installed correctly.
> 10. List of found chip card reader(s)
> 11. 1 devices with CHIPDRIVE SCARD Interface support:
> 12. CHIPDRIVE extern I USB at COM2 Status: valid PrID: 67/0
> 13. Card in reader at port COM2 read successfully via SCARD
>
> This occurred even before loading SP2. As you can see in line 5 that
> after PC/SC was initialised SCardEstablishContext still failed and
> that no smart card manager service could be found. However, when I
> check the the services from the control panel, I see that the Smart
> Card manager is running. I have also done the "scardsvr reinstall"
> command, but to no avail.
>
> Can anyone help me in this regard?
>
> Thanks!
> William Dicks

I have found the perfect knowledge base article that describes my
problem exactly. The article number is 832082. By the time I
discovered this article I had already installed XP SP2, which was
supposed to have solved the problem. However, the problem remained.

There was an explanation at the bottom of the article what to do if
the problem still occurred after loading SP2. I performed that fix as
it was explained. At least, now the Smart Card service starts with no
problem.

However, my smart card apps can all now at least establish a context
but cannot retrieve a list of SC readers. So, in essence I am still
stuck.

William.