components accessing the internet?

bikeme74

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
Hi there!

I have Norton Security/Antivirus 2002 installed on my computer (XP) and sometimes the program tells me, for example, "Win32 is attempting to access the internet," or "microsoft intelliType Pro is attemting to access the internet." My options are to allow them access, block it, etc. I don't want to sound paranoid or anything, but why would my component like my keyboard (Microsoft intelliType pro) be accessing the internet? What for? And where is it accessing to? Is it relaying something to Microsoft? Of course I can block the access, but I'm just curious. Programs like IE, Netscape, ICQ, etc, of course I would allow access, but the keyboard? Your insight is greatly appreciated!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Do you have XP? Firewall?

Anyway, I found <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Win32+is+attempting+to+access+the+internet&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=ad4e01c250d0$b8b00c00$3bef2ecf@TKMSFTNGXA10&rnum=2" target="_new">this</A> on usenet, maybe it applies

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

bikeme74

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
Yes, I have XP and Norton Security Firewall. The article/link was very helpful. Thanks! I was just wondering why certain component such as a keyboard would attempt/want to access the internet.