Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I do a clean install upgrade from Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Hom

Last response: in Windows 7
October 24, 2009 7:58:50 PM

Hi;
I have done an Upgrade Advisor check on my system and I can go to 64 bit OS.
I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit presently and would like to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
I was planning on wiping the drive clean (using Kill Disk) first and then installing the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Is this the right way to do this? I like to wipe my main hard drive regularly and get rid of all the jung (usually try to do this annually) and KillDisk has worked quite well. I need to clean the hard drive anyway and thought it would be worthwhile upgrading the OS at the same time. ;) 
GW
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 24, 2009 8:00:33 PM

Don't get the upgrade version if you're going to wipe out your hard drive first. Get an OEM copy instead. Allows you to do a clean install without the need for an existing Vista install on the hard drive, and it's actually a bit cheaper than the Upgrade media anyway.
m
l
October 24, 2009 8:14:59 PM

it can be done.. don't enter your key at install, one regestry tweak to perform, and one command line to type and you're done.. google is your friend.
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 24, 2009 8:23:01 PM

pat said:
it can be done.. don't enter your key at install, one regestry tweak to perform, and one command line to type and you're done.. google is your friend.

While this is true, it's still safer (and cheaper) to get an OEM copy and do a clean install.
m
l
October 24, 2009 8:25:59 PM

I don't care about everybody else money, but for me, it was definitively worth it.
m
l
October 24, 2009 8:28:12 PM

How and where do I obtain an OEM version of Windows 7??
m
l

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 24, 2009 8:28:38 PM

That's fine, but some people want to go for the cheaper, safer option. The only time upgrade installs make sense is if there is a massive amount of data (typically installed applications) involved that cannot be replaced.

Edit: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - OEM
October 24, 2009 8:51:28 PM

Thanks so much for your help.
m
l
!