Closed

Windows XP Printer Permission "sufficient privileges" prob..

February 28, 2005 2:59:02 PM

I have about 1400 XP boxes on a 2003 AD domain, and every once in a while
when I setup a new PC joined to the domain the user can not connect to a
network printer. They get the "You do not have sufficient privileges to
connect to this device" error. They are not in the local admin group on
their PC, but Everyone has install privileges for printers. If you grant
them local admin rights, they can install the printer and then take away the
rights and they are fine. They can even delete the printer and re-add it
through the UNC path. Also, if an administrator installs the printer, anyone
who uses the PC can then install in on their profile. This has happened on
about 50 of the 1400 PC's, so it is not a huge problem, but it is an
annoyance. If anyone has an idea of why this is happening, I am fresh out of
ideas.
March 3, 2005 2:59:03 PM

I see I have stumped you guys :)

"Brian" wrote:

> I have about 1400 XP boxes on a 2003 AD domain, and every once in a while
> when I setup a new PC joined to the domain the user can not connect to a
> network printer. They get the "You do not have sufficient privileges to
> connect to this device" error. They are not in the local admin group on
> their PC, but Everyone has install privileges for printers. If you grant
> them local admin rights, they can install the printer and then take away the
> rights and they are fine. They can even delete the printer and re-add it
> through the UNC path. Also, if an administrator installs the printer, anyone
> who uses the PC can then install in on their profile. This has happened on
> about 50 of the 1400 PC's, so it is not a huge problem, but it is an
> annoyance. If anyone has an idea of why this is happening, I am fresh out of
> ideas.

March 27, 2009 9:49:39 AM

I have the same problem.
Adding printers used to be no problem, but nowadays random people are complaining about not being able to add their printer.

I checked the file and reg accesses (regmon and filemon), but don't see anything suspicious. Although I do notice that when I manually add the printer with admin rights, it gets the full domain behind it's name (other printers just have their name there) and no comment (that is set when the printer came into production). Maybe it has something to do with the WINS server?

Other people can add this printer without any problems.

Did you find a solution yet? Please post here if you did.
June 9, 2011 1:28:22 PM

I havent figured out a solution to the actuall problem, but i used a work around till i can find the solution. I just added a locally networked printer to the computer just so they can print. but i'm having the same problem and it seems to be spreading. AND its only on this 1 new printer i added to the print server. i gave it all the same security groups that the other printers and it just doesnt want to work. I cant believe there hasnt been a solution yet, but i need help now too.
June 9, 2011 1:36:27 PM

Well this appears to be somewhat of a problem considering this thread has 12000+ views.

Im going to dig into this since someone somewhere needs this resolved. Even though you're looking at ~3.5% failure rate.
June 24, 2011 2:32:06 PM

We have a similar issue here, but it has "travelled" with the printer migrations from a 2003 to a 2008 printer server. Intermittent XP users will get the "
don't have sufficient privileges" messages. What I do then is go to the printer server, right-click the printer, go to properties, and the Advance tab. On the Advanced tab I simply pick a different driver, click Apply, then choose the original driver and click Apply. Then the users can add the printer again. I wish I understood what was awry on the workstation as I suspect it's something there.
December 5, 2011 3:10:46 AM

I too am beginning to have this issue. Happens randomly. Server 2008 for print servers, workstations are XP SP3. Users report being able to print to the machine just prior to the issue, then suddenly they are unable (and trying to re-add the printer spawns this error)

Don't know what the cause is but rebooting the printer worked for me in one instance.

-JTUSON
January 27, 2012 1:09:40 AM

I do tech support for a defense contractor and I added a donated printer to the server and had two people install it. One got the permission error mentioned here while one went on successfully and printed a test page. I sent the ticket to a Level 2 tech who came back and said it was a disk space issue. The PCs there only have 20GB of storage and are often used by multiple people. So please check the disk space on the workstations in question and post your results here!
March 11, 2013 12:33:03 PM

wanamingo said:
Well this appears to be somewhat of a problem considering this thread has 12000+ views.

Im going to dig into this since someone somewhere needs this resolved. Even though you're looking at ~3.5% failure rate.

I had this issue, and solved it by explicitly sharing the spool folder (C:/Windows/System32/spool/) with all permissions granted) on the computer with the printer physically attached, and then rebooting both. This may not be the most secure solution, but it worked.
!