9800pro 128mb and linux redhat

I am running this under vmware just to complicate matters...my envirnment is
gnome, i think..all i can use is the vesa driver...what can i use that works
better....i downloaded the latest frebsd from ati but it crashes x
server...i am a complete linux noob so please use small words :-)

i took me a while to figure out that a .pl was an exe file....

Help
Steve
2 answers Last reply
More about 9800pro 128mb linux redhat

    Which linux distro are you using - RedHat, Slackware, Debian, Huh??

    Gnome is just an application set - has no significance in your post.

    Whether or not a file is executable in UNIX/Linux has nothing to do with the
    file's extension. There is nothing inherently executable about the extension
    ..pl. What DOES determine whether a file is executable or not is a
    combination of the file's "executable" attribute in the file system and
    whether or not the file is a shell script and or conforms to the Linux
    Binary executable specification (ELF).

    Basically, you could have a file called "blahblah.cheesecakes". as long as
    the file has an executable attribute on it (chmod +x) it will work like a
    windows .exe.

    You can download the appropriate 9800 Linux driver per X server version from
    here

    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html?type=linux&prodType=graphic&prod=productsLINUXdriver&submit.x=15&submit.y=4

    After that.............. ah, just fool around with it. You'll get it
    eventually.

    --
    Tony DiMarzio
    djtone81@hotmail.com

    Tony DiMarzio wrote:
    > Which linux distro are you using - RedHat, Slackware, Debian, Huh??
    >
    > Gnome is just an application set - has no significance in your post.
    >
    > Whether or not a file is executable in UNIX/Linux has nothing to do with the
    > file's extension. There is nothing inherently executable about the extension
    > .pl. What DOES determine whether a file is executable or not is a
    > combination of the file's "executable" attribute in the file system and
    > whether or not the file is a shell script and or conforms to the Linux
    > Binary executable specification (ELF).
    >
    > Basically, you could have a file called "blahblah.cheesecakes". as long as
    > the file has an executable attribute on it (chmod +x) it will work like a
    > windows .exe.
    >
    > You can download the appropriate 9800 Linux driver per X server version from
    > here
    >
    > http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html?type=linux&prodType=graphic&prod=productsLINUXdriver&submit.x=15&submit.y=4
    >
    > After that.............. ah, just fool around with it. You'll get it
    > eventually.

    Didn't the original poster state that he was running linux in a VMWare
    session? If so downloading and installing the ATI linux driver won't do
    any good as the virtual video card that VMWare provides is a basic VESA
    compatible card, hence why he can only get VESA driver working.

    If he wants to utilise the full native capabilities of his card the best
    thing to do would be to create some space on the hard drive for a new
    dedicated partition or alternatively, buy another decent sized hard
    drive (an 80GB drive these days is only £60) and install linux directly
    onto the available partition/drive.

    This will then allow linux to recognise all of the available physical
    hardware in the machine including the 9800pro. Now if you download the
    Linux driver from ATI's website and fool around with it, you'll
    eventually get it working with full hardware support.

    The Alternative is to use a VMWare supported version of Linux, i.e.
    Redhat, Mandrake, Suse etc and follow the instructions for installing
    linux (usually involves using the text only installer, not the graphical
    installer) and once linux is installed, then installing the VMWare Tools
    package which installs the VMWare X Server and mouse/keyboard support.

    Note regarding VMWare: VMware provides you with a virtual machine
    environment that you can use to run any kind of X86 compatible OS. What
    it *does not* do is provide each native virtual machine with an exact
    copy of your hardware. In other words each VM *does not* have it's own
    9800pro to play with.

    VMWare uses known hardware emulation for various devices which may exist
    on your phsyical machine. For example your physical machine may have a
    3Com Gigabit Ethernet NIC but each of your Virtual Machines uses an AMD
    PCNET Family PCI NIC. In the same way your physical PC has an ATI 9800
    Pro in it each of your virtual machines have a VMWare SVGA II video
    adaptor (in my VMWare V4.5 it's a VMWare SVGA II anyway).

    --
    JasonB

    To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder

Radeon ATI Linux Graphics