User Accounts Applet

a b 8 Security
February 28, 2005 5:29:08 PM

I am trying to access the user accounts applet in safe mode to modify
forgotten passwords. Here is the hitch, when clicking user accounts: error
pops up stating: The system cannot find the file specified.
Any ideas out there. I can open the applet (user accounts) it's just blank.

Thanks in advance!

More about : user accounts applet

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 2:15:36 PM

Hi,

What happens when you run the mshta.exe file present in this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\

If Notepad opens when you open mshta.exe, it may be caused by a security
software that you've installed, in a attempt to block the HTA scripts
running in your system. Extracting a new copy of mshta.exe should help.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to access the user accounts applet in safe mode to modify
> forgotten passwords. Here is the hitch, when clicking user accounts: error
> pops up stating: The system cannot find the file specified.
> Any ideas out there. I can open the applet (user accounts) it's just
> blank.
>
> Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 2:15:37 PM

Nothing happens when running that exe. I even tried running in a dos prompt
to see if what doing anything. Nothing. Thanks for writing back, any other
ideas?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What happens when you run the mshta.exe file present in this folder:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\
>
> If Notepad opens when you open mshta.exe, it may be caused by a security
> software that you've installed, in a attempt to block the HTA scripts
> running in your system. Extracting a new copy of mshta.exe should help.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to access the user accounts applet in safe mode to modify
> > forgotten passwords. Here is the hitch, when clicking user accounts: error
> > pops up stating: The system cannot find the file specified.
> > Any ideas out there. I can open the applet (user accounts) it's just
> > blank.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 2:15:38 PM

I ran the command as typed and a blank window popped up. Nothing else. I also
tried to register the below mentioned files. Problem with nusmgr.cpl. Message
is loadlibrary (nusmgr.cpl)failed the specified module could not be found.
The nusmgr.cpl is located in the c:\windows\system32 folder.

"steiners" wrote:

> Nothing happens when running that exe. I even tried running in a dos prompt
> to see if what doing anything. Nothing. Thanks for writing back, any other
> ideas?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What happens when you run the mshta.exe file present in this folder:
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\
> >
> > If Notepad opens when you open mshta.exe, it may be caused by a security
> > software that you've installed, in a attempt to block the HTA scripts
> > running in your system. Extracting a new copy of mshta.exe should help.
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >

> > "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am trying to access the user accounts applet in safe mode to modify
> > > forgotten passwords. Here is the hitch, when clicking user accounts: error
> > > pops up stating: The system cannot find the file specified.
> > > Any ideas out there. I can open the applet (user accounts) it's just
> > > blank.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 10:32:32 PM

steiners,

Can you check the mshta.exe file Properties: It should read "Microsoft (R)
HTML Application host" in the Version tab. Another thing is to verify the
..HTA association in the registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.hta
Set the (default) value to "htafile" without quotes.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\Shell\Open\Command
Set the (default) value to C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshta.exe "%1" %*

--

> Nothing happens when running that exe. I even tried running in a dos
> prompt
> to see if what doing anything. Nothing. Thanks for writing back, any other
> ideas?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What happens when you run the mshta.exe file present in this folder:
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\
>>
>> If Notepad opens when you open mshta.exe, it may be caused by a security
>> software that you've installed, in a attempt to block the HTA scripts
>> running in your system. Extracting a new copy of mshta.exe should help.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to access the user accounts applet in safe mode to modify
>> > forgotten passwords. Here is the hitch, when clicking user accounts:
>> > error
>> > pops up stating: The system cannot find the file specified.
>> > Any ideas out there. I can open the applet (user accounts) it's just
>> > blank.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 10:32:33 PM

Thanks again for your reply, All appears as you listed it. Under user
profiles i have an account listed as account unknown. I have scanned this
machine for virus type activity from a command prompt and it found nothing.
This is home edition, with SP2. I'm trying to avoid re-installing XP.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> steiners,
>
> Can you check the mshta.exe file Properties: It should read "Microsoft (R)
> HTML Application host" in the Version tab. Another thing is to verify the
> ..HTA association in the registry:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.hta
> Set the (default) value to "htafile" without quotes.
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\Shell\Open\Command
> Set the (default) value to C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshta.exe "%1" %*
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Nothing happens when running that exe. I even tried running in a dos
> > prompt
> > to see if what doing anything. Nothing. Thanks for writing back, any other
> > ideas?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What happens when you run the mshta.exe file present in this folder:
> >>
> >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\
> >>
> >> If Notepad opens when you open mshta.exe, it may be caused by a security
> >> software that you've installed, in a attempt to block the HTA scripts
> >> running in your system. Extracting a new copy of mshta.exe should help.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 11:54:35 PM

steiners,

This is the command-line for opening the User Accounts applet:

mshta.exe "res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\nusrmgr.cpl/nusrmgr.hta"

Even if that does not help, see if registering these DLLs fixes it. Type in
Start/Run:

regsvr32 /i mshtml
regsvr32 /i nusrmgr.cpl
regsvr32 jscript

--

> Thanks again for your reply, All appears as you listed it. Under user
> profiles i have an account listed as account unknown. I have scanned this
> machine for virus type activity from a command prompt and it found
> nothing.
> This is home edition, with SP2. I'm trying to avoid re-installing XP.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> steiners,
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 2, 2005 2:26:49 PM

>> (nusmgr.cpl)failed the specified module could not be found.

It's nusrmgr.cpl

If that does not help, can you send a screenshot to my email (ramesh @ mvps
.. org) how the user accounts applet looks like?
--

!