User Accounts Applet

I am trying to access the user accounts applet in safe mode to modify
forgotten passwords. Here is the hitch, when clicking user accounts: error
pops up stating: The system cannot find the file specified.
Any ideas out there. I can open the applet (user accounts) it's just blank.

Thanks in advance!
7 answers Last reply
More about user accounts applet

    Hi,

    What happens when you run the mshta.exe file present in this folder:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\

    If Notepad opens when you open mshta.exe, it may be caused by a security
    software that you've installed, in a attempt to block the HTA scripts
    running in your system. Extracting a new copy of mshta.exe should help.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to access the user accounts applet in safe mode to modify
    > forgotten passwords. Here is the hitch, when clicking user accounts: error
    > pops up stating: The system cannot find the file specified.
    > Any ideas out there. I can open the applet (user accounts) it's just
    > blank.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Nothing happens when running that exe. I even tried running in a dos prompt
    to see if what doing anything. Nothing. Thanks for writing back, any other
    ideas?

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What happens when you run the mshta.exe file present in this folder:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\
    >
    > If Notepad opens when you open mshta.exe, it may be caused by a security
    > software that you've installed, in a attempt to block the HTA scripts
    > running in your system. Extracting a new copy of mshta.exe should help.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to access the user accounts applet in safe mode to modify
    > > forgotten passwords. Here is the hitch, when clicking user accounts: error
    > > pops up stating: The system cannot find the file specified.
    > > Any ideas out there. I can open the applet (user accounts) it's just
    > > blank.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!

    I ran the command as typed and a blank window popped up. Nothing else. I also
    tried to register the below mentioned files. Problem with nusmgr.cpl. Message
    is loadlibrary (nusmgr.cpl)failed the specified module could not be found.
    The nusmgr.cpl is located in the c:\windows\system32 folder.

    "steiners" wrote:

    > Nothing happens when running that exe. I even tried running in a dos prompt
    > to see if what doing anything. Nothing. Thanks for writing back, any other
    > ideas?
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > What happens when you run the mshta.exe file present in this folder:
    > >
    > > C:\WINDOWS\system32\
    > >
    > > If Notepad opens when you open mshta.exe, it may be caused by a security
    > > software that you've installed, in a attempt to block the HTA scripts
    > > running in your system. Extracting a new copy of mshta.exe should help.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >

    > > "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I am trying to access the user accounts applet in safe mode to modify
    > > > forgotten passwords. Here is the hitch, when clicking user accounts: error
    > > > pops up stating: The system cannot find the file specified.
    > > > Any ideas out there. I can open the applet (user accounts) it's just
    > > > blank.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance!

    steiners,

    Can you check the mshta.exe file Properties: It should read "Microsoft (R)
    HTML Application host" in the Version tab. Another thing is to verify the
    ..HTA association in the registry:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.hta
    Set the (default) value to "htafile" without quotes.

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\Shell\Open\Command
    Set the (default) value to C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshta.exe "%1" %*

    --

    > Nothing happens when running that exe. I even tried running in a dos
    > prompt
    > to see if what doing anything. Nothing. Thanks for writing back, any other
    > ideas?
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> What happens when you run the mshta.exe file present in this folder:
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\
    >>
    >> If Notepad opens when you open mshta.exe, it may be caused by a security
    >> software that you've installed, in a attempt to block the HTA scripts
    >> running in your system. Extracting a new copy of mshta.exe should help.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to access the user accounts applet in safe mode to modify
    >> > forgotten passwords. Here is the hitch, when clicking user accounts:
    >> > error
    >> > pops up stating: The system cannot find the file specified.
    >> > Any ideas out there. I can open the applet (user accounts) it's just
    >> > blank.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance!

    Thanks again for your reply, All appears as you listed it. Under user
    profiles i have an account listed as account unknown. I have scanned this
    machine for virus type activity from a command prompt and it found nothing.
    This is home edition, with SP2. I'm trying to avoid re-installing XP.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > steiners,
    >
    > Can you check the mshta.exe file Properties: It should read "Microsoft (R)
    > HTML Application host" in the Version tab. Another thing is to verify the
    > ..HTA association in the registry:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.hta
    > Set the (default) value to "htafile" without quotes.
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\Shell\Open\Command
    > Set the (default) value to C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshta.exe "%1" %*
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Nothing happens when running that exe. I even tried running in a dos
    > > prompt
    > > to see if what doing anything. Nothing. Thanks for writing back, any other
    > > ideas?
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> What happens when you run the mshta.exe file present in this folder:
    > >>
    > >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\
    > >>
    > >> If Notepad opens when you open mshta.exe, it may be caused by a security
    > >> software that you've installed, in a attempt to block the HTA scripts
    > >> running in your system. Extracting a new copy of mshta.exe should help.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "steiners" <steiners@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    steiners,

    This is the command-line for opening the User Accounts applet:

    mshta.exe "res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\nusrmgr.cpl/nusrmgr.hta"

    Even if that does not help, see if registering these DLLs fixes it. Type in
    Start/Run:

    regsvr32 /i mshtml
    regsvr32 /i nusrmgr.cpl
    regsvr32 jscript

    --

    > Thanks again for your reply, All appears as you listed it. Under user
    > profiles i have an account listed as account unknown. I have scanned this
    > machine for virus type activity from a command prompt and it found
    > nothing.
    > This is home edition, with SP2. I'm trying to avoid re-installing XP.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> steiners,

    >> (nusmgr.cpl)failed the specified module could not be found.

    It's nusrmgr.cpl

    If that does not help, can you send a screenshot to my email (ramesh @ mvps
    .. org) how the user accounts applet looks like?
    --

    >I ran the command as typed and a blank window popped up. Nothing else. I
    >also
    > tried to register the below mentioned files. Problem with nusmgr.cpl.
    > Message
    > is loadlibrary (nusmgr.cpl)failed the specified module could not be found.
    > The nusmgr.cpl is located in the c:\windows\system32 folder.

Security Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP