xp crashes & ms windows antispyware

February 28, 2005 7:29:11 PM

My wife installed Windows Antispyware today. I was not home at the time so I
only have sketchy info on what she was specifically done. She ran the
antispyware app & removed (via the antispyware dialog) the files it
identified. That's about all I know. At this point my Windows XP home
desktop boots but shuts itself down shortly after. I booted in safe mode,
and got the same results. I booted to "last know good config" same results.
Looks like a bad interaction between McAfee & MS Antispyware. Not being
there when the "deed was done" I do not know what was actually removed. The
error messages & dialog boxes I am seeing are:
1 - "McAfee VirusScan: an error occured while initializing ActiveShield.
Your system may be running low on resources or disk space. Please close
other applications and try restarting ActiveShield"
- task manager shows a normal looking spike in CPU usage during startup
that goes back down once most apps have launched & over 500 MB phys memory
available. During the CPU spike mpftray.exe is a big user, so McAfee is
trying to do something.
shortly after that I see the following message:
2 - "System Shutdown: The system is shutting down.... Message: Windows
must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service terminiated
unexpectedly"

Did Antispyware only partially uninstall something that is still trying to
RPC out of the machine? The desktop won't stay up long enough for me to
shutdown McAfee or MS Antispyware. Right now I have a broken machine.
Please advise.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:56:20 AM

apolicas wrote:
> My wife installed Windows Antispyware today. I was not home at the
> time so I only have sketchy info on what she was specifically done.
> She ran the antispyware app & removed (via the antispyware dialog)
> the files it identified. That's about all I know. At this point my
> Windows XP home desktop boots but shuts itself down shortly after. I
> booted in safe mode, and got the same results. I booted to "last
> know good config" same results. Looks like a bad interaction between
> McAfee & MS Antispyware. Not being there when the "deed was done" I
> do not know what was actually removed. The error messages & dialog
> boxes I am seeing are: 1 - "McAfee VirusScan: an error occured while
> initializing ActiveShield. Your system may be running low on
> resources or disk space. Please close other applications and try
> restarting ActiveShield" - task manager shows a normal looking
> spike in CPU usage during startup
> that goes back down once most apps have launched & over 500 MB phys
> memory available. During the CPU spike mpftray.exe is a big user, so
> McAfee is trying to do something.
> shortly after that I see the following message:
> 2 - "System Shutdown: The system is shutting down.... Message:
> Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> Service terminiated unexpectedly"
>
> Did Antispyware only partially uninstall something that is still
> trying to RPC out of the machine? The desktop won't stay up long
> enough for me to shutdown McAfee or MS Antispyware. Right now I have
> a broken machine. Please advise.

Use system restore and restore to a point before the issue was noticed.

--
<- Shenan ->
March 1, 2005 6:27:02 AM

Another aspect which *may* be envolved:
What kind of account did your wife log into when she installed the spyware
software? If it wasn't an administrator level account, that will explain why
it only partially works or not completely works.

After you do the System restore, reinstall BOTH your AntiVirus and
AntiSpyware software as an Administrator;
Turn OFF System restore;
Reboot into Safe Mode and rescan your entire computer with both the
AntiVirus and Spyware scanners;
Clean all infections as directed;
Reboot into Normal mode and turn System restore back on.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> apolicas wrote:
> > My wife installed Windows Antispyware today. I was not home at the
> > time so I only have sketchy info on what she was specifically done.
> > She ran the antispyware app & removed (via the antispyware dialog)
> > the files it identified. That's about all I know. At this point my
> > Windows XP home desktop boots but shuts itself down shortly after. I
> > booted in safe mode, and got the same results. I booted to "last
> > know good config" same results. Looks like a bad interaction between
> > McAfee & MS Antispyware. Not being there when the "deed was done" I
> > do not know what was actually removed. The error messages & dialog
> > boxes I am seeing are: 1 - "McAfee VirusScan: an error occured while
> > initializing ActiveShield. Your system may be running low on
> > resources or disk space. Please close other applications and try
> > restarting ActiveShield" - task manager shows a normal looking
> > spike in CPU usage during startup
> > that goes back down once most apps have launched & over 500 MB phys
> > memory available. During the CPU spike mpftray.exe is a big user, so
> > McAfee is trying to do something.
> > shortly after that I see the following message:
> > 2 - "System Shutdown: The system is shutting down.... Message:
> > Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> > Service terminiated unexpectedly"
> >
> > Did Antispyware only partially uninstall something that is still
> > trying to RPC out of the machine? The desktop won't stay up long
> > enough for me to shutdown McAfee or MS Antispyware. Right now I have
> > a broken machine. Please advise.
>
> Use system restore and restore to a point before the issue was noticed.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

March 28, 2005 12:21:02 AM

"apolicas" wrote:

> My wife installed Windows Antispyware today. I was not home at the time so I
> only have sketchy info on what she was specifically done. She ran the
> antispyware app & removed (via the antispyware dialog) the files it
> identified. That's about all I know. At this point my Windows XP home
> desktop boots but shuts itself down shortly after. I booted in safe mode,
> and got the same results. I booted to "last know good config" same results.
> Looks like a bad interaction between McAfee & MS Antispyware. Not being
> there when the "deed was done" I do not know what was actually removed. The
> error messages & dialog boxes I am seeing are:
> 1 - "McAfee VirusScan: an error occured while initializing ActiveShield.
> Your system may be running low on resources or disk space. Please close
> other applications and try restarting ActiveShield"
> - task manager shows a normal looking spike in CPU usage during startup
> that goes back down once most apps have launched & over 500 MB phys memory
> available. During the CPU spike mpftray.exe is a big user, so McAfee is
> trying to do something.
> shortly after that I see the following message:
> 2 - "System Shutdown: The system is shutting down.... Message: Windows
> must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service terminiated
> unexpectedly"
>
> Did Antispyware only partially uninstall something that is still trying to
> RPC out of the machine? The desktop won't stay up long enough for me to
> shutdown McAfee or MS Antispyware. Right now I have a broken machine.
> Please advise.
>
> I just had the same problem and I cannot get the computer to stay on long enough to uninstall the program. I cannot even get to the control panel. I have hit f8 and gone to the the startup that says start at the last good configuration and it doesn't work. Please advise me. Thank you.

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:51:02 AM

"fastman4" wrote:

> "apolicas" wrote:
>
> > My wife installed Windows Antispyware today. I was not home at the time so I
> > only have sketchy info on what she was specifically done. She ran the
> > antispyware app & removed (via the antispyware dialog) the files it
> > identified. That's about all I know. At this point my Windows XP home
> > desktop boots but shuts itself down shortly after. I booted in safe mode,
> > and got the same results. I booted to "last know good config" same results.
> > Looks like a bad interaction between McAfee & MS Antispyware. Not being
> > there when the "deed was done" I do not know what was actually removed. The
> > error messages & dialog boxes I am seeing are:
> > 1 - "McAfee VirusScan: an error occured while initializing ActiveShield.
> > Your system may be running low on resources or disk space. Please close
> > other applications and try restarting ActiveShield"
> > - task manager shows a normal looking spike in CPU usage during startup
> > that goes back down once most apps have launched & over 500 MB phys memory
> > available. During the CPU spike mpftray.exe is a big user, so McAfee is
> > trying to do something.
> > shortly after that I see the following message:
> > 2 - "System Shutdown: The system is shutting down.... Message: Windows
> > must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service terminiated
> > unexpectedly"
> >
> > Did Antispyware only partially uninstall something that is still trying to
> > RPC out of the machine? The desktop won't stay up long enough for me to
> > shutdown McAfee or MS Antispyware. Right now I have a broken machine.
> > Please advise.
> >
> > I just had the same problem and I cannot get the computer to stay on long enough to uninstall the program. I cannot even get to the control panel. I have hit f8 and gone to the the startup that says start at the last good configuration and it doesn't work. Please advise me. Thank you.
> > the screen also shows that there is a critical error 101 in the microsoft spyware.

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 9:31:06 AM

!