I am Back and Doom 3 is really a flop

the more I play it and give it a try the more it is really a disappointment
I fell cheated I per ordered this a year in advance
it really is a joke
on a comparison quake 3 is 100% better game play

--
killin@u.com

FatDaddy left a note on my windscreen which said:

> the more I play it and give it a try the more it is really a disappointment
> I fell cheated I per ordered this a year in advance
> it really is a joke
> on a comparison quake 3 is 100% better game play

Call it a lesson for the future - don't be naive enough to buy a game
you have no idea if you'll like or not.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

redd

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

Soooo....you bought a game sight unseen 12+ months before completion ,review
or demo, played it, didn't like it, and I should take your critique and
advice seriuosly?

Were you one of those people that thought he or she could buy now with the
hopes the he or she could double there money when the game finaly hit the
shelfs?

What does Quake3 have to do with anything?
Have you ever played Doom?

hey doc it hurts when i move my arm like this!
Well, don't move your arm like that and pay your bill on the way out!!!!
"FatDaddy" <KillinU@worm.com> wrote in message
> the more I play it and give it a try the more it is really a
> disappointment
> I fell cheated I per ordered this a year in advance
> it really is a joke
> on a comparison quake 3 is 100% better game play
>
> --
> killin@u.com

"FatDaddy" <KillinU@worm.com> wrote in message
> the more I play it and give it a try the more it is really a
disappointment
> I fell cheated I per ordered this a year in advance
> it really is a joke
> on a comparison quake 3 is 100% better game play

Are you posting a new thread yet again to say these sorts of things? :)

My take is this...although you're entitled to your point of view, I have to
disagree with your assessment of Doom 3. At the same time, I also disagree
with PC Gamer giving it a 94% rating. Personally, factoring in graphics,
sound and gameplay, I'd rate Doom 3 around 82% overall (I finished it last
week). The gameplay itself would get 77% from me.

The darkness of Doom 3 didn't actually bother me. I think the biggest
problem facing Doom 3 is that it came out too soon from a technology
standpoint. This forced John Carmack & company to re-think their approach
and this is probably why they came out and said that Doom 3 would be a
"re-telling" of the story. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that if
the game was brighter in appearance (where more detail is visible and more
rendering has to be done) and if they loaded it up with a lot of enemies
like you often saw in the original two Doom games, only the best of today's
hardware would have been able to handle it. Instead of saying that you only
need a 1.5GHz system with a GeForce4 MX as the minimum, they may have had to
bump it up to a 2.5GHz processor with a mid-range DirectX 9 video card as
the minimum. Of course, that would kill sales.

That said, I still enjoyed Doom 3. The gameplay was fairly predictable, but
I honestly enjoyed my time with it. That said, it would be great to see the
original two Doom games re-made at some future point with this new graphics
engine.

Still, even if Doom 3 couldn't possibly deliver on all of the pre-release
hype it got (what game could?), I can understand the feeling of being ripped
off if an anticipated game doesn't satisfy you. That's what happened to me
with Age of Mythology. I really liked the Age of Empires games and thought
for sure that I would feel the same about Age of Mythology. I was wrong.
Even worse, I bought the Collector's Edition of Age of Myhology a couple of
weeks after it was released and paid $100 CDN for it. I felt ripped off and
I let Ensemble Studios know about it too. Not that they really care since
it sold boatloads of copies, but I was sure to tell them (twice if I
recall). Sure it's great to have bought the serial numbered Collector's box
with the extra goodies thrown in, but I can't help having mixed feelings
about it. I almost came to the point of mailing it to them refund or not.

>It's not the best game in the world, but it's definitely not as bad as you
>make it out to be.
But it IS priced like the best game in the world would have been.

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"FatDaddy" <KillinU@worm.com> wrote in message
> the more I play it and give it a try the more it is really a
disappointment
> I fell cheated I per ordered this a year in advance
> it really is a joke
> on a comparison quake 3 is 100% better game play

I agree. The sad part is, I don't even rate the graphics much. I think Far
Cry is much better and HL2 seems to be in a different league altogether. D3
was all hype I think.

Chip

thanks for seeing it my way

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
> "FatDaddy" <KillinU@worm.com> wrote in message
> > the more I play it and give it a try the more it is really a
> disappointment
> > I fell cheated I per ordered this a year in advance
> > it really is a joke
> > on a comparison quake 3 is 100% better game play
>
> I agree. The sad part is, I don't even rate the graphics much. I think
Far
> Cry is much better and HL2 seems to be in a different league altogether.
D3
> was all hype I think.
>
> Chip

> on a comparison quake 3 is 100% better game play

That's rich. Are you trying to say that Q3 was/is a better game than Doom3?
Of course if you like a game or not is a very complicated process you cannot
always explain but I really cannot imagine why anyone ever was so fond of
Q3. Maybe it was the multiplayer part that I don't care for, but at about
the same time UT was released and _everything_ in that game was better than
Q3 - and the most important thing it was more fun. In fact Q3 is the only iD
game that I ever regreted to buy. Maybe you feel the same way about Doom3
but than on the other hand why do you like Q3 but hate Doom3? You can't
really compare a single against a multiplayer game for its "game play".
Besides what game play do you mean?

Chris

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote
> I agree. The sad part is, I don't even rate the graphics much. I think
> Far
> Cry is much better and HL2 seems to be in a different league altogether.
> D3 was all hype I think.

*laughs* And what in earth HL2 is, then? Don't be too
disappointed if it lets you down too like D3 when it's
released :)

People are like worshipping HL2 and thinking it as a god
of all 3D-shooters or something, that's really funny. But in
my opinion it has already aged graphics etc. Especially
what comes to all claims about non-scripted events, that
most certainly means that the game is heavily scripted :)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:03:31 -0400, "FatDaddy" <KillinU@worm.com>
wrote:

>on a comparison quake 3 is 100% better game play

Bollocks! Q3 has no SP game in it.

Aki Peltola left a note on my windscreen which said:

> People are like worshipping HL2 and thinking it as a god
> of all 3D-shooters or something, that's really funny. But in
> my opinion it has already aged graphics etc. Especially
> what comes to all claims about non-scripted events, that
> most certainly means that the game is heavily scripted :)

It seems any big name game on release get's slated to hell and back
(excuse the pun).

You will see exactly the same heavy critisism of HL2 when that get's
released too. It seems people get it into their head that a certain
upcoming release is going to be the second coming or something.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Aki Peltola left a note on my windscreen which said:
>

> You will see exactly the same heavy critisism of HL2 when that get's
> released too.

I doubt it... I've played the pre-alpha and HL2 is amazing! Plus it has
huge, brightly lit outdoor areas, so nobody is going to have anything to
complain about. <g>

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Aki Peltola left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
> > People are like worshipping HL2 and thinking it as a god
> > of all 3D-shooters or something, that's really funny. But in
> > my opinion it has already aged graphics etc. Especially
> > what comes to all claims about non-scripted events, that
> > most certainly means that the game is heavily scripted :)
>
> It seems any big name game on release get's slated to hell and back
> (excuse the pun).
>
> You will see exactly the same heavy critisism of HL2 when that get's
> released too. It seems people get it into their head that a certain
> upcoming release is going to be the second coming or something.

Have you seen the HL2 videos? It **is** the second coming!

Chip

"maggot" <maggot@no.email> wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:03:31 -0400, "FatDaddy" <KillinU@worm.com>
> wrote:
> >on a comparison quake 3 is 100% better game play
>
> Bollocks! Q3 has no SP game in it.

?? SP = Single Player??

I play all the time against the bots... May not be the most challenging, but
it's still fun!

> > > People are like worshipping HL2 and thinking it as a god
> > > of all 3D-shooters or something, that's really funny. But in
> > > my opinion it has already aged graphics etc. Especially
> > > what comes to all claims about non-scripted events, that
> > > most certainly means that the game is heavily scripted :)
> >
> > It seems any big name game on release get's slated to hell and back
> > (excuse the pun).
> >
> > You will see exactly the same heavy critisism of HL2 when that get's
> > released too. It seems people get it into their head that a certain
> > upcoming release is going to be the second coming or something.
>
> Have you seen the HL2 videos? It **is** the second coming!

I dunno.... The Doom3 video's were pretty impressive. I'm not impressed with
the game.

Enormous Genitals left a note on my windscreen which said:

> > You will see exactly the same heavy critisism of HL2 when that get's
> > released too.
>
> I doubt it... I've played the pre-alpha and HL2 is amazing! Plus it has
> huge, brightly lit outdoor areas, so nobody is going to have anything to
> complain about. <g>

Trust me, they will.

Expectations for HL2 are so high for so many people it will not be able
to live up to it.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote
> "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote
>> You will see exactly the same heavy critisism of HL2 when that get's
>> released too. It seems people get it into their head that a certain
>> upcoming release is going to be the second coming or something.
> Have you seen the HL2 videos? It **is** the second coming!

Videos, yeah. Like that one that had a *scripted* event in
which some soldier was grabbed by a tendril or something.
I have seen few videos of HL2, but for some reason, I didn't
get too excited even if I liked the previous HL. Perhaps I can
be positively surprised then if I have no high expectations :)

I'm afraid that the single player campaign in HL2 will be full
of scripts (like in HL) and as you all know, scripted game
has quite low replaying value... Call of Duty etc. are great
games _the first time_ you play them, but replaying them is
like watching the same movie again. I'd like games to be
GAMES, not some damn interactive movies!

In news:dLudnZG9gZsT2L7cRVn-jw@comcast.com,
FatDaddy <KillinU@worm.com> typed:
> the more I play it and give it a try the more it is really a
> disappointment I fell cheated I per ordered this a year in advance
> it really is a joke
> on a comparison quake 3 is 100% better game play

Maybe you're just too fat ;-)