Wireless repeater

I have set up a wireless network with D-link equipment. Dl-624 router, G650 pcmcia, G800AP repeater, and two G520 NIC. The router and repeater are configured and when the router is on by itself all is well the G650 picks up and runs w/o problem. The two PCI NIC's are in the other end of the house and do not receive a sufficient signal to connect, thus the repeater. The problem: when I turn on the repeater the PC's see the SSID but cycle between the two MAC addresses (the router and the repeater) and the router is kicked off-line. The d-link t/s connot seem to help and the d-link web site for the G800AP says that this is a problem with XP zero config not being able to recognize two signals with the same SSID (have to have same to repeat) and recommend a "third party utility". D-link t/s doesn't have any rec and can't help. Anyone with any suggestions? I have tried w/o wep/wap.

Thanks in advance
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless repeater

    Hi.

    Switch Off WZC, and if you need to configure use the D-Link Utility.

    Jack

    "notrepeating" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have set up a wireless network with D-link equipment. Dl-624 router,
    G650 pcmcia, G800AP repeater, and two G520 NIC. The router and repeater are
    configured and when the router is on by itself all is well the G650 picks up
    and runs w/o problem. The two PCI NIC's are in the other end of the house
    and do not receive a sufficient signal to connect, thus the repeater. The
    problem: when I turn on the repeater the PC's see the SSID but cycle between
    the two MAC addresses (the router and the repeater) and the router is kicked
    off-line. The d-link t/s connot seem to help and the d-link web site for the
    G800AP says that this is a problem with XP zero config not being able to
    recognize two signals with the same SSID (have to have same to repeat) and
    recommend a "third party utility". D-link t/s doesn't have any rec and can't
    help. Anyone with any suggestions? I have tried w/o wep/wap.

    > Thanks in advance

    WZC manages connectivity based on the network profile keyed off the SSID. If
    the devices are all using the same network SSID, the actual selection being
    made is performed by the driver. For example, in my home I have coverage via
    two APs on different channels using the same SSID. My h/w driver is
    responsible for determining the crossover point.

    --
    For more information, go to http://www.microsoft.com/wifi/
    "Jack" <JackMDS@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > Switch Off WZC, and if you need to configure use the D-Link Utility.
    >
    > Jack
    >
    > "notrepeating" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I have set up a wireless network with D-link equipment. Dl-624 router,
    > G650 pcmcia, G800AP repeater, and two G520 NIC. The router and repeater
    > are
    > configured and when the router is on by itself all is well the G650 picks
    > up
    > and runs w/o problem. The two PCI NIC's are in the other end of the house
    > and do not receive a sufficient signal to connect, thus the repeater. The
    > problem: when I turn on the repeater the PC's see the SSID but cycle
    > between
    > the two MAC addresses (the router and the repeater) and the router is
    > kicked
    > off-line. The d-link t/s connot seem to help and the d-link web site for
    > the
    > G800AP says that this is a problem with XP zero config not being able to
    > recognize two signals with the same SSID (have to have same to repeat) and
    > recommend a "third party utility". D-link t/s doesn't have any rec and
    > can't
    > help. Anyone with any suggestions? I have tried w/o wep/wap.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    Do you have the 1.02 firmware for the G800AP?
    http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL%2DG800AP

    or

    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg800AP/Firmware/

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:21:02 -0700, notrepeating

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Thanks for the responses:

    I have tried configuring with WZC stopped and have no problem if only the router is turned on. When I turn on the repeater I still cannot connect. I can still see the router but no joy on connecting through to the router and the router still gets kicked off-line.

    I have the latest firmware for both the router (2.42) and the repeater (1.02).

    what channels(s) are you using on the two devices?

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:36:02 -0700, notrepeating

    >Thanks for the responses:
    >
    >I have tried configuring with WZC stopped and have no problem if only the router is turned on.
    When I turn on the repeater I still cannot connect. I can still see
    the router but no joy on connecting through to the router and the
    router still gets kicked off-line.

    >I have the latest firmware for both the router (2.42) and the repeater (1.02).

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    MS-MVP (Windows)

Wireless Routers D-Link Wireless Networking