ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB /Dell Dimension 8400 problem

I apologize in advance to all you gamers, but I have a totally different
problem that I believe is caused by the Catalyst drivers for drivers my PCI
ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB Video card. I can't get into MSPaint as
well as another legacy graphics program (Corel Printhouse). When I try to
open MSPaint I get the error message: "Paint has encountered a problem and
needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." However when I try to
access MSPaint in Safe mode, it does not cause the error. It also works
fine in VGA mode (which I assume loads all the drivers except the video
ones). And if I uninstall the ATI drivers, MSPaint also works.

I have a new Dell Dimension 8400 running XP Home, SP1. Pent 4, 3.0 G with
1.0 G RAM. SATA hard drive. It has a PCI ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB
Video card.

I did two clean reinstalls of XP Home with the (add-on) SATA/RAID drivers
and two repair reinstalls. I have tried every fix for MSPaint that I found
on MS newsgroups, forums and help sites and still got the same error and the
only thing that works is the removal of the ATI drivers from the system.

I reinstalled the original ATI drivers from the Dell Resource disk and all
the latest ones from the ATI site up to 8/16/04. MSPaint fails with all of
them.

The problem clearly lies with the Dimension 8400 motherboard /ATI X300/
Catalyst driver combination. Has anyone heard of this problem? Does anyone
have a fix? Could it be as simple as changing an internal setting using
the control interface or via the registry?

I have already contacted Dell Support. They ran out of ideas (other than
another reformat and clean install of the OS, which I refuse to do) but they
promised to research it and get back to me. I also am waiting for an e-mail
response from ATI. But I assume that the experts here can be a lot more
helpful than tech support.
--
Peace,
BobJ

    "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > I apologize in advance to all you gamers, but I have a totally different
    > problem that I believe is caused by the Catalyst drivers for drivers my
    PCI
    > ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB Video card. I can't get into MSPaint as
    > well as another legacy graphics program (Corel Printhouse). When I try to
    > open MSPaint I get the error message: "Paint has encountered a problem and
    > needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." However when I try
    > access MSPaint in Safe mode, it does not cause the error. It also works
    > fine in VGA mode (which I assume loads all the drivers except the video
    > ones). And if I uninstall the ATI drivers, MSPaint also works.
    >
    > I have a new Dell Dimension 8400 running XP Home, SP1. Pent 4, 3.0 G with
    > 1.0 G RAM. SATA hard drive. It has a PCI ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB
    > Video card.
    >
    > I did two clean reinstalls of XP Home with the (add-on) SATA/RAID drivers
    > and two repair reinstalls. I have tried every fix for MSPaint that I found
    > on MS newsgroups, forums and help sites and still got the same error and
    the
    > only thing that works is the removal of the ATI drivers from the system.
    >
    > I reinstalled the original ATI drivers from the Dell Resource disk and all
    > the latest ones from the ATI site up to 8/16/04. MSPaint fails with all of
    > them.
    >
    > The problem clearly lies with the Dimension 8400 motherboard /ATI X300/
    > Catalyst driver combination. Has anyone heard of this problem? Does
    anyone
    > have a fix? Could it be as simple as changing an internal setting using
    > the control interface or via the registry?
    >
    > I have already contacted Dell Support. They ran out of ideas (other than
    > another reformat and clean install of the OS, which I refuse to do) but
    they
    > promised to research it and get back to me. I also am waiting for an
    e-mail
    > response from ATI. But I assume that the experts here can be a lot more
    > helpful than tech support.
    > --
    > Peace,
    > BobJ

    Not much help but I have the same PC with the 3.4ghz CPU and MSpaint works
    fine from day one out of the box. I still have the drivers loaded for the
    ATI card that came with the system as I have not felt energetic enough yet
    to try the new drivers. The driver that came is 4.5 catalyst which says
    6.14.10.6444. I found that out earlier today in a below post.

    Really strange what is causing the problem.
    Bill

    "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > I apologize in advance to all you gamers, but I have a totally different
    > problem that I believe is caused by the Catalyst drivers for drivers my
    PCI
    > ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB Video card. I can't get into MSPaint as
    > well as another legacy graphics program (Corel Printhouse). When I try to
    > open MSPaint I get the error message: "Paint has encountered a problem and
    > needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." However when I try
    > access MSPaint in Safe mode, it does not cause the error. It also works
    > fine in VGA mode (which I assume loads all the drivers except the video
    > ones). And if I uninstall the ATI drivers, MSPaint also works.
    >
    > I have a new Dell Dimension 8400 running XP Home, SP1. Pent 4, 3.0 G with
    > 1.0 G RAM. SATA hard drive. It has a PCI ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB
    > Video card.
    >
    > I did two clean reinstalls of XP Home with the (add-on) SATA/RAID drivers
    > and two repair reinstalls. I have tried every fix for MSPaint that I found
    > on MS newsgroups, forums and help sites and still got the same error and
    the
    > only thing that works is the removal of the ATI drivers from the system.
    >
    > I reinstalled the original ATI drivers from the Dell Resource disk and all
    > the latest ones from the ATI site up to 8/16/04. MSPaint fails with all of
    > them.
    >
    > The problem clearly lies with the Dimension 8400 motherboard /ATI X300/
    > Catalyst driver combination. Has anyone heard of this problem? Does
    anyone
    > have a fix? Could it be as simple as changing an internal setting using
    > the control interface or via the registry?
    >
    > I have already contacted Dell Support. They ran out of ideas (other than
    > another reformat and clean install of the OS, which I refuse to do) but
    they
    > promised to research it and get back to me. I also am waiting for an
    e-mail
    > response from ATI. But I assume that the experts here can be a lot more
    > helpful than tech support.
    > --
    > Peace,
    > BobJ

    Something just came to mind. Did you install any adobe programs after you
    got the PC? I seem to recall some time ago having a similar problem and it
    was related to adobe or one of their programs.

    Bill

    Hi Bob,

    Has this happened from day one when you received the PC from DELL

    What have YOU installed since receiving it?

    If nothing, why are they sending out a machine that can't run some of the
    OS's basic functions? Surely they tested it before shipping. (you don't need
    to answer this but might be worth asking them)

    On another note, can you send a copy of the Error Details that XP has to
    send to MS so I can have a more detailed look please?

    This might not help but I have had nothing but problems with Dell in the
    past and ask people who are thinking of getting one to think again. That's
    My Opinion.

    Spence

    "William" <dontwriteme@home.com> wrote in message

    > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > > I apologize in advance to all you gamers, but I have a totally different
    > > problem that I believe is caused by the Catalyst drivers for drivers my
    > PCI
    > > ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB Video card. I can't get into MSPaint as
    > > well as another legacy graphics program (Corel Printhouse). When I try
    > > open MSPaint I get the error message: "Paint has encountered a problem
    and
    > > needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." However when I try
    > > access MSPaint in Safe mode, it does not cause the error. It also works
    > > fine in VGA mode (which I assume loads all the drivers except the video
    > > ones). And if I uninstall the ATI drivers, MSPaint also works.
    > >
    > > I have a new Dell Dimension 8400 running XP Home, SP1. Pent 4, 3.0 G
    with
    > > 1.0 G RAM. SATA hard drive. It has a PCI ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE
    128MB
    > > Video card.
    > >
    > > I did two clean reinstalls of XP Home with the (add-on) SATA/RAID
    drivers
    > > and two repair reinstalls. I have tried every fix for MSPaint that I
    found
    > > on MS newsgroups, forums and help sites and still got the same error and
    > the
    > > only thing that works is the removal of the ATI drivers from the system.
    > >
    > > I reinstalled the original ATI drivers from the Dell Resource disk and
    all
    > > the latest ones from the ATI site up to 8/16/04. MSPaint fails with all
    of
    > > them.
    > >
    > > The problem clearly lies with the Dimension 8400 motherboard /ATI X300/
    > > Catalyst driver combination. Has anyone heard of this problem? Does
    > anyone
    > > have a fix? Could it be as simple as changing an internal setting
    using
    > > the control interface or via the registry?
    > >
    > > I have already contacted Dell Support. They ran out of ideas (other
    than
    > > another reformat and clean install of the OS, which I refuse to do) but
    > they
    > > promised to research it and get back to me. I also am waiting for an
    > e-mail
    > > response from ATI. But I assume that the experts here can be a lot more
    > > helpful than tech support.
    > > --
    > > Peace,
    > > BobJ
    > >
    > Something just came to mind. Did you install any adobe programs after you
    > got the PC? I seem to recall some time ago having a similar problem and it
    > was related to adobe or one of their programs.
    >
    > Bill

    The only Adobe program I installed is Adobe Reader, so I doubt if that is
    the problem.
    --
    Peace,
    BobJ

> [...]
    > > > another reformat and clean install of the OS, which I refuse to do)
    but
    > > they
    > > > promised to research it and get back to me. I also am waiting for an
    > > e-mail
    > > > response from ATI. But I assume that the experts here can be a lot
    more
    > > > helpful than tech support.
    > > > --
    > > > Peace,
    > > > BobJ
    > > >
    > > Something just came to mind. Did you install any adobe programs after
    you
    > > got the PC? I seem to recall some time ago having a similar problem and
    it
    > > was related to adobe or one of their programs.
    > >
    > > Bill
    > >
    > The only Adobe program I installed is Adobe Reader, so I doubt if that is

    You could reinstall the OS without any additional software. Check if it
    works. Then start installing drivers while checking if the problem
    resurfaces. It's a pain in the ass, but you might be able to find the
    offending piece of software. Also, you could try downloading all the updated
    drivers from Dell. You could even install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP
    (before installing any drivers). You could try updating the BIOS as well
    (follow the instructions attached to the download TO THE LETTER if you want
    to flash your BIOS.)

    And speaking of Dell's support. They are not supposed to run out of ideas.
    Your computer doesn't work like it should. Keep calling (it costs them money
    hehe) asking for supervisors, managers, or higher level support.

    --
    NoRemorse
    "Expect me when you see me."

    "Spencer" <warthog@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > the latest ones from the ATI site up to 8/16/04. MSPaint fails with all
    of
    > > them.
    > >
    > > The problem clearly lies with the Dimension 8400 motherboard /ATI X300/
    > > Catalyst driver combination. Has anyone heard of this problem? Does
    > anyone
    > > have a fix? Could it be as simple as changing an internal setting
    using
    > > the control interface or via the registry?
    > >
    > > I have already contacted Dell Support. They ran out of ideas (other
    than
    > > another reformat and clean install of the OS, which I refuse to do) but
    > they
    > > promised to research it and get back to me. I also am waiting for an
    > e-mail
    > > response from ATI. But I assume that the experts here can be a lot more

    I do not know if I had this problem out of the box, as I didn't test it
    immediately. I've installed a number of programs on this computer that had
    previously been on my Win98SE box. However, I did run MSConfig in the
    diagnostic (no applications loaded) mode and also ran EndItAll2. I had the
    problem in both cases, Since it only works in Safe Mode, I have to think it
    is a driver problems (or, at worst, a registry issue).
    --

> [...]
    than
    > > another reformat and clean install of the OS, which I refuse to do) but
    > they
    > > promised to research it and get back to me. I also am waiting for an
    > e-mail
    > > response from ATI. But I assume that the experts here can be a lot more
    > > helpful than tech support.
    > > --
    > > Peace,
    > > BobJ
    > >
    > Not much help but I have the same PC with the 3.4ghz CPU and MSpaint works
    > fine from day one out of the box. I still have the drivers loaded for the
    > ATI card that came with the system as I have not felt energetic enough yet
    > to try the new drivers. The driver that came is 4.5 catalyst which says
    > 6.14.10.6444. I found that out earlier today in a below post.
    >
    > Really strange what is causing the problem.

    Thank you so much for your response. It's good to know the facts (even if
    it conflicts with my theory). It still isn't worth it for me tp do a full
    format/install.
    --
    Peace,
    BobJ

    "NoRemorse" <thebummer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "William" <dontwriteme@home.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > You could reinstall the OS without any additional software. Check if it
    > works. Then start installing drivers while checking if the problem
    > resurfaces. It's a pain in the ass, but you might be able to find the
    > offending piece of software. Also, you could try downloading all the
    updated
    > drivers from Dell. You could even install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP
    > (before installing any drivers). You could try updating the BIOS as well
    > (follow the instructions attached to the download TO THE LETTER if you
    want
    > to flash your BIOS.)
    >
    > And speaking of Dell's support. They are not supposed to run out of ideas.
    > Your computer doesn't work like it should. Keep calling (it costs them
    money
    > hehe) asking for supervisors, managers, or higher level support.
    >
    > --
    > NoRemorse
    > "Expect me when you see me."

    I really don't know if this is accurate or not, but I would *guess* that
    Dell VGA mode installs all the drivers except the video ones. When in VGA
    mode, MSPaint worked. Also I removed the ATI driver, rebooted and MS Paint
    worked. That is not to say that there is not a conflict between drivers and
    if I removed another one, but had the video driver running that Paint would
    work. Aren't computers fun? I guess at one point I should try a selective
    reboot and reject all drivers except for the ATI ones and see if I can get
    into Paint. This all seems like a lot more effort than it is worth. I
    think I need a vacation.
    --
    Peace,
    BobJ

    > "NoRemorse" <thebummer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "William" <dontwriteme@home.com> wrote in message

    > > You could reinstall the OS without any additional software. Check if it
    > > works. Then start installing drivers while checking if the problem
    > > resurfaces. It's a pain in the ass, but you might be able to find the
    > > offending piece of software. Also, you could try downloading all the
    > updated
    > > drivers from Dell. You could even install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP
    > > (before installing any drivers). You could try updating the BIOS as well
    > > (follow the instructions attached to the download TO THE LETTER if you
    > want
    > > to flash your BIOS.)
    > >
    > > And speaking of Dell's support. They are not supposed to run out of
    ideas.
    > > Your computer doesn't work like it should. Keep calling (it costs them
    > money
    > > hehe) asking for supervisors, managers, or higher level support.
    > >
    > > --
    > > NoRemorse
    > > "Expect me when you see me."
    > >

    > I really don't know if this is accurate or not, but I would *guess* that
    > Dell VGA mode installs all the drivers except the video ones. When in VGA
    > mode, MSPaint worked. Also I removed the ATI driver, rebooted and MS
    Paint
    > worked. That is not to say that there is not a conflict between drivers
    and
    > if I removed another one, but had the video driver running that Paint
    would
    > work. Aren't computers fun? I guess at one point I should try a
    selective
    > reboot and reject all drivers except for the ATI ones and see if I can get
    > into Paint. This all seems like a lot more effort than it is worth. I
    > think I need a vacation.

    I've never used the Dell restore disk that came with my laptop so I don't
    know if it installs drivers. You can download updated drivers from
    http://support.dell.com. You could even update all the drivers (chipset,
    lan, mouse, audio, and whatever) right now without bothering with a fresh
    install.

    --
    NoRemorse
    "Expect me when you see me."

    "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > I apologize in advance to all you gamers, but I have a totally different
    > problem that I believe is caused by the Catalyst drivers for drivers my
    PCI
    > ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB Video card. I can't get into MSPaint as
    > well as another legacy graphics program (Corel Printhouse). When I try to
    > open MSPaint I get the error message: "Paint has encountered a problem and
    > needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." However when I try
    > access MSPaint in Safe mode, it does not cause the error. It also works
    > fine in VGA mode (which I assume loads all the drivers except the video
    > ones). And if I uninstall the ATI drivers, MSPaint also works.
    >
    > I have a new Dell Dimension 8400 running XP Home, SP1. Pent 4, 3.0 G with
    > 1.0 G RAM. SATA hard drive. It has a PCI ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB
    > Video card.
    >
    > I did two clean reinstalls of XP Home with the (add-on) SATA/RAID drivers
    > and two repair reinstalls. I have tried every fix for MSPaint that I found
    > on MS newsgroups, forums and help sites and still got the same error and
    the
    > only thing that works is the removal of the ATI drivers from the system.
    >
    > I reinstalled the original ATI drivers from the Dell Resource disk and all
    > the latest ones from the ATI site up to 8/16/04. MSPaint fails with all of
    > them.
    >
    > The problem clearly lies with the Dimension 8400 motherboard /ATI X300/
    > Catalyst driver combination. Has anyone heard of this problem? Does
    anyone
    > have a fix? Could it be as simple as changing an internal setting using
    > the control interface or via the registry?
    >
    > I have already contacted Dell Support. They ran out of ideas (other than
    > another reformat and clean install of the OS, which I refuse to do) but
    they
    > promised to research it and get back to me. I also am waiting for an
    e-mail
    > response from ATI. But I assume that the experts here can be a lot more
    > helpful than tech support.
    > --
    > Peace,
    > BobJ

    Bob,

    Came across this tip. Backup registry before you try it. If this doesnt help
    you may also have a corrupt mfc42u.dll file. let us know.
    I don't know if this problem is still affecting you, but here is the fix:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q185501

    To resolve this problem:

    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press
    ENTER.

    2. Locate and click the following registry key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Applets\Paint

    3. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.

    This registry key is rebuilt the next time that you start Paint.

    > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > > ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB Video card. I can't get into MSPaint as
    > > well as another legacy graphics program (Corel Printhouse). When I try
    > > open MSPaint I get the error message: "Paint has encountered a problem
    and
    > > needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." However when I try
    > > access MSPaint in Safe mode, it does not cause the error. It also works
    > > fine in VGA mode (which I assume loads all the drivers except the video
    > > ones). And if I uninstall the ATI drivers, MSPaint also works.

    <snip>> Bob,

    > Came across this tip. Backup registry before you try it. If this doesnt
    help
    > you may also have a corrupt mfc42u.dll file. let us know.
    > I don't know if this problem is still affecting you, but here is the fix:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q185501
    >
    > To resolve this problem:
    >
    > 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press
    > ENTER.
    >
    > 2. Locate and click the following registry key:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Applets\Paint
    >
    > 3. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.
    >
    > This registry key is rebuilt the next time that you start Paint.

    Yes I've tried this a number of times. It doesn't work. I can't get into
    Paint even if the registry items are removed. In fact I can't get the
    registry items back at all, except by entering Paint in Safe mode.
    --
    Peace,
    BobJ

    > "William" <dontwriteme@home.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > > > ExpressATI Radeon X300 SE 128MB Video card. I can't get into MSPaint
    as
    > > > well as another legacy graphics program (Corel Printhouse). When I
    try
    > > > open MSPaint I get the error message: "Paint has encountered a problem
    > and
    > > > needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." However when I
    try
    > > > access MSPaint in Safe mode, it does not cause the error. It also
    works
    > > > fine in VGA mode (which I assume loads all the drivers except the
    video
    > > > ones). And if I uninstall the ATI drivers, MSPaint also works.
    > > >
    > <snip>> Bob,
    > >
    > > Came across this tip. Backup registry before you try it. If this doesnt
    > help
    > > you may also have a corrupt mfc42u.dll file. let us know.

    > > I don't know if this problem is still affecting you, but here is the
    fix:

    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q185501
    > >
    > > To resolve this problem:
    > >
    > > 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press
    > > ENTER.
    > >
    > > 2. Locate and click the following registry key:
    > >
    > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
    Version\Applets\Paint

    > > 3. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.
    > >
    > > This registry key is rebuilt the next time that you start Paint.
    > >
    > Yes I've tried this a number of times. It doesn't work. I can't get
    into
    > Paint even if the registry items are removed. In fact I can't get the
    > registry items back at all, except by entering Paint in Safe mode.
    > --
    > Peace,
    > BobJ

    Wow, its a toughie..what about the mfc42u.dll file? Maybe its corrupt.
    Search your pc and post how many instances it is there and in what directory
    and the version. I will compare it with mine and see if any differences.

    > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "NoRemorse" <thebummer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message

    > I've never used the Dell restore disk that came with my laptop so I don't
    > know if it installs drivers. You can download updated drivers from
    > http://support.dell.com. You could even update all the drivers (chipset,
    > lan, mouse, audio, and whatever) right now without bothering with a fresh
    > install.

    Dell does not supply a Recovery disk. They (to their credit) supply a
    "real" OEM version of Windows XP Home and a Dell Resource Disk which
    contains the video drivers. However I have already downloaded and installed
    all the new drivers from the Dell site, and when that did not work, the even
    newer drivers from the ATI site.
    --
    Peace,
    BobJ

    > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > > "William" <dontwriteme@home.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    MSPaint
    > as
    > try
    > > and
    > try
    > works
    > video
    > > > >
    > > <snip>> Bob,
    > > >
    > > > Came across this tip. Backup registry before you try it. If this
    doesnt
    > > help
    > > > you may also have a corrupt mfc42u.dll file. let us know.

    > > --
    > > > I don't know if this problem is still affecting you, but here is the
    > fix:
    > > >
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q185501
    > > >
    > > > To resolve this problem:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then
    press
    > > > ENTER.
    > > >
    > > > 2. Locate and click the following registry key:
    > > >
    > > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
    > Version\Applets\Paint
    > > >
    > > > 3. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.
    > > >
    > > > This registry key is rebuilt the next time that you start Paint.
    > > >
    > > Yes I've tried this a number of times. It doesn't work. I can't get
    > into
    > > Paint even if the registry items are removed. In fact I can't get the
    > > registry items back at all, except by entering Paint in Safe mode.
    > > --
    > > Peace,
    > > BobJ
    > >
    > Wow, its a toughie..what about the mfc42u.dll file? Maybe its corrupt.
    > Search your pc and post how many instances it is there and in what
    directory
    > and the version. I will compare it with mine and see if any differences.

    William,

    Just two copies of mfc42u.dll:

    One in: C:\WINDOWS\system32

    the other:
    C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Tools.VisualCPlusPlus.Runtime-Libraries_6595
    b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_ff9986d7

    both are:
    Version 6.0.8665.0 (995,384 bytes) Modified 7/16/2003
    both were Accessed today, 6 seconds apart
    --
    Peace,
    BobJ

    > "William" <dontwriteme@home.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > > > "William" <dontwriteme@home.com> wrote in message

    > > > <snip>
    > MSPaint
    > > as
    > > try
    > problem
    > > > and
    > > try
    > > works
    > > video
    > > > > >
    > > > <snip>> Bob,

    > doesnt
    > > > help

    > > > --
    > > fix:

    > press

    > > Version\Applets\Paint

    > > > Yes I've tried this a number of times. It doesn't work. I can't get
    > > into
    > > > Paint even if the registry items are removed. In fact I can't get the
    > > > registry items back at all, except by entering Paint in Safe mode.
    > > > --
    > > > Peace,
    > > > BobJ
    > > >
    > > Wow, its a toughie..what about the mfc42u.dll file? Maybe its corrupt.
    > > Search your pc and post how many instances it is there and in what
    > directory
    > > and the version. I will compare it with mine and see if any differences.
    > >

    > William,
    >
    > Just two copies of mfc42u.dll:
    >
    > One in: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >
    > the other:

    C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Tools.VisualCPlusPlus.Runtime-Libraries_6595
    > b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_ff9986d7
    >
    > both are:
    > Version 6.0.8665.0 (995,384 bytes) Modified 7/16/2003
    > both were Accessed today, 6 seconds apart
    > --
    > Peace,
    > BobJ

    Ok I have it in two other locations to the ones above and have no idea if
    they are really needed

    C:\I386

    C:\I386\ASMS\6000\MSFT\VCRTL

    Also my versions are the same as yours and created Aug 29 2002, same size.

    Might be worth a shot in the dark and copy it to the other two locations see
    if it makes a difference. If not you can remove them.

    I would also be willing to email you in zip form my copy just in case yours
    is somehow corrupt.

    Bill
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > > "William" <dontwriteme@home.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message

    > > MSPaint
    > > > as
    When
    > > > try
    > > problem
    > > > try
    > > > works
    > > > video

    > > doesnt

    > > > fix:

    > > press

    > > > Version\Applets\Paint

    > > > into
    > > > >
    > > > Wow, its a toughie..what about the mfc42u.dll file? Maybe its corrupt.
    > > > Search your pc and post how many instances it is there and in what
    > > directory
    > > > and the version. I will compare it with mine and see if any
    differences.

    > > William,
    > >
    > > Just two copies of mfc42u.dll:
    > >
    > > One in: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    > >
    > > the other:

    C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Tools.VisualCPlusPlus.Runtime-Libraries_6595
    > > b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_ff9986d7
    > >
    > > both are:
    > > Version 6.0.8665.0 (995,384 bytes) Modified 7/16/2003
    > > both were Accessed today, 6 seconds apart
    > > --
    > > Peace,
    > > BobJ
    > >
    > Ok I have it in two other locations to the ones above and have no idea if
    > they are really needed
    >
    > C:\I386
    >
    > C:\I386\ASMS\6000\MSFT\VCRTL
    >
    > Also my versions are the same as yours and created Aug 29 2002, same size.
    >
    > Might be worth a shot in the dark and copy it to the other two locations
    see
    > if it makes a difference. If not you can remove them.
    >
    > I would also be willing to email you in zip form my copy just in case
    yours
    > is somehow corrupt.
    >
    > Bill

    Running out opf ideas :-) when you did the clean installs were they with a
    reformat of the HD? I came across another user that had a similar problem in
    the UK and found out that a jpg file that he downloaded from a web site had
    corrupted MS Paint and casued it not to open. Did you do a virus scan or
    scan for spyware with a program like adaware? Even if you did one with say
    Norton I would also recomemend doing one with
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp Its online, free,
    and catches stuff others miss.

    Bill

    Bill

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > "William" <dontwriteme@home.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Marilyn and Bob" <privacy@nospam.please> wrote in message
    > > > "William" <dontwriteme@home.com> wrote in message

    > > > MSPaint
    > > > >

    > > > William,
    > > >
    > > > Just two copies of mfc42u.dll:
    > > >
    > > > One in: C:\WINDOWS\system32
    > > >
    > > > the other:

    C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Tools.VisualCPlusPlus.Runtime-Libraries_6595
    > > > b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_ff9986d7
    > > >
    > > > both are:
    > > > Version 6.0.8665.0 (995,384 bytes) Modified 7/16/2003
    > > > both were Accessed today, 6 seconds apart
    > > > --
    > > > Peace,
    > > > BobJ
    > > >
    > > Ok I have it in two other locations to the ones above and have no idea
    if
    > > they are really needed
    > >
    > > C:\I386
    > >
    > > C:\I386\ASMS\6000\MSFT\VCRTL
    > >
    > > Also my versions are the same as yours and created Aug 29 2002, same
    size.

    > > Might be worth a shot in the dark and copy it to the other two locations
    > see
    > > if it makes a difference. If not you can remove them.
    > >
    > > I would also be willing to email you in zip form my copy just in case
    > yours
    > > is somehow corrupt.

    C:\I386 is just XP's (or your computer maker's) repository of basic Windows
    files so that one doesn't have to always load the CD to install Windows
    components. This is the same folder that is on the Windows CD. It's like
    the old Windows/Options/Cabs folder in Win 9X. The files in those folders
    are not actively used . Thanks for the offer of the .dll file but my
    better half (Marilyn) has a working version on her XP laptop and I can get
    it from there.

    > > Bill
    > >
    > Running out opf ideas :-) when you did the clean installs were they with a
    > reformat of the HD? I came across another user that had a similar problem
    in
    > the UK and found out that a jpg file that he downloaded from a web site
    had
    > corrupted MS Paint and casued it not to open. Did you do a virus scan or
    > scan for spyware with a program like adaware? Even if you did one with say
    > Norton I would also recomemend doing one with
    > http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp Its online, free,
    > and catches stuff others miss.

    I've done a virus check, and ran both spybot and adaware. I will try
    housecall, but I'm not optimistic. It looks like the only way to possibly
    solve this is, as you suggested, a reformat and clean install of the OS. If
    Paint works then I have to slowly add things back to see where the problem
    lies. I am just not willing to do that now. I can just hope that Dell or
    ATI comes up with a solution or that by some chance a new ATI driver (they
    do come out monthly) miraculously solves the problem.

    Anyway, I thank you for your efforts. I will monitor this board for
    another week or so (then we go on vacation) to see if you or anyone else has
    any other thoughts.
    --
    Peace,
    BobJ

    Sounds like corrupt install of Windows. When you reinstall Windows do
    you do a fix or delete windows directory and reinstall? Best thing is
    to backup your hard drive, format, and do clean reinstall. That should
    end your problems. I can pretty much guarantee that it's not ATI driver
    error. If ATI driver was bad, you would be having problems on many
    graphics programs.

    --
    dhsa

Radeon Graphics