Warning:Norton Antivirus 2005 - dont let it disable window..

Hi,
I installed AntiVirus 2005, with all the deafaults (incl. so called Internet
worm protection). Almost immediately after, I caght some "stuff" just
browsing the web.
I just opened web page, and I saw in the "status" bar of IE - "installing
cab..." Oh my!
Normally windows XP sp2 asks "the download was blocked" or "do you want
install..." or "do you want to unblock..".
How big was my surprise when I went to the settings to see that windows
firewall was disabled and that's why I did not get that message!!!
Antivirus by deafault disables the firewall, "to prevent duplicate alerts".
Apparently Antivirus is no good at protecting me while browsing.

Message to Symantec:
Please dont disable windows firewall, dont alter IE security settings, dont
interfere with windows script blocking!

The thing is I NEVER download something, never allow ActiveX and other
vulnerabilities. And I had to spend 1 day to clean up all the spyware,
hijackers and stuff, just because Antivirus failed to give me at least a
warning that something was being installed.

peter

I would certainly complain to Norton. Personally I don't like their
security products. It is common, however, for a software firewall to
disable Windows Firewall, but an anti-virus application certainly shouldn't.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:29:01 -0800, andru123 wrote:

> I installed AntiVirus 2005, with all the deafaults (incl. so called Internet
> worm protection). Almost immediately after, I caght some "stuff" just
> browsing the web.
> I just opened web page, and I saw in the "status" bar of IE - "installing
> cab..." Oh my!
> Normally windows XP sp2 asks "the download was blocked" or "do you want
> install..." or "do you want to unblock..".
> How big was my surprise when I went to the settings to see that windows
> firewall was disabled and that's why I did not get that message!!!
> Antivirus by deafault disables the firewall, "to prevent duplicate alerts".
> Apparently Antivirus is no good at protecting me while browsing.

I got news for you, but the Norton 2005 Antivirus product does NOT disable
the Windows SP2 firewall. Notice I said Antivirus - like you said.
Norton's security suite, with NIS, does disable it.

We've done a lot of installs of NAV2005 and not one has changed the
firewall status. Could it be that you're running NIS or some suite from
Norton that included NAV and you just think it was NAV?

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me