Hi

I've got a work group with 2 XP Pro machines and one Home, I'd like to
secure the files on the two
Pro machines from the Home machine but still have Home on the network, is
there any way that the
two Pro w/s can access each others files but not the Home machine?

Thanks Craig

Gordon

Craig Pfaff wrote:
|| Hi
|| I've got a work group with 2 XP Pro machines and one Home, I'd like
|| to secure the files on the two
|| Pro machines from the Home machine but still have Home on the
|| network, is there any way that the
|| two Pro w/s can access each others files but not the Home machine?
|| Thanks Craig

Presuming the Home machine has a different Username and password login to
the two Pro machines, just deny the Home user access to the relevant files
and folders on the pro machines.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Craig

Thanks Gordon,
But how do I go about doing that?
"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Craig Pfaff wrote:
> || Hi
> || I've got a work group with 2 XP Pro machines and one Home, I'd like
> || to secure the files on the two
> || Pro machines from the Home machine but still have Home on the
> || network, is there any way that the
> || two Pro w/s can access each others files but not the Home machine?
> || Thanks Craig
>
> Presuming the Home machine has a different Username and password login to
> the two Pro machines, just deny the Home user access to the relevant files
> and folders on the pro machines.
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Craig

Never mind I think the workgroup I'm supporting is Home which doesn't give
me the same folder permissions.
"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Craig Pfaff wrote:
> || Hi
> || I've got a work group with 2 XP Pro machines and one Home, I'd like
> || to secure the files on the two
> || Pro machines from the Home machine but still have Home on the
> || network, is there any way that the
> || two Pro w/s can access each others files but not the Home machine?
> || Thanks Craig
>
> Presuming the Home machine has a different Username and password login to
> the two Pro machines, just deny the Home user access to the relevant files
> and folders on the pro machines.
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

Craig wrote:
|| Never mind I think the workgroup I'm supporting is Home which
|| doesn't give me the same folder permissions.

You can access folder permissions by booting into Safe Mode and logging on
as Administrator AFAIK....(I don't have Home Edition....)

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Hi Craig,

Thanks for posting.

You want to know how to let the two Windows XP Pro access each others
files, but not the Windows XP Home machine. And the Home machine has a
different Username and password login to the two Pro machines, just deny
the Home user access to the relevant files and folders on the pro machines.
If I have misunderstood your concern, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my knowledge, in workgroup when you want to access the shared
folder on another computer, you need to enter a username and password
before you can access the folder. So if you set the different username and
password on these three computers, and if the Home machine user does not
know the username and password on these two Pro machines, of course he
cannot access the folder. If you need the two Pro machines can access each
other, you only need to create a same username and password on these two
machines and when they access each other, enter the same username and
password in the pop-up window.

If you just want to deny the Home user access to the relevant files and
folders on the pro machines, you can fulfill it by setting the permissions
on the specific file or folder. Please perform the following steps:

1. Log on as an administrator on XP Pro
2. Right-click on the shared folder on Windows XP Pro and choose Properties
3. Go to Security Tab and choose the user name which is on Windows XP Home
machine
4. Deny or uncheck the Allow Full Control
5. Click OK

Please take your time in trying the steps above and let me know the result
at your earliest convenience. If there is anything unclear, please feel
free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang[MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support