Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Don't want login screen XP home edition

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 11:27:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Help, why all of a sudden am I getting the login screen prompting me for a
password? It is just me and my husband and we don't want to password protect
and have to type it in each time. How can I make that screen go away. It
wasn't there until I downloaded the new security update. Hope someone can
help me with this. I don't know if I can find my way back here. Can you email
me at jbandbb1969@yahoo.com ?? Forevery grateful! Bonnie
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 1:32:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

The Welcome to Windows screen appears when you start Windows XP
after you install the .NET Framework 1.1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"jbandbbtx" wrote:

| Help, why all of a sudden am I getting the login screen prompting me for a
| password? It is just me and my husband and we don't want to password protect
| and have to type it in each time. How can I make that screen go away. It
| wasn't there until I downloaded the new security update. Hope someone can
| help me with this. I don't know if I can find my way back here.
Forevery grateful! Bonnie
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 1:32:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi, thanks for trying to help me. I went to that link and did what it said to
download the newest .net framework 1.1 and I am still getting the login
screen prompting for a password. How do I work around this. If you set a pw,
will that screen go away and not ask me again? Please help! Thanks again!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> The Welcome to Windows screen appears when you start Windows XP
> after you install the .NET Framework 1.1
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "jbandbbtx" wrote:
>
> | Help, why all of a sudden am I getting the login screen prompting me for a
> | password? It is just me and my husband and we don't want to password protect
> | and have to type it in each time. How can I make that screen go away. It
> | wasn't there until I downloaded the new security update. Hope someone can
> | help me with this. I don't know if I can find my way back here.
> Forevery grateful! Bonnie
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 2:29:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

You can use the following steps to enable automatic logon:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.

How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"jbandbbtx" wrote:

| Hi, thanks for trying to help me. I went to that link and did what it said to
| download the newest .net framework 1.1 and I am still getting the login
| screen prompting for a password. How do I work around this. If you set a pw,
| will that screen go away and not ask me again? Please help! Thanks again!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 3:25:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

It worked for me now, thank you so much! :) 

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You can use the following steps to enable automatic logon:
>
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
> 3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
> and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.
>
> How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "jbandbbtx" wrote:
>
> | Hi, thanks for trying to help me. I went to that link and did what it said to
> | download the newest .net framework 1.1 and I am still getting the login
> | screen prompting for a password. How do I work around this. If you set a pw,
> | will that screen go away and not ask me again? Please help! Thanks again!
>
>
March 1, 2005 3:45:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I've been having the same problem as the person above. I unchecked the
box stated previously, but when I clicked okay another box popped up asking
for user name and password information. I would to start up without any
user/password information. Thank you

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You can use the following steps to enable automatic logon:
>
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
> 3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
> and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.
>
> How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "jbandbbtx" wrote:
>
> | Hi, thanks for trying to help me. I went to that link and did what it said to
> | download the newest .net framework 1.1 and I am still getting the login
> | screen prompting for a password. How do I work around this. If you set a pw,
> | will that screen go away and not ask me again? Please help! Thanks again!
>
>
!