Multiple problems with Windows 7 Ultimate

recall222

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
12/5/2010

I've had problems with Windows 7 Ultimate for a number of months since startup of my new build. Specifically with downloading any non Microsoft.exe files (probably would if trying to run them), will not print in windows 7 (basic printing), and can't get my speakers to work. Also, the Media Player seems not to work when trying to download video's from DVDs. I can only use MS Essentials, updated and system checked daily, for my security & the Wndows firewall. Complete Essentials scans finds no Virus's, malware, etc.
I normally keep my security settings high EXCEPT when downloading programs, accessing online accounts, etc. Obviously, I had no problems with this site.

My build is-
Mothb. -Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
CPU- AMD Phenom II 4x 955 Deneb AM3
Graphics C.-Asus Eah 4890 DDR5
Mem- 4 Gb Cousair
HDDs- 2 WD 750 & 1 Tb.
2 DVD/CD burners
Monitor - Samsung HDMI
Speakers - 2 Logitech plain, std.
Printer- Hp Officejet Pro K550dtn (Legacy - know HP doesn't have Win. 7 drivers)

I hope you guys can offer me some assistance since this has been very, very frustrating. Scoured the Microsoft Windows forums, Instuctions, etc. and still can't solve my problems. Moderators on the Windows sites seem to refer all problems to MS instruction pages that have not helped me. I hope I have provided enough ifo. If not please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

recall222

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Thanks for the reply anonymous 1.

Yes all drivers were loaded at startup. Some were updated drivers from Mfgs. website (using another computer) and loaded at time of startup. There are no nonworking or known problematic hardware, or software drivers installed that I can find. Appears to be no
newer drivers available for further updates of my hardware.
I bought another set of speakers thinking my legacies were too outdated, but that does not seem to be the problem. Still no sound from new speakers. Tried plugging speakers into every simple plugg-in on back of computer including the front. Oddly, my sterio headphones work just fine plugged in on the front. Haven't tried them on the back.

What errors or issues exactly happen when you try the things you listed? The no sound is pretty obvious, but what happens when you try to print, download files, etc...? You already listed that HP does not have drivers for the printer, does Windows detect it as the right model?

To me all of this points to a bad installtion of Windows and drivers setup. Too many issues here with too many things to be caused by just one thing.

recall222

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Thanks for the reply's hang-the -9 & malmental.

The only error messages that I get when I try downloading .exe files or to use the media player is "security settings do not allow......". I have tried resetting the security settings to allow for the download. but apparently MSEssentials or some other setting will not allow me to.
On the Media player I cannot get the player to run with a DVD in the burner. Tried to access .exe files I downloaded using another computer but the same security block pops up.

recall222

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Thanks for the reply's hang-the -9 & malmental.

The only error messages that I get when I try downloading .exe files or to use the media player is "your security settings do not allow......". I have tried resetting the security settings to allow for the download. but apparently MSEssentials or some other setting will not allow me to. I can download most information mixed files with no problems.

On the Media player I cannot get the player to run with a DVD in the burner. I can play the Windows installed pictures, music, and video. Tried to access .exe files on a DVD I downloaded using another computer but the same security block pops up.
Windows 7 does recognize my printer and the system shows the printer as defalt and with basic drivers. According to MS even though I don't have updated drivers I should still have basic printer capabilities. When trying to print, nothing happens. No error messages, even the printer sounds as if it is priming to print. Nothing.
As I stated in my original post, I keep my security settings relatively high, especially when I am surfing the web.

malmental, Your suggestion is exactly what I am trying to avoid. This problem may boil down to that but I don't cherish the thought.

Download VLC Media player, will that play DVDs? I don't know if Media Player will play DVDs, it used to not, but I have not tried it in Win 7. This is for movie DVDs, your data DVDs are no different than any of the other errrors you get with .exe files.

The other issue is just a security setting, you should be able to get around that with some more checking into the error and your settings.

recall222

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Thanks again guys for the replys.

Herr_Koss, please read my initial post.

hang-the -9, You are probably right about the Media Player. However I thought I read somewhere that it would play all DVDs. I will try and download the VLC Media Player. If it has an .exe file, I probably won't be able to download it, but I'll try. I think it is rather peculiar that I can update Windows Security Essentials every day, including some of the Windows 7 updates and I don't encounter the security block. I don't make any changes to my settings when I download them. I do have most of Microsoft's sites listed in the Trusted Sites which I thought would permit non-updates from them, but that does not seem to be the case.

I purchased a copy of Windows 7 Inside Out (by authors E.Bott, C. Siechert, and C. Stinson), and on page 482 it states that "to play a DVD in Media Center, choose Movies from the Start page and then choose Play DVD". So, I am assuming that it should play them.
I do change the settings when I access certain accounts, but not make a specific request to down load an .exe file. I suppose that is the reason I have no problems with them.

I"ll try and download the VLC Media Player and report back.