Cheap Graphics Card Update

Hi

I'm currently using a Geforce 4 MX 440 128mb card in an Athlon XP 2400+ PC
with 512mb DDR ram.

I'm looking to upgrade to a card that I can comfortably play the newer games
on such as Pro Evolution Soccer 4 when it comes out.

I have around 75 UKP to play with only as I'm on a tight budget, would the
following 9600 256mb card suffice?

http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/abit9600256mbddr?source=kelkoo&type=pricecomparison

I'm aware that I could get a good card on EBay for the price but I'd rather
buy from a shop so that I have a warranty in case of anything going wrong.

Thanks

More about cheap graphics card update

    "Greedy G" <mmmmmmm@pies.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm currently using a Geforce 4 MX 440 128mb card in an Athlon XP 2400+ PC
    > with 512mb DDR ram.
    >
    > I'm looking to upgrade to a card that I can comfortably play the newer
    games
    > on such as Pro Evolution Soccer 4 when it comes out.
    >
    > I have around 75 UKP to play with only as I'm on a tight budget, would the
    > following 9600 256mb card suffice?

    A straight 9600 256Mb is a so-so card. That same website sells a 9600XT
    128Mb for 88UKP that is twice the card of the straight 9600. You don't need
    256Mb of slow, slow 200Mhz memory on your card.

    "Greedy G" <mmmmmmm@pies.com> said:

    > I'm looking to upgrade to a card that I can comfortably play the
    > newer games on such as Pro Evolution Soccer 4 when it comes out.

    The 9600 will be a significant upgrade from your MX440, I'm not familiar
    with the game you mention so I can't answer any better than that.
    --
    Mac Cool

    Thanks for the help all.

    A mate pointed me in the direction of the following card:

    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=3978&GroupID=0

    I think I'll go for this one - a 9600 PRO for 74UKP.

    Cheers

    "Greedy G" <mmmmmmm@pies.com> wrote
    > I think I'll go for this one - a 9600 PRO for 74UKP.

    Well that's the minimun card for games novadays, but
    if you're not used to 60fps framerates anyway then it
    should be sufficient :-)

    Well u will get 60 fps in older games like dx 8.1 type but new games like dx
    9. with all those new settings in new games You wont be able to get frame
    rate of umber card but it will be sufficent.
    "Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message
    > "Greedy G" <mmmmmmm@pies.com> wrote
    > > I think I'll go for this one - a 9600 PRO for 74UKP.
    >
    > Well that's the minimun card for games novadays, but
    > if you're not used to 60fps framerates anyway then it
    > should be sufficient :-)

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics