Hello,

From an overall perspective, what is better to go with.

4.8 or the 4.9(brought out for doome) cat drivers?

smithy

On 8/20/2004 4:57 PM smithy brightened our day with:

>Hello,
>
>From an overall perspective, what is better to go with.
>
>4.8 or the 4.9(brought out for doome) cat drivers?
>
>smithy

I'm running the 4.8 drivers but I kept the atioglxx.dll from 4.9b in my
doom 3 folder.
I think Far Cry (and D3D in general) runs better with the 4.8s.

--
History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤

Smithy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

Ingloo how did you maintain that .dll file? meaning what directory in doom3
did you stash it in? and how does doom3 know its there and not pull the one
from the 4.8 set?

smithy

"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
> On 8/20/2004 4:57 PM smithy brightened our day with:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >From an overall perspective, what is better to go with.
> >
> >4.8 or the 4.9(brought out for doome) cat drivers?
> >
> >smithy
> >

> I'm running the 4.8 drivers but I kept the atioglxx.dll from 4.9b in my
> doom 3 folder.
> I think Far Cry (and D3D in general) runs better with the 4.8s.
>
> --
> History shows again and again
> How nature points up the folly of men
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤

On 8/21/2004 2:51 PM smithy brightened our day with:

>Ingloo how did you maintain that .dll file? meaning what directory in doom3
>did you stash it in? and how does doom3 know its there and not pull the one
>from the 4.8 set?
>
>smithy

Download the 4.9beta drivers run the install set up, *but* don't finish
it, just let it extract out to whatever folder it asks and then cancel.
You can also just open the executable file with WinZip and extract it to
a folder of your choosing.
Go to the folder and find the atioglxx.dl_ file, it'll be somewhere like
....\wxp-w2k-DOOM-HOTFIX\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_17036\
Open a command prompt(start>all programs>accessories>Command Prompt) and
navigate to where that file is,
type in expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll, then copy it over to the same
folder that has the Doom3.exe in it.
If you already have the 4.9beta installed, just copy the file from
c:\windows\system32\.
Then install the 4.8 drivers.
You can move the 4.9 beta atioglxx driver in and out of the Doom 3
folder to test for yourself which, if either, gives better performance.
This is the way these games have worked for a while, they look in the
current folder for a dll first then if they can't find one they head for
the system32 folder.