Help! Radeon has gave me sound problems

Hi I hope someone can help me out here.

I installed a Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro today. Ever since the installation I
have had sound problems. The best way I can describe it is the sound breaks
up and crackles.

I tried rolling back drivers and nothing changed.
I downloaded the latest avance 97 drivers (Device manager says my sound is
avance) from the web, this made the problem even worse!
I've now rolled back the drivers to what they were.

My system is as follows:

Fujitsu Siemens AMD Athlon 1800xp
256mb ram
Windows XP
Radeon 9800 pro (what caused the problem!)

Many Thanks for any help offered.

Kiska

---

Try moving your sound card to a slot that's further away from your video
card. If you have onboard sound, try using a sound card and turn off the
onboard sound capability.

JK

"°Kî§ká°" <kiska@removedsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi I hope someone can help me out here.
>
> I installed a Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro today. Ever since the installation
> have had sound problems. The best way I can describe it is the sound
> breaks
> up and crackles.
>
> I tried rolling back drivers and nothing changed.
> I downloaded the latest avance 97 drivers (Device manager says my sound is
> avance) from the web, this made the problem even worse!
> I've now rolled back the drivers to what they were.
>
> My system is as follows:
>
> Fujitsu Siemens AMD Athlon 1800xp
> 256mb ram
> Windows XP
> Radeon 9800 pro (what caused the problem!)
>
> Many Thanks for any help offered.
>
> Kiska
>

> ---

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"°Kî§ká°" <kiska@removedsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi I hope someone can help me out here.
>
> I installed a Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro today. Ever since the installation
> have had sound problems. The best way I can describe it is the sound
breaks
> up and crackles.
>
> I tried rolling back drivers and nothing changed.
> I downloaded the latest avance 97 drivers (Device manager says my sound is
> avance) from the web, this made the problem even worse!
> I've now rolled back the drivers to what they were.
>
> My system is as follows:
>
> Fujitsu Siemens AMD Athlon 1800xp
> 256mb ram
> Windows XP
> Radeon 9800 pro (what caused the problem!)
>
> Many Thanks for any help offered.
>
> Kiska
>

> ---

sounds like an IRQ sharing problem to me.

Thanks for the reply : )

I have onboard sound. I think I will have to go out and buy a sound card.

I did also try downloading the latest Catalyst drivers from the ATI website
(no change).

I also tried running the Direct X diag and reducing the hardware
accelerator.

I'm at a loss now, so probably a sound card may be the next step.

Kiska

"John Hall" <johnhall11@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Try moving your sound card to a slot that's further away from your video
> card. If you have onboard sound, try using a sound card and turn off the
> onboard sound capability.
>
> JK
>
> "°Kî§ká°" <kiska@removedsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > Hi I hope someone can help me out here.
> >
> > I installed a Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro today. Ever since the
installation
> > have had sound problems. The best way I can describe it is the sound
> > breaks
> > up and crackles.
> >
> > I tried rolling back drivers and nothing changed.
> > I downloaded the latest avance 97 drivers (Device manager says my sound
is
> > avance) from the web, this made the problem even worse!
> > I've now rolled back the drivers to what they were.
> >
> > My system is as follows:
> >
> > Fujitsu Siemens AMD Athlon 1800xp
> > 256mb ram
> > Windows XP
> > Radeon 9800 pro (what caused the problem!)
> >
> > Many Thanks for any help offered.
> >
> > Kiska
> >

> > ---

---

> sounds like an IRQ sharing problem to me.

Can you explain to me what IRQ is. I'm not the brightest button with
computer hardware.

Kiska

---

"°Kî§ká°" <kiska@removedsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi I hope someone can help me out here.
>
> I installed a Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro today. Ever since the installation
> have had sound problems. The best way I can describe it is the sound
> breaks
> up and crackles.
>
> I tried rolling back drivers and nothing changed.
> I downloaded the latest avance 97 drivers (Device manager says my sound is
> avance) from the web, this made the problem even worse!
> I've now rolled back the drivers to what they were.
>
> My system is as follows:
>
> Fujitsu Siemens AMD Athlon 1800xp
> 256mb ram
> Windows XP
> Radeon 9800 pro (what caused the problem!)
>
> Many Thanks for any help offered.
>
> Kiska
>

> ---

Hey

i had a sound crackling problem and after heaps and heaps of troubleshooting
i found out it was ATItool 2.0 with the new temperature showing on the
taskbar, using ATItool has no problems but when i turn on show temp on
taskbar, i would get wicked sound issues with all games.....

--
Almeyda

AMD2500XP @3200XP-11X200-2.21Ghz
A7N8X-E Deluxe > Corsair TWINX1024 XMS3200LL DualChannel
HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @463/399 (Omegas 2.5.51 & ATI tool 0.20 No
Artifacts)
1x80GB SATA Seagate 8mg cache > 2x40GB ATA Seagate
SB AudigyES > ANTEC SuperLanboy 350 Case (350W SmartBlue PS)

Kiska, give this one a try before investing in a sound card.

The problem with onboard sound is that often it is a very cheap sound
solution with little effort made to isolate the sound circuitry from the
incredible amount of radiation that bounces around a PC case. One of the
posters here suggests that it may be an IRQ conflict, but I doubt that
because onboard sound rarely conflicts with the AGP slot that your video
card uses on the motheboard.

If you do get yourself a sound card mount the card in the PCI slot that
shares an IRQ with the onboard sound, and make sure you disable onboard
sound in the bios. That PCI slot will be at least two slots over from the
video card and you will be able to identify it in the motherboard manual.
The slot right next to the video card usually shares an IRQ with the video
card and people should not put anything there if they can avoid it. IRQs,
(Interrupt Requests) are the PC's way of allowing gatekeeping of it's
components so that the PC can run smoothly. They can either be assigned by
the motherboard through the bios, or through the operating system which is
more common these days. IRQ's can be shared through the operating system
but some components like video cards which demand a lot of a PC's resources,
sometimes do not operate as well as they can when they have to share with
another component.

JK

"Almeyda" <*SPAM*fabrizio5680@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> shares an IRQ with the onboard sound, and make sure you disable onboard
> sound in the bios. That PCI slot will be at least two slots over from the
> video card and you will be able to identify it in the motherboard manual.
> The slot right next to the video card usually shares an IRQ with the video
> card and people should not put anything there if they can avoid it. IRQs,
> (Interrupt Requests) are the PC's way of allowing gatekeeping of it's
> components so that the PC can run smoothly. They can either be assigned
by
> the motherboard through the bios, or through the operating system which is
> more common these days. IRQ's can be shared through the operating system
> but some components like video cards which demand a lot of a PC's
resources,
> sometimes do not operate as well as they can when they have to share with

Hi John,

Today after spending last night trying everything I could think of I
invested in a new sound card. I bought a creative labs 5.1 Live card and its
done the trick. I have installed it in the slot furthest away from the GC.

In a way im glad, as the difference between my old on board sound an my new
card is quite a huge improvement.

BTW many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post!!

Kiska

---

Glad it all worked out for you.