Activation Code for XP

When i bought my system, it asked me to activate XP.I did this via internet
but it never gave me a code as it was automatic. 12 months later my system
has heart failure and i needed to re-install XP.It is now asking for the
activation code of which i dont have as i said it was automatic over the net
and it never gave it or was shown to me. How do i get this?

cheers
--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in a
nice and well-preserved body,BUT rather to skid in sideways,totally used,worn

    If you mean your product key...It should be on a sticker on the side of your
    computer and/or on the installation CD. If not the supplier should be able
    to furnish it. All I know is that in my case it wasn't automatic, I had to
    enter the info.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    "vnss304" <vnss304@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When i bought my system, it asked me to activate XP.I did this via
    > internet
    > but it never gave me a code as it was automatic. 12 months later my system
    > has heart failure and i needed to re-install XP.It is now asking for the
    > activation code of which i dont have as i said it was automatic over the
    > net
    > and it never gave it or was shown to me. How do i get this?
    >

    > cheers
    > --
    > Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safe in
    > nice and well-preserved body,BUT rather to skid in sideways,totally
    > used,worn
    > out and loudly yelling."HELL YEAH WHAT A TRIP"

    Try downloading Belarc Advisor .. run it and it goves you all key codes for
    everything on your machine.

    vnss304 wrote:
    > When i bought my system, it asked me to activate XP.I did this via internet
    > but it never gave me a code as it was automatic. 12 months later my system
    > has heart failure and i needed to re-install XP.It is now asking for the
    > activation code of which i dont have as i said it was automatic over the net
    > and it never gave it or was shown to me. How do i get this?
    >

    > cheers

    There's no "activation code" to be manually input, unless you've
    already got the OS installed and are activating via the telephone.

    I suspect that what you really need to continue the installation is
    your Product Key.

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
    in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
    license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
    the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    a new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: