DirectX Test Failures- Radeon 9600xt (Urgent- Vendor Warra..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I am running an Asus P4C800-E Dlx. mainboard w/ Radeon 9600xt.

AFAIK, I followed all of the Windows XP, chipset, video, and other drivers
installations as per ABX Zone.

When I test DirectX w/ 'dxdiag' the first 6 DirectDraw tests pass and the
last one fails. The Direct3d 7 and 8 tests fail, but 9 passes. I installed
the video drivers twice. I could re-install DX9.0b.

I guess the last step would be to re-install Windows, but is there anything
else it could be? Maybe I shouldn't use all of the latest drivers and/or
patches; are there any new ones causing problems?

Thanks,
QZ

"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10ifg4873sfldd6@corp.supernews.com...
> When I test DirectX w/ 'dxdiag' the first 6 DirectDraw tests pass and the
> last one fails. The Direct3d 7 and 8 tests fail, but 9 passes. I installed
> the video drivers twice. I could re-install DX9.0b.

Actually, there are only 3 DirectDraw tests, and the last, the full screen
test, fails.
Also, the desktop is cut off at the bottom, and it appears at the top.
I did some reading about others with Directx problems, would you recommend
DX9.0a? Is there a DX9.0?
I already tried two Radeon drivers, the latest ones twice.

Thanks,
QZ

Paul

Splendid

In article <10iftk0684eejef@corp.supernews.com>, "QZ" <nothing> wrote:

> "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10ifg4873sfldd6@corp.supernews.com...
> > When I test DirectX w/ 'dxdiag' the first 6 DirectDraw tests pass and the
> > last one fails. The Direct3d 7 and 8 tests fail, but 9 passes. I installed
> > the video drivers twice. I could re-install DX9.0b.
>
> Actually, there are only 3 DirectDraw tests, and the last, the full screen
> test, fails.
> Also, the desktop is cut off at the bottom, and it appears at the top.
> I did some reading about others with Directx problems, would you recommend
> DX9.0a? Is there a DX9.0?
> I already tried two Radeon drivers, the latest ones twice.
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

Are you exceeding the capabilities of your monitor ? For example,
setting the refresh rate to 150Hz or something ?

Does it look like a monitor type problem, or a video card type
problem ?

For the test that fails, what is the error message ?

If you run a game or attempt to use 3DMark, are there
any other error messages ?

If you cannot figure it out, send the card back and have
your vendor test it. Better than being stuck with a card
you aren't sure about.

Paul

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

had same problems, and with direct sound. I reinstalled DirectX 9.0b and
solved the issue.
> In article <10iftk0684eejef@corp.supernews.com>, "QZ" <nothing> wrote:
>
> > "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message
> > > When I test DirectX w/ 'dxdiag' the first 6 DirectDraw tests pass and
the
> > > last one fails. The Direct3d 7 and 8 tests fail, but 9 passes. I
installed
> > > the video drivers twice. I could re-install DX9.0b.
> >
> > Actually, there are only 3 DirectDraw tests, and the last, the full
screen
> > test, fails.
> > Also, the desktop is cut off at the bottom, and it appears at the top.
> > I did some reading about others with Directx problems, would you
recommend
> > DX9.0a? Is there a DX9.0?
> > I already tried two Radeon drivers, the latest ones twice.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > QZ
>
> Are you exceeding the capabilities of your monitor ? For example,
> setting the refresh rate to 150Hz or something ?
>
> Does it look like a monitor type problem, or a video card type
> problem ?
>
> For the test that fails, what is the error message ?
>
> If you run a game or attempt to use 3DMark, are there
> any other error messages ?
>
> If you cannot figure it out, send the card back and have
> your vendor test it. Better than being stuck with a card
> you aren't sure about.
>
> Paul

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

> Are you exceeding the capabilities of your monitor ? For example,
> setting the refresh rate to 150Hz or something ?
>
> Does it look like a monitor type problem, or a video card type
> problem ?
>
> For the test that fails, what is the error message ?
>
> If you run a game or attempt to use 3DMark, are there
> any other error messages ?
>
> If you cannot figure it out, send the card back and have
> your vendor test it. Better than being stuck with a card
> you aren't sure about.

No, I have an LCD connected with DVI, it was automatically set to the
optimal setting of 1280x1024 60Hz. I knew that it could also be set at 75Hz,
according to the LCD instructions, but the video card panel claimed that
only 70Hz was also available, so I didn't change it at first. But today, I
thought 70Hz is still within spec, so I tried it and now the tests pass. I
then changed it to 75Hz, because that is what it is suppossed to be.

But, the screen is still getting cut off, sometimes when I reboot. The BIOS
and Windows loading screens look to be correct, but its difficult to tell.
However, the Windows welcome screen has horizontal lines that appear to be
equidistant from the top and bottom; so if it is only once I get to the
desktop, if must be a driver issue, correct? Is this most likely a DX issue?
Any advice?

Thanks,
QZ

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I tried DX 9.0c and Viewsonic Unsigned Monitor INFs and no combination
works.

Here is what I did notice, the BIOS menus and loading screen look fine, it
is the Windows loading screen where the screen gets slightly cut off at the
bottom and ghosted at the top. After a driver change and reboot, the screen
is always corrected, it is one, or at most two, reboots later that the
problem occurs again.

Also, I looked into my LCD's menu. When I select 'Auto Image Adjust' it
doesn't do anything, that tells me that the video card is sending a correct
screen, and the LCD doesn't see its own fault and doesn't adjust it.

Also, when I change the LCD's input mode from Digital to Analog, seeing as
there is no Analog connection, the screen goes blank and then switches back
to a corrected Digital Screen. The LCD re-initializing the input is
correcting it.

I will have to power off the PC and try the Analog input tommorow, my guess
is that it will work, but if it doesn't, does anyone else have a clue?

Thanks,
QZ

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

It appears as thought I have solved the problem; I turned off 'fast writes'
in the Radeon settings, and so far it has rebooted four times and the
desktop is fine, previously it was a maximum of two times. I read a thread
in the ATI NG from two days ago, and it seems it doesn't worsen video, but
can cure problems turning it off; what does 'fast writes' do anyway?

Paul

Splendid

In article <10ikjvff3u6km48@corp.supernews.com>, "QZ" <nothing> wrote:

> It appears as thought I have solved the problem; I turned off 'fast writes'
> in the Radeon settings, and so far it has rebooted four times and the
> desktop is fine, previously it was a maximum of two times. I read a thread
> in the ATI NG from two days ago, and it seems it doesn't worsen video, but
> can cure problems turning it off; what does 'fast writes' do anyway?

From the AGP20 spec (no longer available from Intel, because they
are idiots...) -

"The other enhancement to the PCI protocol is the acceleration
of memory write transactions from the corelogic to the A.G.P.
master device acting like a PCI target. This is called fast
write (FW). When the FW protocol is enabled, the PCI write data
target at the A.G.P. master transfers at the same rate as the
A.G.P. data transfers. PCI memory write targeted at the corelogic
from the A.G.P. master transfers at the PCI data rate. FW flow
control is more like A.G.P. than PCI. See Section 3.5.2.2.2 for
details."

The AGP slot uses a combination of protocols. There are transfers
via AGP protocol, at up to 8X. There are transfers that use PCI
like protocols at 66MHz. I think what they are saying above, is
when FW is enabled, the data burst gets sent on the bus at 8X
instead of the normal 1X rate. it is like DDR memory, in the sense
that DDR transfers two data chunks per clock, whereas in this case
the FW PCI protocol can transfer eight chunks in one clock.

Now, on the surface of it, that suggests a huge speedup. To
really understand what happens, you would need to know how large
the typical FW PCI transaction is - it is quite likely pretty
short, so there might not be that much performance gained with
the protocol enabled. If you run 3DMark, you can bench this
for yourself, and tell us how much difference it makes :)

HTH,
Paul

> Now, on the surface of it, that suggests a huge speedup. To
> really understand what happens, you would need to know how large
> the typical FW PCI transaction is - it is quite likely pretty
> short, so there might not be that much performance gained with
> the protocol enabled. If you run 3DMark, you can bench this
> for yourself, and tell us how much difference it makes :)

I still have the AGP at 8X. I think these two settings are independant of
one another, because AGP speed has choices of 'off', 1X and 2X are greyed
out, and then 4X and 8X. I don't fully understand how the video card works.

Unfortunately, I am still on dial-up, and 3DMark is ~150MB, IIRC. (I will be
getting DSL very soon, now that I built the new PC.) Are there any other
benchmark test programs?

I read other threads where people mention fast writes causing video
problems.

Thanks for the info.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Now on the sixth reboot, the problem is back, the desktop is cut-off, with
that small part appearing at the top of the screen.

Since there is never any problem with the BIOS screens, isn't this a
driver/setting/or maybe a monitor issue? Could there be a video card defect
that only shows itself intermittently in Windows? I just don't think so.

As I mentioned before, when I tell the LCD to adjust the screen, it finds
nothing to adjust, so I think the video card is putting out a correct
signal. Furthermore, if I switch Input modes from Digital to Analog
(nothing) to Digital, the LCD always displays a correct screen.

If it works in Analog Mode then it is definately the LCD, but if it doesn't,
who knows.

I have tried various combos of drivers from ATI, Viewsonic, and MS, as well
as changing the refresh rates, and fast writes. I will do a System Restore
to just when I installed Windows and nothing else; I think there may have
been a problem from the beginning, if so, I think this is a monitor problem,
if not then drivers/settings.

I am baffled by this problem. What else can I try to correct the desktop
screen?

Paul

Splendid

In article <10ikvgamodi3119@corp.supernews.com>, "QZ" <nothing> wrote:

> Now on the sixth reboot, the problem is back, the desktop is cut-off, with
> that small part appearing at the top of the screen.
>
> Since there is never any problem with the BIOS screens, isn't this a
> driver/setting/or maybe a monitor issue? Could there be a video card defect
> that only shows itself intermittently in Windows? I just don't think so.
>
> As I mentioned before, when I tell the LCD to adjust the screen, it finds
> nothing to adjust, so I think the video card is putting out a correct
> signal. Furthermore, if I switch Input modes from Digital to Analog
> (nothing) to Digital, the LCD always displays a correct screen.
>
> If it works in Analog Mode then it is definately the LCD, but if it doesn't,
> who knows.
>
> I have tried various combos of drivers from ATI, Viewsonic, and MS, as well
> as changing the refresh rates, and fast writes. I will do a System Restore
> to just when I installed Windows and nothing else; I think there may have
> been a problem from the beginning, if so, I think this is a monitor problem,
> if not then drivers/settings.
>
> I am baffled by this problem. What else can I try to correct the desktop
> screen?

This posting talks about using Powerstrip, to create a custom
resolution for the monitor. Powerstrip is available from
entechtaiwan.com .

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3ea70fa5%240%24166%24a1866201%40authen.newsreader.visi.com

http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Perhaps you can create a custom entry for 1280x1024, and change the
Vertical Geometry settings.

There are some examples here:
http://networkstation.sourceforge.net/fb.modes

and a little terminology explained in the figures on this page:
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/vectors/en/2003_cvt?c=eu&l=en&s=gen

I'm thinking maybe your monitor just doesn't like the default values
the ATI card is using, and is improperly acquiring vertical sync
from the card.

If you post again, please include the brand and model number
of your display, so I can do some searches to see if this is
a known problem. For the most part, LCD displays seem to be
amazingly free of such problems, as I don't see complaints from
people about them (barring the problems of using non-native
resolution, of course, and getting an ugly display).

HTH,
Paul

> This posting talks about using Powerstrip, to create a custom
> resolution for the monitor. Powerstrip is available from
> entechtaiwan.com .

> Perhaps you can create a custom entry for 1280x1024, and change the
> Vertical Geometry settings.

> I'm thinking maybe your monitor just doesn't like the default values
> the ATI card is using, and is improperly acquiring vertical sync
> from the card.
>
> If you post again, please include the brand and model number
> of your display, so I can do some searches to see if this is
> a known problem. For the most part, LCD displays seem to be
> amazingly free of such problems, as I don't see complaints from
> people about them (barring the problems of using non-native
> resolution, of course, and getting an ugly display).

I did some research on Viewsonic LCDs (my monitor is a VG191) and Radeon
cards, and I read a few posts with different problems in Digital mode. I
remember somebody was having a similar problem in Digital mode in Windows,
but also in the BIOs. Apparently this isn't a good combo, you would have
thought they would have worked out these problems by now, but maybe there is
some kind of hardware flaw in the VG191 and other early Viewsonic Digital
LCDs, that they can't correct with drivers.

Today, I connected the LCD to Analog mode and it rebooted fine five times.
The BIOS screen is now alway slightly cut-off, but I don't care about that.
What I did notice is at the recommended res. of 60Hz the text was soft, at
the next standard res. 75Hz it was ok, then at 70Hz, which the LCD doesn't
even mention, but the card defaults to, it looked just as good as Digital to
me.

Tomorrow is the last day to get an RMA, which would give me some more time,
but whatever the comparablt priced Nvidia card is, the 6800, IRCC, test show
that the text isn't quite as sharp, and that is most important to me. If
Analog mode was noticably inferior w/ATI, I would have had to decide if
going to Nvidia to get Digital would have been better, all things
considered, but it isn't.

Since 70Hz is a custom Vertical refresh, and the problem still happens
intermittently, I just thing this combo doesn't work correctly in Digital. I
guess I could try increments of one, and continually reboot, but this has
been too time-consuming as is. I will keep it in Analog mode, and reboot it
many times between today and tommorrow, so I will know if I need an RMA or
not.

Paul

Splendid

In article <10imtfk88uuhj87@corp.supernews.com>, "QZ" <nothing> wrote:

> > This posting talks about using Powerstrip, to create a custom
> > resolution for the monitor. Powerstrip is available from
> > entechtaiwan.com .
>
> > Perhaps you can create a custom entry for 1280x1024, and change the
> > Vertical Geometry settings.
>
> > I'm thinking maybe your monitor just doesn't like the default values
> > the ATI card is using, and is improperly acquiring vertical sync
> > from the card.
> >
> > If you post again, please include the brand and model number
> > of your display, so I can do some searches to see if this is
> > a known problem. For the most part, LCD displays seem to be
> > amazingly free of such problems, as I don't see complaints from
> > people about them (barring the problems of using non-native
> > resolution, of course, and getting an ugly display).
>
> I did some research on Viewsonic LCDs (my monitor is a VG191) and Radeon
> cards, and I read a few posts with different problems in Digital mode. I
> remember somebody was having a similar problem in Digital mode in Windows,
> but also in the BIOs. Apparently this isn't a good combo, you would have
> thought they would have worked out these problems by now, but maybe there is
> some kind of hardware flaw in the VG191 and other early Viewsonic Digital
> LCDs, that they can't correct with drivers.
>
> Today, I connected the LCD to Analog mode and it rebooted fine five times.
> The BIOS screen is now alway slightly cut-off, but I don't care about that.
> What I did notice is at the recommended res. of 60Hz the text was soft, at
> the next standard res. 75Hz it was ok, then at 70Hz, which the LCD doesn't
> even mention, but the card defaults to, it looked just as good as Digital to
> me.
>
> Tomorrow is the last day to get an RMA, which would give me some more time,
> but whatever the comparablt priced Nvidia card is, the 6800, IRCC, test show
> that the text isn't quite as sharp, and that is most important to me. If
> Analog mode was noticably inferior w/ATI, I would have had to decide if
> going to Nvidia to get Digital would have been better, all things
> considered, but it isn't.
>
> Since 70Hz is a custom Vertical refresh, and the problem still happens
> intermittently, I just thing this combo doesn't work correctly in Digital. I
> guess I could try increments of one, and continually reboot, but this has
> been too time-consuming as is. I will keep it in Analog mode, and reboot it
> many times between today and tommorrow, so I will know if I need an RMA or
> not.

I guess you aren't alone:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=RP7M9.2528%244k6.292741%40wards

If there was a widespread problem with the VG191, you would think
there would be more postings in Google. The digital connection is
a high speed signal, and needs a good cable if it is being clocked
near its limits. I don't think the protocol has any error detection,
so if the cable or signal itself was bad, I would first expect to
see "snow" on the screen, as an indication that the digital signal
was marginal.

Your problem sounds like it is related to vertical sync, and I
had hoped if you adjusted the parameters with Powerstrip, it would
settle down.

ATI knows there is a problem too :) Different card.
http://ebhs-129-33-163-54.tor.usf.ibm.com/support/infobase/3993.html

Paul

> I guess you aren't alone:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=RP7M9.2528%244k6.292741%40wards
>
> If there was a widespread problem with the VG191, you would think
> there would be more postings in Google. The digital connection is
> a high speed signal, and needs a good cable if it is being clocked
> near its limits. I don't think the protocol has any error detection,
> so if the cable or signal itself was bad, I would first expect to
> see "snow" on the screen, as an indication that the digital signal
> was marginal.
>
> Your problem sounds like it is related to vertical sync, and I
> had hoped if you adjusted the parameters with Powerstrip, it would
> settle down.
>
> ATI knows there is a problem too :) Different card.
> http://ebhs-129-33-163-54.tor.usf.ibm.com/support/infobase/3993.html

If I re-connect the Digital mode, I have to reboot at each setting a minimum
of three times to test it out. If I could see the difference I would, but I
just don't. And also, I think the video card is recognizing this timing
issue, and that is why it is defaulting to the non-standard 70Hz Vertical.
Maybe it should be something close to this to work *always*, I don't know.
Maybe I'll try to change the settings, but being an intermittent problem,
although somewhat predictable, it would be annoying to try to fix.

I read of someone complaining that the Analog was terrible compared to
Digital w/ this LCD and an ATI card, but he was probably using 60Hz or 75Hz,
because at 70Hz it looks great.

My parents have a VG175 (17.4") (analog only) and Voodoo3, it gives a
garbled desktop at 60Hz, but is fine at 75Hz. Funny though, that the card
was working at 32-bit color, when I was using it on the VG191, but only does
16-bit on the VG175. Makes me want to get two new LCDs, but they were too
expensive, and we haven't had them that much time. The VG175 is from 3.75
yrs. ago, and the VG191 is from 2.75 yrs. ago. Eventually, though, I will
get something else, and they will get the VG191.

TRENDING THREADS