Blaster worm behaviors once I loaded MSN Messenger 6.2

I have XP Pro SP2 installed. Shortly after I installed MSN Messenger 6.2 I
began to get the familiar "Services and Controller app" dialog that asks me
to send the report to MS. I do each time. As soon as I press "Send Report"
I get the "System Shutdown" dialog with the messgage
"The system is shutting down. Please save...<omit verbiage> initiated by NT
AUTHORITY\SYSTEM"

-and-

"The system process ...services.exe terminated unexpectedly with a return
code of -1."

What gives? I am patched for Blaster and direvitives and even ran
"BlasterFix.exe". It said all clear. There were no suspicious registry
entries.

This started after MSN Mgr 6.2 was added. I saw lots of posts but no
resolutions. Also, MSN Mgr 7 Beta was attacked as well.

Please advise.
3 answers Last reply
More about blaster worm behaviors loaded messenger

    "Keith-Earl" <keith_NO_SPAM_HERE_rowe79@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | I have XP Pro SP2 installed. Shortly after I installed MSN Messenger 6.2 I
    | began to get the familiar "Services and Controller app" dialog that asks me
    | to send the report to MS. I do each time. As soon as I press "Send Report"
    | I get the "System Shutdown" dialog with the messgage
    | "The system is shutting down. Please save...<omit verbiage> initiated by NT
    | AUTHORITY\SYSTEM"
    |
    | -and-
    |
    | "The system process ...services.exe terminated unexpectedly with a return
    | code of -1."
    |
    | What gives? I am patched for Blaster and direvitives and even ran
    | "BlasterFix.exe". It said all clear. There were no suspicious registry
    | entries.
    |
    | This started after MSN Mgr 6.2 was added. I saw lots of posts but no
    | resolutions. Also, MSN Mgr 7 Beta was attacked as well.
    |
    | Please advise.

    A system shutown message is NOT always indicative of the Lovsan/Blaster and you have not
    provided the information that makes it a RPC/RPCSS exploitation issue.

    --
    Dave

    David,

    Sorry, I do not understand this part
    "you have not provided the information that makes it a RPC/RPCSS
    exploitation issue."

    What other info do you need? What should I do to debug this condition?

    Thanks,

    Keith

    "Keith-Earl" <k@k.com> wrote in message news:uEb%233YBIFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
    | David,
    |
    | Sorry, I do not understand this part
    | "you have not provided the information that makes it a RPC/RPCSS
    | exploitation issue."
    |
    | What other info do you need? What should I do to debug this condition?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Keith

    Supply the EXACT words in the error message and/or shutdown window.

    --
    Dave

MSN Messenger Windows XP