Windows Firewall - ICS Error

March 2, 2005 2:29:03 PM

I did setup WinXp Pro SP2 - Windows Firewall from Control Panel. After
Install of Microsoft AntiSpyware and running for month. But from yesterday I
am unable to even open the Windows Firewall and following mesage appears.
>D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs Error 10047

Control Panel---> Windows Firewall [ I get message - Windows Firewall
settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running.
Do you want to start the windows Firewll/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
service? Yes/NO
then on clicking Yes message comes - Starting Windows Firewall ICS sharing
... then message box comes as:-
Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Conection Sharing (ICS)
service. ok
From Services Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on
Local Computer.
Security - Error 10047: An address incompatible with the request protocol
was used.
System>16:48:09 Service Control Manager Event Id: 7023
The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service terminated
with the following error: An address incompatible with the requested protocol
was used. For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Please advise what caused this
and how can I revert back to open windows Firewall.

Event Id: 7035t he Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
service was successfully sent a start control. For more information, see
16:48:09 Event Id: 7036 The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS) service entered the stopped state.
Tried SFC only on run but no dialog box opened.
Also reapplied SP2 still cannot open Windows firewall.
mukesh111@hotmail.com
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:13:56 AM

The following fixed my problem:
Start/Run --> cmd.exe

and then, in the command prompt, type:

netsh.exe winsock reset

and hit Enter

If that doesn't cut it, try this one

It happened after I removed adware using MS Antispyware

Kenny

"mukesh" <mukesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I did setup WinXp Pro SP2 - Windows Firewall from Control Panel. After
> Install of Microsoft AntiSpyware and running for month. But from yesterday
> am unable to even open the Windows Firewall and following mesage appears.
>>D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs Error 10047
>
> Control Panel---> Windows Firewall [ I get message - Windows Firewall
> settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not
> running.
> Do you want to start the windows Firewll/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
> service? Yes/NO
> then on clicking Yes message comes - Starting Windows Firewall ICS sharing
> .. then message box comes as:-
> Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Conection Sharing (ICS)
> service. ok
> From Services Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service
> on
> Local Computer.
> Security - Error 10047: An address incompatible with the request protocol
> was used.
> System>16:48:09 Service Control Manager Event Id: 7023
> The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service terminated
> with the following error: An address incompatible with the requested
> protocol
> was used. For more information, see Help and Support Center at
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Please advise what caused this
> and how can I revert back to open windows Firewall.
>
> Event Id: 7035t he Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
> service was successfully sent a start control. For more information, see
> 16:48:09 Event Id: 7036 The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
> (ICS) service entered the stopped state.
> Tried SFC only on run but no dialog box opened.
> Also reapplied SP2 still cannot open Windows firewall.
> mukesh111@hotmail.com
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:24:06 AM

after resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which are
layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are firewalls
and anti-virus/anti-spyware.
--
David
Microsoft Windows Networking