VGA Silencer Problem: Can't remove heatsink

I have Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (Brand unknown) which I'm trying
to install an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer onto. However, I'm
_really_ stuck.

According to the instructions, the barbs on the back of the board
for the original heatsink should be easy to squash enough so they
can be forced back through the holes in the boards. Not mine.
The barbs seem almost solid, so squeezing with a pliers has only
succeeded in mangling them without squashing them enough to fit
through the holes. I've tried to cut the bards, but can't get enough
leverage, and the plastic they're made from is pretty tough.
It's definitely not the heatsink itself that is stuck by adhesive,
as it now moves around quite a bit.

Please help :(

P.

Worked for me, must be you.

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (Brand unknown) which I'm trying
> to install an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer onto. However, I'm
> _really_ stuck.
>
> According to the instructions, the barbs on the back of the board
> for the original heatsink should be easy to squash enough so they
> can be forced back through the holes in the boards. Not mine.
> The barbs seem almost solid, so squeezing with a pliers has only
> succeeded in mangling them without squashing them enough to fit
> through the holes. I've tried to cut the bards, but can't get enough
> leverage, and the plastic they're made from is pretty tough.
> It's definitely not the heatsink itself that is stuck by adhesive,
> as it now moves around quite a bit.
>
> Please help :(
>
> P.

Jd

Those plastic things can be very tough sometimes, maybe try a dremel type
tool?

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (Brand unknown) which I'm trying
> to install an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer onto. However, I'm
> _really_ stuck.
>
> According to the instructions, the barbs on the back of the board
> for the original heatsink should be easy to squash enough so they
> can be forced back through the holes in the boards. Not mine.
> The barbs seem almost solid, so squeezing with a pliers has only
> succeeded in mangling them without squashing them enough to fit
> through the holes. I've tried to cut the bards, but can't get enough
> leverage, and the plastic they're made from is pretty tough.
> It's definitely not the heatsink itself that is stuck by adhesive,
> as it now moves around quite a bit.
>
> Please help :(
>
> P.

I had the problem, too. The barbs were designed to be tough, to provide
consistent heat sink contact pressure. You need a good pair of needle-nose
pliers to remove them cleanly. I didn't have a pair on hand so I just cut
the barbs with snips... To use the OEM cooler again, I can always use a
couple of M4 screws padded by plastic washers.

Just be careful to not damage any surface-mount components near the holes.

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (Brand unknown) which I'm trying
> to install an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer onto. However, I'm
> _really_ stuck.
>
> According to the instructions, the barbs on the back of the board
> for the original heatsink should be easy to squash enough so they
> can be forced back through the holes in the boards. Not mine.
> The barbs seem almost solid, so squeezing with a pliers has only
> succeeded in mangling them without squashing them enough to fit
> through the holes. I've tried to cut the bards, but can't get enough
> leverage, and the plastic they're made from is pretty tough.
> It's definitely not the heatsink itself that is stuck by adhesive,
> as it now moves around quite a bit.
>
> Please help :(
>
> P.

On 8/22/2004 4:04 PM First of One brightened our day with:

>I had the problem, too. The barbs were designed to be tough, to provide
>consistent heat sink contact pressure. You need a good pair of needle-nose
>pliers to remove them cleanly. I didn't have a pair on hand so I just cut
>the barbs with snips... To use the OEM cooler again, I can always use a
>couple of M4 screws padded by plastic washers.
>
>Just be careful to not damage any surface-mount components near the holes.

I need a good pair of needle-nose pliers just to get through the day.

--
History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤

Are you a dentist? :)

"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
> I need a good pair of needle-nose pliers just to get through the day.
>
> --
> History shows again and again
> How nature points up the folly of men
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤

geoff

Paul Moloney wrote:
> I have Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (Brand unknown) which I'm trying
> to install an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer onto. However, I'm
> _really_ stuck.
>
> According to the instructions, the barbs on the back of the board
> for the original heatsink should be easy to squash enough so they
> can be forced back through the holes in the boards. Not mine.
> The barbs seem almost solid, so squeezing with a pliers has only
> succeeded in mangling them without squashing them enough to fit
> through the holes. I've tried to cut the bards, but can't get enough
> leverage, and the plastic they're made from is pretty tough.
> It's definitely not the heatsink itself that is stuck by adhesive,
> as it now moves around quite a bit.
>
> Please help :(
>
> P.

you just squash em, and they middle bit pops down, so it can fit thru

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:03:46 GMT, "JimDavis"
<JimDavis34353@Hotmail.com> wrote:

>Worked for me, must be you.

If you have nothing nice to say to help this poor chap......don't say
anything, kid. Didn't your parents raise you semi-decently?
Damn teenagers, these days...

On 22 Aug 2004 14:45:28 -0700, paul_moloney@hotmail.com (Paul Moloney)
wrote:

>I have Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (Brand unknown) which I'm trying
>to install an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer onto. However, I'm
>_really_ stuck.
>
>According to the instructions, the barbs on the back of the board
>for the original heatsink should be easy to squash enough so they
>can be forced back through the holes in the boards. Not mine.
>The barbs seem almost solid, so squeezing with a pliers has only
>succeeded in mangling them without squashing them enough to fit
>through the holes. I've tried to cut the bards, but can't get enough
>leverage, and the plastic they're made from is pretty tough.
>It's definitely not the heatsink itself that is stuck by adhesive,
>as it now moves around quite a bit.
>
>Please help :(
>
>P.

The thing is, pull UP the pins on the top side of the card, maybe
1/8"/3mm, and then flip and squeeze, poke them out while squeezing. Once
you pull the pins up, squeeze just a little to get them started, then
poke them thru, shouldn't be a problem.

I too, had this problem until I discovered the pin pull-up trick!!

"JimDavis" <JimDavis34353@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Worked for me, must be you.

Twat.

PLONK.

hi
if its a ati or copy heatsink you need to pull the 2 pins out of the top
of the clips then you can squeeze bottoms together

smiffy

TRENDING THREADS